Cost of living in medellin and informations about Health Insurance

Hola!
My name is Jade from Seattle. Ive heard a lot of positive things about Medellin and am looking to perhaps spend a year living in this amazing city, studying Spanish and dancing the Argentine Tango.

It would be great if I can get some information on the cost and standard of living in this great city. Ive been doing research online but would be great if I can have someone to communicate with.  I am also interested in information on medical health insurance.

Thank you and I appreciated being a part of this community.

Cheers,
Jade

Hi there,
My name is Jade and I am thinking of living in Medellin for one year. I don't speak Spanish and would like to start learning before I move. I am connecting with a couple other Spanish teachers in Columbia but am wondering if you teach via Skype?  What is your rate? 

Thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers,
Jade

i dont teach but i do live in colombia
and ill be glad to help you if needed
my skype is vacationsextreme
[email protected]
my name is benjamin

Hello  :cheers:

Kindly note that a new thread has been created as from your posts on the Medellin Forum so as to bring more light to the queries of Jade.

Regards

Kenjee

hi jade,
i lived in Medellin for 2 months last summer and loved it.  i found it very inexpensive - $1 each way for bus and metro - can't beat that!  i rented a room in a Very nice apartment that was housing 2 other Americans (a married couple) and then the owner who was just such a sweetheart (single woman).  i paid $450/mo for a very nice room in a great location - close to everything, esp the Metro.  i don't know about the health insurance but things are so inexpensive that you can almost pay for everything.  i broke my toe and had an x-ray and dr visit for about $135 for everything - that would have cost a fortune in the US.  there is a great school for learning Spanish there - EAFIT - it's a university with spanish classes offered.  UPB is another university offering them which i heard from several people was not that great.  there are LOTS of spanish teachers there that you can pay hourly also.  if you have any questions, please let me know - send to my email - [email protected].  i would be happy to help you out.  thinking of going back for a visit in november.  :-)  i was going like 3-4 times/yr and now haven't been since last summer.  december is a Great time to be there with all the festivities and beautiful las luces de Navidad (Christmas lights).  :-)

Linda