Moving to Madagascar - bringing our belongings in as excess baggage

Hi,

We will soon be moving to Madagascar to work, we will be bringing a few things with us (mostly toys/books for our little girl). We have 3-4 extra boxes on top of our airline luggage allowance and thought it might be easier to pay for excess baggage rather than air freighting them with a shipping company.

Does anyone have any experience of moving to Madagascar with excess baggage? Do we need to fill in declaration forms, did you belongings get held up at customs?

many thanks
Becki

Hi,

A friend told me that you can bring along excess luggage with Air France - 2 x 23kg.
Plus 12kg of cabin luggage for free.

As of May 27, 2014 - quite recent - : AF 2 x 23 kg,
if you have even more luggage, it costs 5 /kg, which means with another additional 23 kg
you would have to pay 116  (Paris -Tana).

But to be on the safe side, I would always contact the airline before bringing along the luggage.

hi buy experience if you paid the airline for the extra baggage it ok when you arrived....oh yes going to live there.. you found a job there if so lucky...i would love to go there and live there

You will need to fill declarations forms as you normally would. I have never had a problem, although a friend of mine was stopped once and question if she was going to resell the items she was bringing.... Just be ready to open up anything and show the customs guys what';s inside and you shouldnt have a problem.  I agree with you though... sometimes its much easier to bring the stuff over! Be warned, Air Madagascar has a challenging time NOT losing baggage so if they are one of your carriers, be prepared.  Although they have found my bags each time they were lost. 
Good luck with the move!

On a side note though, you will be able to find lots of great toys here at the different shops in Madagascar, although no English children's books ( I have them sent over constantly)...

Devyn