Employment Offer

Hello Everyone,

I would appreciate any comments about this employment offer I have for Saudi Arabia. It's for an English Teacher position. I have 7 years experience, bachelor's degree (non-related to ELT), and a CELTA Certification.

The salary offer is 12,000 SAR/month with these conditions:

The following conditions of employment are agreed:

1. He is employed by this Academy under the Job Title (English Teacher)

2. His services can be utilized anywhere in the kingdom depending on the requirements of the academy.

3. He is required to Work 48 hours per week from Sunday to Thursday, from 7:45 AM to 12:00 noon and from 4:00 PM to 9:00 PM. Saturday from 10 AM and 12 Noon, Saturday evening and Friday are off (30 Teaching hours per week). Schedule is changeable according to the necessity of work.

4. The employee will abide by the current internal policy of the academy and by the Laws, and Regulations of the Government of Saudi Arabia.

5. Basic salary: 11000 SR + Food Allowance: 1,000 = 12000 SR (tax free).

6. Furnished housing and transportation will be provided (private room with shared bathroom).

7. The second party will be ready to work outside working hours and in this case the payment will be (40) SR per hour.

8. The second party will be ready to work anywhere in the Kingdom.

9. The employee must adhere to the Academys dress code which is a complete suit and tie during working hours.

10. The academy will provide the employee 30 days annual paid leave. No vacation is allowed at all before the completion of eleven months and it will be subject to work condition.

11.  Teachers who work in University project will be entitled for the whole summer vacation (for those who are not needed in summer classes).

12. The academy will provide the employee with annual / return air ticket to his home country upon the completion of one year's work. (Re-entry visa)

13. The academy will pay for the Iqama renewal of the employee.

14. The academy will provide Medical Insurance for the employee, in accordance with the Academy medical insurance policy.

15. The duration of contract of Agreement is one year, which is renewable as per the needs of Academy and likes of the Employee. The contract starts from the date of work initiation.

16. In case of resignation or being dismissed off, the employee is not allowed to come back to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for work before the end of two years, according to the labor law of the Saudi Arabian System.

17. In the event of termination of this contract before the contract period, the Academy will give a written notice of 30 days to the employee.

18. In the event of the employee, resigning or not renewing this contract, the employee needs to give a written notice of 90 days to the Management of the Academy.

19. In case of non-completion of the contract the employee will be obligated to pay back one month's salary to the Academy for the entire fees of his recruitment (in addition to the 90 days notice period).

20. If any other problems occur during the contract, between the Management of the Academy and the Employee, the Labor Laws of Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, will be the base for settlement.

21. This appointment is made on a probation period of 90 days, if the employee is not found suitable for the job, the Academy only will have the right to terminate his services and terminate his contract.

if the experience directly correlates with ESL teaching 12K SAR is too low

What would be a good salary range?

sorry to ask which country is he from?

sorry to ask which country is he from?that salary is tooooooo low ! if from UK stay there. they say tax free but in comparison to uk that salary is after you have paid your tax and national insurance!!negotiate for 18000SAR. they can terminate your contract as it suites them!!

UnIted States.

its toooooooooo little!he will be expected to travel to other areas according to the needs of the academy?
that sounds like abuse, and very possible he will travel long journeys. all i can say is weigh your options . i am from the uk and in nursing, wouldnt take that salary.
i am leaving the company end of the year, due to fact that they are not sticking to contractual agreements as stipulated. there are no unions here to support workers hence the boss knows best even if in the wrong!
good luck any way

Nationality counts a lot here. Whats yours?  If you are an Asian, it is fine enough. If you are from Europe ( Non-native English) and if you are an American, sky is the limit.

What if your from the UK and hold a masters certificate in ESOL, how much should you roughly looking to get working in a University? Would 12,000 Sr a month be  a waste of time.

depends on lifestyle . how much would you earn in the Uk for the same job? divide 12000 by 6.4 , then you get your pounds equivalent. not a lot of money and not even taxfree for a registered nurse !!

while nationality does matter, non-ESL related degree + celta 12K SAR is about standard going rate. what will make a difference  and can be your negotiation leverage is your experience -  IF  IT'S RELATED TO ESL field -

Thank you all for your comments. It's much appreciated.

And yes, my 7 years experience is teaching ESL in South Korea.

go for it, and negotiate a larger basic salary based on your experience.