Coming to England with my Egyptian partner - formalities for visa/work

I am a British woman with an Egyptian partner who would like to come to England to be with me. Maybe just for a few months initially, to see if he could settle here, or whether we would both be happier in Egypt.
I would very much like to know from anyone who has already travelled this road, what we need to do in order to obtain a work permit......visa......or what ever other things we need.
Any other information would be great guys!!!!

Hi MnadieR,

Your topic is now on the England forum for more visibility. :)

Thank you,

Priscilla

thank you for that. I am still working my way around your website x

HELLO Mnadie,

I have lived in the UK , Saudi and Pakistan and have travelled extensively for a long time. I have seen a lot of such "mixed marriages" many worked, many did not.

The first point you will note which is very funny though , is that these relationships are viewed with a lot of suspicion in the UK because it is taken as a relationship of convenience as if you are helping a foreigner to enter a EU country whose main intention is to acquire residence there.

This suspicion is multiplied many fold if there is an age difference between two of you.

I suggest you take an appointment with a Visa officer at the British High Commission and arrange a meeting and explain the whole situation to him, your partner will need to apply for a Visitor's or a Tourist visa for the UK and the main concern of the British High Commission will be where your friend will be living and how he will be financially supporting him self.

You have a strong case if you are professionally qualified, have your own  house and have sufficient savings.

The visa officer's next concern will be that once you are in the UK , will you get married and file an application for permanent residence of your friend?.

Hello MnadieR

I think that you should take a look at the U.K. Government website: www.gov.uk/government/organisations/uk- … mmigration

This explains what is required to stay in the UK and work here. But remember that your income is checked to ensure that you can support your guest whilst he looks for employment.

Good luck,

Chuckle Butty

Hi there and thank you so much for your reply. Although there was nothing in what you have written that I am not suprised about  :)
We realise and accpept that there will always be a certain amount of scepticism in these sorts of relationships, but thank you for the information that you have given and we will be sure to follow it all up.

Mandie

Hello Mandie,

I forgot to mention that whilst your friend is in the UK, he will not be allowed to enter into any kind of employment since he will be on a Tourist, Visitor or a Business Visa.

Your case becomes strong if you get married in Egypt and you apply for your friend's visa in Cairo, but of course I understand you can not rush things!

Hi again,
wow that is something that we needed to know. We are already married but only an urfa marriage so not ever sure ifit is recognised over here.
He does want to work here too so maybe he needs to apply for a different kind of visa......maybe a working visa, or is that a really hard done to get?

Hello Mandie,

I think by URFA marriage you mean the Islamic Marriage in Egypt which is the first step.

I suggest you talk to the UK Embassy, they are professionals and I believe your case is genuine therefore you should not face many problems.

You will need the English translation of the Marriage Certificate from the Egyptian Department of Births marriages and deaths.

The type of visa you will need is " Visa for a non EU spouse" initially where I repeat the main concern of the UK government will be the minimum salary of the working spouse and an assurity that your partner will not be a burden on the British Social Security System.

Thank you so very much for all your input. Really appreciate the time you taking to reply.
Mandie x

get marry in UK Court

Hi there,
Thank you for your reply. We can only get married in the UK court if he gets his visa to come to the UK :)

is he Muslim ????

Hello Mandie,

I believe it is the beauty of a forum that you get different point of views which are of course the reflection of the experience and the circumstance most expats have gone through in their lives.

I am sure after listening to them all, a mature person arrives at a conclusion which in most cases is the 'ideal path'.

A lot of your acquaintances ( I will not call them friends!) will suggest to you to take a few short cuts,  I will mention a few of them , for example a) Your partner goes to Germany on a tourist visa, you go there too, you get married there, your papers become the basis for his entry in the UK b) Your partner comes to the UK on a student visa, you meet in a park, fall in love and get married and file a case for his residence.

The answer is NO !

You must not mis declare any fact, be honest to yourselves and the authorities and I can bet, things may delay a little but you will be able to settle 'Peacefully'.

What ever you do, please keep the forum members informed about the out come of the steps you have taken. It will help a lot of expats!

While you are in Egypt, it is a wonderful opportunity to learn about Islam as a religion and Islam as a culture, make the best out of it.

Wish you good luck.

He's your partner, so why aren't you applying for a partner / spouse visa?
You are expected to apply for the correct type of visa; even if its to come to UK for a trial period then this must be the correct one.

thankyou for your message.
I now know which type of visa we have to apply for

What you are planning is not possible.

All you have to do is get a job paying £18k plus for 6 months at which point  you can then apply. Before that the spouse is not allowed into the UK, so count on 7-10 months apart.

That used to be the case; and still is, but cannot be applied for from abroad and must have a uk job paying £18k for six months.

thank you for your message. Do u mean he would have to have a job that pays him in excess of 18k in Egypt tho?

Not really, the rule is it is you who is sponsoring a non EU spouse in the UK therefore you need to get a job which pays you in access of UK Pound 356 pw  (18600 pa) for six months.

Once you have the documentary evidence on your earnings, you can apply for the entry visa for your spouse.

ahhh I see, thank you so much for that information. I dont know how far your knowledge extends, but I am on long term disability. I have been for the last 12 years as i have an incurable disease which limits my capability to walk and work etc. I also receive ESA benefits because I am unable to work.
Do you know if this would negatively effect our application for his visa?

The other person's reply is correct. It is you that must earn the £18k.

However there is a complication in your case. I spoke to an Egyptian about your form of marriage and he says that this "marriage" is not marriage at all even in Egypt.

You might be interested in this : - danielpipes.org/comments/194466

If you are claiming money from the state then you are not allowed to bring a spouse into the UK.

ahhhhh damn.....ok. We went to solicitors though and had witnesses for it, so I am confused. But thankyou so much for all your help.

Hi all urfi marriage is not trusted in Egypt unless you have a sentence from the cort that the marriage is trusted and it is a small case normally doesn't take more than 3 months or the Easiest way is to get married in the UK embassy and it's not that much costy its just about 1000 egp or around not to much plus some steps in the Egyptian minister of foreign affairs of Egypt and then both marriage contracts will be trusted but about how to get your husband to the UK
I need help myself to know
My case is that me and my fiance are students and we plan to get married next year she will be still student by this time for one more year and I wanted to join her in UK for that year so Any Advice?
Ps: her father wanted to help us but he don't know how. And he works and has a good job in a company

A non-EU spouse cannot join the UK spouse unless the UK partner has a job playing more than £18,600.
This rule had been ratified by the Court of Appeal.
The advice given above that just getting married in the UK embassy is an easy way to import a spouse - is simply false.

MnadieR wrote:

ahhhhh damn.....ok. We went to solicitors though and had witnesses for it, so I am confused. But thankyou so much for all your help.

That's the problem with these marriages. They are confusing. And to be honest, best avoided. I myself got myself involved in a similar situation, and regret it terribly. I hope you don't do the same mistake, I and many have done.

MnadieR wrote:

I am a British woman with an Egyptian partner who would like to come to England to be with me. Maybe just for a few months initially, to see if he could settle here, or whether we would both be happier in Egypt.
I would very much like to know from anyone who has already travelled this road, what we need to do in order to obtain a work permit......visa......or what ever other things we need.
Any other information would be great guys!!!!

Why don't try the surrender sign

"The Surinder Singh route involves living and working elsewhere in the European Economic Area"

She mentioned she is disabled & unable to work.

Oh yeah I missed that part
anyway I think even if she has the ability to work for her own which could be easier than working for someone else so she can do it
or they still can go to anywhere else in the EEA and he can work and they stay till he gets his residence status after that he can move to UK easier
I am not sure about the idea but it seems working if someone can confirm that
Its also idea what about finding him a job in the UK I think that should get him to the UK

She obtains ESA (Disability benefits), and from my limited knowledge, I don't think it makes any sense to receive disability benefits when you say you can not physically work, then travel to a foreign country, and work there. Also she would have to find a way to pay for rent, utilities and other necessities. Rent is covered for her here, not sure it would be in a foreign country. So there is a lot of obstacles to deal with. I don't think it's practical at all.

Finding him a job in the UK? You think finding a job in the UK is easy? He must have something that is in demand, and can not be filled by someone here. Not just that, remember that other EU citizens are competing for jobs here too, and they don't require a visa. So only adds to the difficulty for those outside the EU. And quite frankly, if he did indeed have something in demand (such as a highly skilled Doctor etc), he would be able to obtain a work permit, surely.

I just try to give some ideas for help

I am not criticising you. I'm just simply saying why it may not work, especially as you're in a similar situation, so it's for your benefit too. Your ideas aren't stupid, but in her case in particular, I don't think it would work. Someone else may find it possible to work abroad and use the route you suggested.

Why don't you wait for her to complete her studies. She may then obtain a job that fulfils the financial requirements, or she can use the route you mentioned, and both of you can then move here. Or she can pause her studies, work, you come, then continue her studies? I'm sure there are a few possible options for you to consider. I don't believe it's impossible.

XB23 wrote:

I am not criticising you. I'm just simply saying why it may not work, especially as you're in a similar situation, so it's for your benefit too. Your ideas aren't stupid, but in her case in particular, I don't think it would work. Someone else may find it possible to work abroad and use the route you suggested.

Why don't you wait for her to complete her studies. She may then obtain a job that fulfils the financial requirements, or she can use the route you mentioned, and both of you can then move here. Or she can pause her studies, work, you come, then continue her studies? I'm sure there are a few possible options for you to consider. I don't believe it's impossible.

:) I did not say you criticising me
I understand
for me I the only problem I have is the political situation in Egypt which effect my work as Arabic teacher for non Arab
other than that I am fine here
for me I will wait till she finish her college and then we will see if we will stay in Egypt for a while or we will go to somewhere else
anyway she doesn't want to stay in UK that why we choose to go to somewhere in Europe as it is still close to her home country for emergency things
but actually we didn't sort out the country of Europe yet as we still do researchs about the best place to go where both of us can get a job and have less racing against me as Arab or Muslim especially with my name Is ( Islam ) LoL

I know you didn't say I'm criticising you, but I'm just letting you know that I'm not. Sometimes it's difficult to tell whether the person is being negative or not, over the internet.

Anyway, England is very tolerant as far as I'm concerned! As you know, there is already a large Muslim community here. A lot of Arabs work here, so you will fit in without any problems, depending on where you will live, if in a large city like London, then great. Admittedly racism is rising, but that's not limited to England, but throughout Europe as a whole, more so in certain countries, such as France. But that hasn't stopped immigrants seeking better opportunities from coming, so no reason for it to stop you.

I understand your situation. It's unfortunate that bad people have ruined the marriage visa for everyone, forcing the governments to tighten up their laws. A couple of years ago, you didn't have to go through the requirements that they now have. It's ashame, as it's spoilt it for genuine partners.

Any ideas about what I should do to marry my English fiance in Egypt after the Embassy closing

I think u need to apply for spouse visa but u need to go on gov website u will find all info u need