First post! Single guy no dependents offered 10,000 MYR/mo.

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I was just offered a job as an instructional designer at the Learning Port company in Bangsar South.  They're in that swanky office complex The Horizon, which, from studying the map, looks a bit isolated from more "happening" areas and cut off from public transportation. I dread the thought of having a car in KL.

Should 10K MYR be acceptable for a single guy with no dependents to have a reasonably decent lifestyle in KL? I don't have expensive taste in furnishings or have the need for a huge apartment.  Good socializing for me is an occasional beer at a pub, exploring the city on train and foot, cafe for reading and people watching, a live band once in awhile, and an occasional long weekend to another location in the region.

How much money should I have on hand when I arrive so that I can make sure all of my upfront expenses can be taken care of smoothly? What's a reasonable rent for a decent 1BR apt?

Please at your convenience share your opinions and answers and any good stories of your excitement/frustrations during your settling in period in KL - I would love to hear about your experiences, warts and all. Thanks!

Cheers,
Jim

Hi its enough if you have no debts and no wish to save assuming you travel a bit. If young and single enjoy the nightlife ;)

You will need 3,000-4,000 USD at least. Apartment will be 2.5 months depo and a months living expenses. Also 26% flat rate tax bites until tax resident.

Rent well a flat share from 1,000rm (small room) and 2,000 rm upwards for own place.

Take the offer. But you will be a lonely person unless you can adapt to the local environment and I think you may be a poser who is just out to impress and push people away from you.

You have the wrong person. I've never posted here before. Just asking honest questions.

Yes, saw your other posts on different fora. 5 months before you left......

Never posted here before. I think you have me mixed up with a different person.  No posing or pretentiousness intended whatsoever. I honestly don't know how far a salary stretches in KL and just thought I'd ask.

You know:

Sooner than I expected, a company in KL offered me a position as an instructional designer. What had been "let me test the waters" not long ago has quickly turned into "should I accept and just go for it?" Most of what I read, warts and all, indicates that KL is a pretty cool place and would be a great life adventure.

I guess I'd like to know any pros and cons people might have specific to a completely unattached 44 year old single male from the USA who loves big cities, great food, travel, and an occasional beer or live music show. And of course, I'd like to know how people found the adjustment, and how easy it was to hook into a good crowd and make friends.

I know these vague, general, "thinking of moving!" threads probably get posted all the time, but I really don't know where to start, aside from good negotiating with the employer, as far as getting good, honest advice. Thanks to anyone who can share.

Next

Thanks. I have heard about issues relating to traffic and security. I am hoping to strategically locate somewhere where I can take advantage of public transportation. Also, I think I'm fairly streetwise and have common sense dealing with urban chaos. I lived in Kabul for a little while!

My needs are not extravagant - I don't need a huge living space, and I don't spend a lot on social endeavors. I like to have a handful of fun interesting friends that like to explore cities, people watch, and have a getaway once in awhile.

My last "go live abroad" experience was to Oman and it didn't last long. I was caught up in the desire to just go. I took the first job I was qualified for and ran off. I was back in the USA within 5 months. I just want to make sure that I ask all the right questions, study the detailed pros and cons, and feel more positive and excited about my decision rather than end up wallowing in regret either way I choose.

Thanks again!

More:

I was offered 10,000 MYR per month salary and they want me to be over there and start on August 7th. To me this is WAY too soon for me to shut down my life here in the USA and show up for a job on the other side of the world.

Is this a reasonable salary for a single guy with no dependents? Given the taxes and cost of living in KL, would I be able to live a fairly comfortable life or should I try to squeeze a little more out of them. The company is called Learning Port and they seem to be doing fairly well in pretty snazzy digs at the Horizon in Bangsar South. The complex seems a bit isolated and disconnected from public transportation, and I dread the idea of buying a car.

I've never been much of a hardball negotiator - all of my work has always been in schools where contracts are hammered out by union reps and school districts. I just want a fair wage where I can afford a reasonably decent life in KL.

Any thoughts?

Ok well I'll change it to that I'm new here and just looking for some basic information about KL, a completely new city to me. I'm not really sure what is so poser-ish about my questions or description of what I like to do or how I like to live. IA lot of times people are rather vague and they just ask, "What's a good place to live?" or "Where can I get a job?" I figured with more information about what I like to do might lead to more informative replies. I didn't realize it would lead to insults and being called a "poser trying to impress."  Trust me, I'm not trying to alienate anyone or puff myself up or try to market myself personally, e.g. looking for a date or something. I'm sorry if I came across in a manner that rubbed you the wrong way. Those posts of mine that you copied and pasted here from InterNations were from yesterday, so I have no idea what you mean about "5 months before you left."
Again, sorry if my tone or what I posted was that obnoxious to you that you felt the need to personally insult me. Your posts on the forum are very informative, but I see no need to question a person's motivations in such a condescending manner.

Lol gravitas ... you are way too cool!!

I thoroughly enjoyed this exchange, but on a serious note, im going out on a limb here and htrowing my towel with  Gravitas.. sorry matey..

I've been around all over, your postie does sound a lil ..err...off to me too... but assuming you're geniune in your request, then yes RM10k seems like a decent wage to me.

But if u think that may lead you to one of those lifestyles you prob see in USA gangsta rap music videos, then my friend your expectations will be mrecilessly crushed within a few weeks. Malaysia and its inhabitants including the expats community here are pretty sophisticated and savvy and they can smell certain traits miles away..!

Chances are, by the end of the month, you will be very dejected, lonely and withdrawn and would hate every moment of your stint here and will jump on the next plane home. My gut feel is that you might not be mentally prepared for such a venture yet.. perhaps a lil more research and soul searching is needed...

Good luck
Regs Jake