Skype ban

Is skype still banned in Egypt?

No.! no more :)been year or so

it's free , but i have no idea about that service from skype to mobile

Dear Sophie,
just make a contract with Mobinil for a usb connection and you will use skype.
As foreigner you have to pay in advance a caution of 400 L.E. and that's all.
I had a problem with Vodafone, they didn't say me about Skype, and, of course, they blame me, because "I didn't ask before about my intention to use Skype", they will also ask you to pay 1000 L.E. as foreigner.
Cheers
G.

Maximus81 wrote:

No.! no more :)been year or so

? Oh I thought it was recent .
Thanx

backtothesuture wrote:

it's free , but i have no idea about that service from skype to mobile

It's free ? yes on net but u still pay for cheap calls , just wandering wether is was still banned , but obviously not ,

Giuseppe wrote:

Dear Sophie,
just make a contract with Mobinil for a usb connection and you will use skype.
As foreigner you have to pay in advance a caution of 400 L.E. and that's all.
I had a problem with Vodafone, they didn't say me about Skype, and, of course, they blame me, because "I didn't ask before about my intention to use Skype", they will also ask you to pay 1000 L.E. as foreigner.
Cheers
G.

Yea heard alot of bad reports about Vodafone here in UK & abroad , yes I think Mobinil would be the one !
And the fact skype isn't banned anymore is good news !
Thanx for the info :)

Hi Sofie,

I have been using Skype in Cairo since I arrived here a year ago. The ban affects mobile use only (for the moment) so if you get a landline connection you will still enjoy the service.

Regards

actually the strongest is etisalat and the cheapest too

Aykalam wrote:

Hi Sofie,

I have been using Skype in Cairo since I arrived here a year ago. The ban affects mobile use only (for the moment) so if you get a landline connection you will still enjoy the service.

Regards

It will be mobile to mobile ...so is the ban on them ?

john25 wrote:

actually the strongest is etisalat and the cheapest too

Good to0 know John ...thanx for that ...:)

Sofie7 wrote:
Aykalam wrote:

Hi Sofie,

Regards

It will be mobile to mobile ...so is the ban on them ?

Yes, you won't be able to use mobile to mobile Skype. Check this article out http://bikyamasr.com/wordpress/?p=10025

Usage of Skype on mobiles is banned (illegal) & I think the operators mostly closed the service but not sure:)

As for Skype from your laptop its allowed (legal) :)

Hello ... Im using vodafone 3G USB and my Skype works like a charm

mobile to mobile skype from iphone to iphone in England is working like a charm.... dont know if there are any legal repercussions to this though...are there any laws against that in Egypt ?

never heard that skype was banned.

@Kryptonite..yes it is working with Iphone..i am wondering if it does with HTC as well or not.

Sofie7  If your from the USA or Canada you can ask your family to purchase a MagicJack with their local phone number (meaning purchase a local phone # for the Magicjack) but send the Magic Jack to you.  You put it on the back of your PC tower and hook a regular phone to the back of the tower also and you can call home with that phone for free and they can call you. It will show up as a local call. I know a few people in India that do this and it works like a charm.  It's $19.99 a year and only $10 for the phone number charged only once.  I'm getting one soon to send over seas.  Places to purchase is online but better to go to BestBuy. Oh as long as your PC is on your family can call you also for free since it's a local phone number. :)

I am not sure why it is banned

From what I see it was banned it's "not" anymore :) I know I use it so Skype is good to go.

yeah, thank god!i remember that. couple of years ago my husband was there for his thesis research and finding a way to reach him was a nightmare. By the time i was still living in London and by chance i found a cheap way to call him. In case u need to contact somebody in Egypt from the UK and u still have skype problems here it is :
U just dial : 087 1923 1923 and then the destination number in Egypt (landline) and as for mobiles 087 1883 1883. It costs like 8p/min which is was a blessing ;)

that was my life saviour!

Sofie7 wrote:

Skype was never banned in Egypt.

ash_smy wrote:
Sofie7 wrote:

lol are you serious? why would you bump a thread that was made 3 years ago smh

El.Daly wrote:
ash_smy wrote:
Sofie7 wrote:

lol are you serious? why would you bump a thread that was made 3 years ago smh

SO SORRY,,,,

Skype work very good on computers with any type if connection ..
for mobile phones it's banned on Android devices work only with Wi-Fi connection ,,, data connection is banned ..
but good news for IPhone owners it work with any type off connection ..
this information from Vodafone Customer service ..
cause i wonder when i tried to use it on Galaxy Note ...
now i use it via IPhone and it works like charm ;)