Traveling inside Brazil without passport

First off, I realize that it's never a good idea to be going around without your passport, but I don't have much of an option.

My passport is nearing its capacity. I have 3 pages left in it. I've asked the US embassy in Manaus how long it would take for them to add more pages. They said it would take "several weeks" because they have to send the passport to Brasilia.

My house is in Boa Vista, My fiance and I will get married in Boa Vista and apply for permanent residency in Boa Vista. Right after that we're taking our honeymoon to Aruba, after the honeymoon we're flying to Manaus. This is when I'm thinking about dropping my passport off at the US embassy.

So with all that said, I need to get back to Boa Vista from there. I'm not sure if we'll be flying or taking a bus. I'll be getting a CPF number/card...I have my doubts, but would this be enough to show the airline/bus company to get on the plane/bus? Do I NEED my passport to travel? Or is there another alternative?

I'll be getting copies of my passport, but I'm assuming this won't satisfy the officials.

Hi cupofjoe,

Nobody carries their original passport in Brazil, it's an open invitation for having it stolen. Get a "copia autenticada" (certified copy) made of the ID page and current Brazil Visa and current visa stamp too done at any Cartório. That will be all you need to go along with your other ID such as Driver's license, etc.

You only actually need your original passport for international flights, no matter what any airline personnel may tell you to the contrary. I ran into the same situation on a domestic flight and they wouldn't accept the certified copy of my passport and my other original ID. I told the boarding agent that I wasn't a dummy and that I knew my legal rights, that she couldn't prevent me from boarding a domestic flight without a passport, I also had with me an original Brazilian Marriage Certificate. She was adamant that she wouldn't let me board with my Brazilian wife. I then asked her for her full name and employee number. When she asked me why I wanted that information (which they MUST provide) I told her that I was going to have my wife go up to the Federal Police office in the airport and ask for an officer to come and take a formal complaint, that I would then use to sue the airline for "danos materiais" as well as "danos morais". Needless to say she backed down immediately and I boarded the aircraft without further delay.

Regarding buses here in Brazil you won't need your original passport either, they're more than happy to accept the certified copy even on inter-state bus routes. The ONLY original document you require on a bus is if you're travelling with a minor child under 16 years of age; you will need their original birth certificate and if it's not your child a notarized authorization of the child's parents.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

Awesome!

Thanks for your help