Fidelity Bans U.S. Client Abroad from Buying Mutual Funds

This is only a pebble in the water but may be the start of a trend making it difficult for U.S. expats to maintain their U.S. brokerage accounts.  Seems easy to get around, but why is this getting worse when the accounts are U.S. based and fully reported anyway?

online.wsj.com/articles/fidelity-bans-overseas-investors-from-buying-mutual-funds-1404246385

Didn't mean to post a link to a subscription only site.  Here's a better one:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-0 … funds.html

Could it be that income/investment reporting requirements in many countries have become so onerous and pejorative that it's becoming increasingly difficult to invest outside of your own country? Could it be that nearly all governments are so broke that these financial reporting requirements are a kind of de facto capital controls? All your wealth are mine.

You might like this international version of FATCA:

Facing the Invasive Onset of GATCA, Take Human Action
http://www.thedailybell.com/news-analys … an-Action/

"47 Countries Endorse OECD's GATCA / CRS ... 47 countries and major financial centers on May 6, 2014 committed to automatic exchange of information between their jurisdictions, announced the OECD. All 34 OECD member countries, as well as Argentina, Brazil, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, India, Indonesia, Latvia, Lithuania, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore and South Africa endorsed the Declaration on Automatic Exchange of Information in Tax Matters that was released at the May 6-7, 2014 Meeting of the OECD at a Ministerial Level."

gardener1 wrote:

Could it be that income/investment reporting requirements in many countries have become so onerous and pejorative that it's becoming increasingly difficult to invest outside of your own country? Could it be that nearly all governments are so broke that these financial reporting requirements are a kind of de facto capital controls? All your wealth are mine.

You might like this international version of FATCA:

Facing the Invasive Onset of GATCA, Take Human Action
http://www.thedailybell.com/news-analys … an-Action/

"47 Countries Endorse OECD's GATCA / CRS ... 47 countries and major financial centers on May 6, 2014 committed to automatic exchange of information between their jurisdictions, announced the OECD. All 34 OECD member countries, as well as Argentina, Brazil, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, India, Indonesia, Latvia, Lithuania, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore and South Africa endorsed the Declaration on Automatic Exchange of Information in Tax Matters that was released at the May 6-7, 2014 Meeting of the OECD at a Ministerial Level."

Wow.  Very insightful article. I'm embarrassed I didn't see "GATCA" coming but it seems so clear it is.

Glad I could help.  :D

For USA retirees it is not much of anything, for reinvesting is still allowed, and once retirement happens one would probably only be draining the mutual funds.  It sounds like as early as 2016 GATCA will result in the whole world looking at FATCA as USA citizens do now.  Besides everyone's investment history being known world wide, could it result in the USA-like taxation of the world wide income of others besides the USA citizens?  It seems politically quite easy to get the job done in UK and Europe, for the folks with world wide income are a minority, probably quite vocal, but still a minority.