Teaching ESL in Cairo

Hi! I would like to teach ESL and experience Middle Eastern culture. Egypt would be my first choice. I fell in love with those Lawrence Durrell books and have dreamed about the country since. When does the school year start here? I am getting my CELTA certification soon (I have a bachelor's in English) but don't think I can afford to fly out for one of the international job fairs that have been recommended as an "in" to work at an Egyptian school/company. Would it be insane to just hop on a plane and come? Be a 'local hire?' One of my strengths is being outgoing and personable, so I think I'd have as good a shot as anyone...

study will start on 15 sept.

Yes it start on 15 sept,
but where you live in cairo to suggest you the nearest international school for you and do you speak arabic or not?

Hello

I'm Principal of an American school in Cairo. I still need English Teachers for grades 1, 3 and 11. If u are interested contact me and we will set up an appointment for interview.

Agnes

It is better to be hired from overseas.  You should have your flight paid for and they usually also provide a housing allowance.  Be very careful when looking at property and make sure you use a trusted agent.  Like everyone in the entire world who is out to make money (including your employer)  they see a new face and the dollar signs flash up.  Do your research and be aware!

Hi,
May some help available once you arrived.

Good luck.
Dr. IMIG

ahbanya wrote:

I still need English Teachers for grades 1, 3 and 11.

Hi Agnes,
You should also post in Cairo's Classifieds -> Teaching jobs.
Hope this helps
Arlette

Agnes!
REAL INTERNATIONAL  Schools would make great use of you.
They have already hired for this year. I suggest sending in your CV by mid November!
It is best that you hired from where you are, because you could lose a lot of your benefits.

The reps from these school often travel to the US, Canada and UK for job fairs.

REALLY Good International Schools in Cairo are;

- Cairo American College. (CAC)
- American International School (AIS)
- Modern ENGLISH School (MES)
*NOT to be confused with Modern Education
-British Internationa School of Cairo (BISC)
- Maadi British School
- New Cairo British Intenational School (NCBIS)
- Hayah International Academy
-Al Alsson

Alexandria
- Schutz American School
- British School of Alexandri.

The above are the TOP ranking No BS schools in Cairo and Alex.
If anyone tells you otherwise, they are taking you for a ride girl.

* Google search the schools and check their OFFICIAL web pages. If there isn't a large Staff of Expats or Expat kids then it isn't considered a REAL international school.

If they don't offer; transportation, houseing, medical care or insurance, foreign currency and repatriation ticket, they aren't the real deal.

I hope this helps you.

Hi,
Again, practical help may presented upon arrival.
Keep in touch.
Our assistance is free.
Good luck.
Dr. IMIG

Irish is right, most schools have already hired the teachers for next year. And please please PLEASE do your research before you accept ANY offer, there are just too many places in Cairo and Egypt that will promise the world and deliver nothing.

If you are not looking for a fulltime teaching position, and you can afford to support yourself out here for a while, flying out here isn't that terrible an idea, once you're in Egypt it can be quite easy to find a job as a native english speaker. Only problem in this however, is that it means you will most likely be paid on an Egyptian scale, and this can be quite low. Good luck in your search!

Do you want to teach EFL or do you intend to work as a school teacher (big difference)

Tis highly unlikely that a 'real' international school will hire you without a formal teaching qualification to teach in schools back home.  You would need a PGCE or Bed, plus you should have completed your NQT.  A CELTA or TEFL is not usually enough.  If you have no idea what these acronyms mean, then you need to find out.

There are plenty of English language schools all over Cairo, teaching all age groups.  My friend is exploring the idea and during one day, whilst driving around a small area we found many language schools.  You could look on esl cafe, which is a TEFL website.   

There is work to be had...

FeeAcer wrote:
ahbanya wrote:

I still need English Teachers for grades 1, 3 and 11.

Hi Agnes,
You should also post in Cairo's Classifieds -> Teaching jobs.
Hope this helps
Arlette

She didn t post! She replied to the post!

i'm looking for english course