Divorce Help In Egypt

Divorce Help In Egypt

I am an American Woman who married a Egyptian man in Cairo and am now wanting a divorce.

I have discovered he was married to another woman with two children and have asked for a divorce. MY marriage is not legal in the United States because he is married to another woman prior to marrying me.

He sometimes agrees to the divorce and sometimes does not. Twice we have gone to the Ministry of Justice and started the divorce paperwork but because if lack of witnesses and time constraints of Ramadan the office has closed early and we missed the opportunity. Now he is refusing to go back to the Ministry of Justice.

I want to go finish this divorce and go home back to the states. I cannot try and get this divorce from back in the states due to I have no idea how to contact him here.

I do not know his home address nor his work address. What can I do?

Please any advice would be very appreciated.

Hello amynycole,

Your question really should be posted directly to the Egypt Forum in order for you to get relevant information back. This forum is a "generic" and very international forum with people from all over the globe. If you post to the Egypt Forum you'll be dealing with people who for the most part live in Egypt and have a greater understanding of your needs.

If you look at the lower portion of the Expat Forum main page you'll see a list of all of the countries divided by geographical areas, clicking on Egypt will redirect you to the Egypt Forum.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

Since the marriage isn't legal in the US and you want to go back there why do you bother about getting a divorce in Egypt?
I'd pack my stuff and get on a plane back home...

Its still registered in the US embassy here and if I need to do any legal action back in the states he is not locatable over here. All addresses on his passport and our marriage license are fake addresses.

O.K... In that case you may need to get a local lawyer. I would contact the US embassy, explain the problem and ask them to refer you to a trustworthy lawyer.

Why would you need to find him to get a divorce? If you apply for a divorce in the United States of America (if you plan on going back there anyway) you can proceed with an "Ex parte" divorce, especially if his addresses and documents were false. Your US divorce would probably be much simpler to register with the Egyptian government and thus have legal effect there too. Most countries have legal mechanisms to recognize foreign Court Orders such as divorce, just as they do with foreign marriages. Simple!

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

By golly, you get around, James! Add Egypt to your EXPERT list!

Hi   I am British and the same happened to me. Is it a legal marriage??  Was it done in a Mosque??  Do you have papers??   If you did it in a lawyers office  then it is not legal. They call it Orfi Marriage.  It is is not legal but they do it for religious reasons so they can have sex with you.   I have friends in Cairo who are lawyers.

My email is [email protected]   

Jenna