How safe is johannesberg

hi,

i am an indian software engineer. I am being offered a 12 months stay in johannesberg and then back in bangalore by a software company. However, I have read that there are too many crimes in johannesberg and it is not a safe city to stay. Is it true. can anybody living in johannesberg tell me about life there. One more thing, the company is providing the accomadation. I am still not sure which area it is going to be. it would be good if could also list few safe areas that i can demand the accomadation.

I will be coming there with my family.

Hello friend I will tell you one thing about South africa
   first South africa is the safe place to live, if you doing underground business involving bad thing,yes you can get hear,
Johannesburg million of foreign live, doing they business,one thing you have to come see for one week, than to listening a story, hope my word give a bit of idea of you question, all the for you future, work

Hi There,
Tell me which place isnt safe.  I love Johannesburg, its a very beautiful city and I promise you, you wouldnt regret living there.  I would recommend you live in places like Sunninghill, Sandton, Kyalami, Wendywood, Gallormanor, Khayalitsha, Beuccleuch.  When you are on holiday visit Durban and Capetown, no regrets if you move.  By the way, you will be at home, large indian community.

Good luck

Johannesburg is very unsafe. Managed by Nigerian drug lords. Keep your family very close to you at all times. Take your children to and from functions. I didnt want to say what I just said, but the other two posts were not so true to fact.

I am a white British male married to a black South African lady. I have worked on business back and forth in South Africa for 9 years and in Feb 2010 we moved from the UK with our 10 month old son to live in South Africa.

You can find crime everywhere in the world but as URSI states above there are very nice areas. I personally moved to a gated community in the Kyalami / Midrand area and it is fantastic.

Happy to act as tour guide when you are over here.

Regards

Simon

Sparrow wrote:

Johannesburg is very unsafe. Managed by Nigerian drug lords. Keep your family very close to you at all times. Take your children to and from functions. I didnt want to say what I just said, but the other two posts were not so true to fact.

hahaha awesome.

i must be hanging out in the wrong places then.

hello there,
my husband was offered a 2-3year stint out here in Johannesburg. And in the same perception as yours that this city is too violent, with crime etc and making this not possible. We are a white british family, with our 2 daughters(age 7 and 3). Initially we decided to make out decision ourselves & to ignore the bad press prior the world cup horror stories. So we came over to see Joburg for ourselves without bringing the children. We stayed in a nice hotel in the northern part of Joburg & we were shown around with a relocation consultant. We were taken out to see the nicer areas & past some bad. we were told where Not to go & told us about how to keep yourselves as safe as possible (such as car doors locked, windows up at all times, dont drive alone when its dark, be aware at the traffic lights etc) and not to be seen as a target. I thought we would see the area too scarey & not a place I would take my children, but surprisingly enough we didnt find anything bad or scarey to put me off or to make us to turn opportunity/adventure down.
We went out the second time (without the kids) to find a rental property & chose a house in a gated community (plenty of expats). I read a rough guide book of this city & states northern parts of Joburg are much safer so bear this in mind.
We have arrived as a whole family a week ago now & a bit anxious when we're out & about, but confidence is gained over time. We travelled with our 7 suitcases & everything else still in air freight and rest via ship. To be honest its been very hard setting up home with the children and so much to do, but so far, despite the teething problems (such as, getting a phone line in the house, internet etc...) everythings fine.
Yesterday, the weather at midday was sunny and dry at 25 degrees, and you cant grumble with these winter temperatures! Its a bit chilly in the early mornings & evenings, but the bright blue cloudless skies are a major improvement when I left the dreary grey british summer weather behind.
We have put our children in private schools/nursery and within the gated area, so I dont feel worried at all when I wave them off into their classrooms.
I have found the Joburg people being very friendly, very helpful and always smiling. South African people seem to love children wherever we go and seem places very children friendly. For example we have been out for a few meals out, and the children have been felt very welcome, meals are ordered first & served to them before the adults. When we were staying in the hotel, all the staff always made a fuss of them & wave and try to make the kids to laugh!
Anyway, I cant tell you that Johannesburg is a safe city, crime is everywhere in the world, but as long as you are aware of your surroundings & to be extra wary then you should be ok. I spoke to a white South African lady who has been living in Joburg all her life. She lives in a clustered home & on her own. She told me she has not had any problems at all, she hears gun fire in the distance, but nothing impacting on her. She says she hears lots of awful things on the news & in the newspaper, but most crimes are gang/drug violence & in the areas you wouldnt go. She says she was mugged once & this is when she was on holiday in Rome!
All I can advise you is to come out here and to see the area yourselves & to ignore all the negative things you'll hear, and to make your own decision. Just to keep yourself safe and keep an open mind.
Let me know how you get on & if you've accepted the job out here or not. Feel free if you need to contact me in this mode & if theres anything else you need to know basis. I feel this is a huge privillege living in this beautiful country & there's so much to do & see here. This is a one in a life time opportunity & we're intending to make the most of this!
Good Luck!

i am an indian and i am planning to move to south africa Joberg probably in 2 months will any indian answer my query- how safe it is to live & work in south africa? what about the crime status? are indians safe there & doing well?
please answer ASAP...u can also mail me on [email protected] or i am available on face book. by name sachiinwaichall
thanks