Working in Paris without speaking French

Hi Sue, I don't agree that our comments are harsh. They are the results of our experiences living in France. If the poster has other financial support, then fine, go for it. However, if she is alone in supporting herself, we are simply warning her that the reality is not easy so that hopefully she can come prepared. Life in any big city, including Paris, can be harsh if you have no or very little income.

Sue Chamberlain wrote:

Very harsh comments, I live in Australia, we have thousands of immigrants that cannot speak Australian (ha! ha! English) and certainly not our customs, but we are encouraged to employ and try to accommodate them, no matter what their reasons are: if you have a visa to live and work in France, go for it, there is always something. I am moving to France in December hopefully where I will live I will be received with happiness.having experienced France and have family who live there you will be ok. Sue

Hash not, but facts and advise given. You have to remember no 2 countries are the same after all France is not Austrailia.

Hello, I saw your comment and i also just moved to paris for better opportunities and i would like to know any suggestion or ideas on how you got these jobs in these places, like recommendations of places to search for them online.

SimCityAT wrote:
Sue Chamberlain wrote:

Very harsh comments, I live in Australia, we have thousands of immigrants that cannot speak Australian (ha! ha! English) and certainly not our customs, but we are encouraged to employ and try to accommodate them, no matter what their reasons are: if you have a visa to live and work in France, go for it, there is always something. I am moving to France in December hopefully where I will live I will be received with happiness.having experienced France and have family who live there you will be ok. Sue

Hash not, but facts and advise given. You have to remember no 2 countries are the same after all France is not Austrailia.

Unfortunately, the fact is that France is not as welcoming to immigrants as Australia! You have family in France so that will definitely help open some doors for you.... who you know is very important in France to get a job. Speaking French will be key also. Best wishes to you :-)

Medical care is better here. That's it.

EXPATUSA wrote:

Medical care is better here. That's it.

You got that right! Compared to the US, just about anywhere in the modern world is better but France was voted no 1 by WHO.

The French can't speak any other language.

WHO voted them # 1 in 2000. Since then, they are now #18.
I have noticed that many medications are no longer covered by CPAM, therefore, not much benefit from my Swiss Life mutuelle.

It's a global world, not a French one.

EXPATUSA wrote:

WHO voted them # 1 in 2000. Since then, they are now #18.
I have noticed that many medications are no longer covered by CPAM, therefore, not much benefit from my Swiss Life mutuelle.

I'll take no 18 anyday over the US where I used to pay USD750 per month  for very limited coverage! Here in France, when I had a complete anesthesia (this year) and didn't have anyone to drive me back, a taxi was covered to drive me to the hospital and drive me back home.

Yes, I would take France over the states as medical expenses are less in France.
That's where I would draw the line. After that, France is just too dull and not worth the price.

The USA doesn't have an ISF or wealth tax which I have been forced to pay to the French government.
This is especially troubling for US citizens.
We save for our own retirement as pensions don't exist for us.
So when France takes our savings, they are taking our retirement savings.
If our savings were in the form of a pension, they could not.

I also find that shopping in France is very limited.
France basically is stacked with monopolies that charge you even for parking.
All given customers little choice and high prices.

Many things I need I order from the states.
It's cheaper in USD's, all with customer service which is unknown in France, and if you don't like something, you can get your money back. All unheard of in France. That's because the government doesn't want any refunds when it comes to collecting the VAT taxes. Of course, the French know nothing about economics. It's a taboo to learn!

I will never order from Amazon.fr again.
They do not deliver. You are expected to go to a designated place and pick up there!
Love USA. They will deliver the same day you order. Great convenience which the French will never have.

EXPATUSA wrote:

Really? I must check with friends and family in France. I could swear my cousin who is a French citizen could speak 4 languages.

How many do you speak EXPATUSA?

EXPATUSA wrote:

Yes, I would take France over the states as medical expenses are less in France.
That's where I would draw the line. After that, France is just too dull and not worth the price.

The USA doesn't have an ISF or wealth tax which I have been forced to pay to the French government.
This is especially troubling for US citizens.
We save for our own retirement as pensions don't exist for us.
So when France takes our savings, they are taking our retirement savings.
If our savings were in the form of a pension, they could not.

I also find that shopping in France is very limited.
France basically is stacked with monopolies that charge you even for parking.
All given customers little choice and high prices.

Many things I need I order from the states.
It's cheaper in USD's, all with customer service which is unknown in France, and if you don't like something, you can get your money back. All unheard of in France. That's because the government doesn't want any refunds when it comes to collecting the VAT taxes. Of course, the French know nothing about economics. It's a taboo to learn!

I will never order from Amazon.fr again.
They do not deliver. You are expected to go to a designated place and pick up there!
Love USA. They will deliver the same day you order. Great convenience which the French will never have.

All you seem to do is complain, so why are you in France? You don't seem to be happy, so why not move back to the USA?

EXPATUSA, France is a better place for another reason than its terrific health care system, ****

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please avoid comments on politics
EXPATUSA wrote:

I beg to disagree EXPATUSA, the French speak foreign languages more than Americans do, by far. We can continue this conversation in French si vous parlez français..... or in Spanish si habla Espanol or in Portuguese se você fala porguês, take your pick.

Tevisbuckles wrote:
EXPATUSA wrote:

I beg to disagree EXPATUSA, the French speak foreign languages more than Americans do, by far. We can continue this conversation in French si vous parlez français..... or in Spanish si habla Espanol or in Portuguese se você fala porguês, take your pick.

Also, I must say, not just the French but other European countries are far better in teaching a 2nd tongue than what America does. English is compulsory to be taught by law. (in Germany, Hungary, Austria, France etc....)

Hello all,

Let's please stick to the topic posted, which is "Working in Paris without speaking French".  The topic is not about France being better/worse than USA or any other nation. 

Please remember we are here to share useful advice, preferably in a positive and honest tone.  We're not here to argue!

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Hi,
How are you did you manage to find a job?
Why tell France is not for English speakers only? What about the Native English speakers who are transfered from their company to Parisfor exemple, I heard they are many ! Moreover their skills are strong and they could have a good reputation for hard work knowing that many french are taking the piss with all their cigarettes breaks...