Job and Flat Hunting - any help most welcome

Yasas everyone, and thanks for having me!

Haha, I've never done anything like this before...when I started travelling there was no internet to help you.

Anyway, I'm an English girl (well 37, though I don't feel it and noone believes me, which is nice, I guess), who felt an affinity with Greece and it's warm culture when I first visited Kefalonia 20 years ago! Since then I spent nearly 2 years in Crete 14 years ago, which nearly put me off actually; I had some bad experiences there and didn't find the people as nice. However, I was brought back to the idea of Greece when visiting the Ionian islands again a couple of years ago, and thought it was a good start to an adventure abroad as I also speak enough Greek to get me by in most situations.

So, I found work (I'm an English teacher) in a little town called Livadeia (2 hours north of Athens) and stayed there for the past year and a half, but it doesn't feel quite enough. I wanted somewhere closer to the sea and a little bigger for more opportunities (I'm also trained in dog behaviour and sing), and to meet more different kinds of people from other cultures, and maybe even a wider selection of eligible bachelors closer to my age as these are in shortage in Livadeia!  :-)

Anyway, that's a lot more detail than I intended to write, but hey, it said introduce yourself.

So, anyone who has managed to stay awake to read all of this and would like to say hi, please do! I'm currently job and flat hunting so any info you may have would be really appreciated. Failing that, any new people to meet when I get there is probably even more important to me!...Maybe my priorities are wrong but I'm kinda weird!

Well, thanks for reading and I hope to meet some of you in person Aug/Sept time!  Kalo kalokeri!

Filakia,
Chloe

it's nice to read your post Chloe, welcome to Expat.com (i am new as well)  :P
i would like to meet some new friends like you here in Athens, but unfortunately we will be living far apart (if you plan to move to Tesaloniki) i'm living in Kifisia, Athens north.

Anyway, good luck for your move, and welcome back to Greece !  ;)

Chloe - you seem to have disabled private messages so I cannot send my reply to you. Can you post to me again with your FB or e-mail address if you want me to get in touch - Harehound

Hello All  :cheers:

@ Chloe :

Just to inform you that a new thread has been created with your post on the Greece Forum so as to help you get better interaction.

Regards

Kenjee

Hey Kenjee,

I'm not sure exactly what that means but it sounds nice, thanks!!  :-)

Hey Vctoria,

Thanks...I looked at it afterwards and realised I'd written loads; I don't want to be boring!  :-/

That's a shame, come to Thess, I hear the people are much nicer!  ;-)

Well, good luck with everything!

Hi Chloe  am Chris I dint understand are you now in LIVADIA or Thessaloniki ?

Haha, sorry. I'm now in UK, then return to Livadeia in Aug to pick up my things and go to Thess.

...Complicated eh!  :-)

xe.gr/property/enoikiaseise,

My name is Artemis, I'm Greek-American and currently live in beautiful Thessaloniki.  I immediately thought of a website we used to help us find an apartment, it is  xe.gr, the site is in Greek, but since you lived in Greece before, I assume you know some Greek  :)  The link that takes you directly to Thessaloniki is:  xe.gr/property/enoikiaseis|katoikies.html   Actually xe.gr is also a site you can use for job hunting, though I've not had personal use, so not sure where else to direct you for that ... I should probably check that out for myself.

Not sure what area of Thessaloniki you will be looking to move, if you prefer the Kentro or more on the outskirts. Either way, will be glad to help you skim through the many posts to find the furnished flat you're looking for.  :)

By the way, when were  you planning to move to Thessaloniki? 

Best regards,
Artemis

Oops, one more thing... in Thessaloniki, there are two women's groups you may be interested in-both having large number of expats and if you can contact anyone there-they may also be of help either in  your move or job hunt.

One is IWOG (International Women of Greece, their site is:  http://www.iwog.gr/
and TOWER (Thessaloniki Organization for Women's Employment and Resources) http://www.tower4women.gr/ 
but they also have an active Facebook page you can check out. :) 

If your coming  to Thessaloniki.. well I`m here.. he he..

& if Youre looking for friends.. join I.W.O.G. , International , Womens , Organisation of Greece...
They meet up every Wednesday morning from 10 am until 12... at Ingle hall , Anatolia  Collage ..
on the Road up to Panorama... John Kennedy Rd..

www.IWOG .gr

On the 2nd  Wednesday  of every month..  (Ingle Hall)    10am - 12 )

Hi, Chloe,
I imagine you've settled in by now and I hope you' ve managed to sort out work - you're multi-talented by the sound of things so  it shouldn't be too difficult!
I've been living here for longer than I care to remember but seem to have managed to have totally lost touch with any English speakers.  So, if you fancy a chat, just drop me a line - I'd love to hear from you.
Liz 😊

Hey Liz,

What a lovely message, thanks! Not sure about being multi-talented though..more like a jack of all trades, master of none.  :-)

And yay, I'd really love to meet up. Give me a ring sometime:  697 837 8710.

I've actually had some very bad luck with my landlords (spent half the week with the police) and I'm flat-hunting for the end of Nov, so if you have any ideas I'd love to hear them.

I hope to hear from you soon!
Chloe