Please advice - Cost of living

Hi Everyone,

I'm married person, no kids. I got an offer recently, work location is Riyadh. Salary of SAR 18000 has been offered including accommodation and travel. Can you please let me know if this is enough for family setup and living. Also can you please let me know the cost of living - rent, transportation, etc. Also kindly advice checkpoints that I should with the employer.

Kindly provide your inputs.

Regards,
Chandra.

If you got good enough experience you can ask for more. with this you can easily save 12,000 SAR a month.  Cost of living always depends on how you wanna live. For 6 K you can have good house and spend money for food and transportation. Good Luck.

Hello Chandra,

SR 18,000 is a decent amount of package, I am sure before putting your question on the thread, you have gone through other discussions already on this forum.

Now most of the answers are subjective, ie would vary from a person to another but generally you should be able to save anything between 1/2 to 2/3 rd of your salary, and like most of us will be struggling between "living well or saving well".

I think your main concern should be whether this salary is fair and appropriate in comparison to other expats in similar employment in KSA, based on your professional qualifications and experience.

I could not understand the "Checkpoints" part, therefore kindly elaborate.

18,000SAR is overwhelming...this is more than enough to cover your monthly expenses here in the kingdom so to speak...
anywhere in the world, it always boils down on how you spend the money wisely...whether you have a big salary or just enough, it's how you utilize it, plus of course how you make a happy lifestyle out of what you are getting...

Thank you your quick reply Suribhai, Riaz and Junsm... :)

Riaz, the checkpoints I was looking are like - what should be the things I've to check with employer. I read in few forums that if salary includes travel and accommodation. Apart from this, are there any other things I should check with the employer.

Regards,
Chandra.

Chandra,

Okay, the checkpoints : Almost all employers arrange some kind of accommodation, a villa at a compound, an apartment in a building,  or three basic salaries in lieu of housing.

Travel: economy class return fare to you and your family is normal.

Health: You do not need to take a separate insurance policy since the government hospitals are of international standard.

Commission : this is the trickiest part, where many employers bind a part of your earning with "performance" this is applicable in sales or marketing jobs and I hope your job is none of these.

Kids education: you must inquire with your employer  on this for  their advice. You need to prepare your kids for the saudi system.

Thanks Riaz. Thank you so much for quick and clearing my doubts. I'll come back if I got any more doubts.
Thank you once again.

alright here it is
usually rent costs 30.000 a year and up,ofc it depends on the location and stuff,but since the company gonna provide you with an accommodation i think its gonna be nice so no need to worry about that
also have them supply you with your own car
and a yearly ticket for you in case you wanna visit your family on xmas and stuff
also you should check regarding how the bonus system works its different from company to another

cost of living i would say something like 900RS monthly for one person if you are not gonna be going out a lot and stuff,that's just food

transportation is kind of expensive but you have a big salary you can manage but i advice to buy a car with monthly payment system from Kia ,its it is the easiest way that i found and it doeskin incloud any bank which is safer,(i hate banks)
other then that i would say the taxi would cost you 30SR - 40SR max but you really dont want that,its hot in here,and i dont think you wanna wait for a taxi.
any other questions pm me ,
best regards
may i ask what is your field of work ?