Shunned In Chengdu

Recently, my wife and I went to Chengdu to witness her daughter's graduation from Sichuan University.  this is my first trip there and I, as a foreigner, was treated quite poorly.  Although we had reservations at a hotel, I was informed that particular hotel did not accept foreigners  to say I was pissed and surprised, was an understatement.  this continued for several hotels until we finally found one but at an exorbitant nightly cost of 950 per night.  Now, I have coached professional basketball all over Asia, and this was the first time I have experienced this type of discrimination.  The following day, my wife and I tried to enter the University and again, I was delayed and scrutinized because I had left my passport back in my room.  I eventually retrieved it and following several phone calls was allowed to enter.  My question is, "has anyone noticed the changing attitude towards foreigners since the implementation of the new government, or is it a result of the recent terrorist attacks in China lately?  . Laurence J. MacDonald

Sorry about your bad experience in Chengdu.

But, as a local in Chengdu I really don't know why people could treat foreigners like that! Maybe your guess is right, the terrorist influence the attitude of Government. It's a sensitive period.

There are many foreigners in Chengdu, I mean,

Your wife is Chinese?

Hope you would have a better experience in the rest time :)