BBQ & bottled gas

Hi All,

I've ordered a BBQ from UK and rather foolishly didn't think about gas for it. The BBQ instructions say use propane only, from what I can tell from Enemalta there are gas bottles here with red necks that contain Propane where as regular ones contain LPG (for use with hob etc). Have I understood this correctly?

Do the gas trucks normally carry both types or do I need to go somewhere special to get the red necked ones?

I'm moving tonight so will find out from the neighbour when the gas man comes.

--
As I was typing guys have come back from lunch and said yes red necked for propane, they advised likely need to ask the gas man and he'll bring it next delivery as they don't tend to carry them. Thought I'd still post in case useful for others! I'll then head down to Birzebbuga if he's not due soon. http://liquigasmalta.com/distribution/

Cheers
Tim

Your BBQ will burn any of the gas sold in bottles in Malta.

"Propane and butane are similar gases used for heating and other fuel applications. Although proponents of each gas hold theirs to be the superior, all have benefits and disadvantages. Butane burns more cleanly and provides more energy, but propane is a better choice for situations in which temperatures may drop below freezing. Ultimately, the gases are quite similar, and the choice between the two largely depends on the availability and intended use of the product."

LPG is a mix of the two.

Terry

As Terry says, no practicable difference. But, you may well need to buy a different regulator. Buy off a gas truck or hardware store about 25. Just make sure you fit it securely to the hose. (Obviously)

Thanks guys.

Woke up early in new flat and went to supermarket at 630 (early for me!) on the way back I saw the gas man driving out my street so flagged him down and got the LPG bottle. He said he can bring propane, just to let him know the week before, all so simple :)

What I didn't ask for is jubilee clips (I think that's what the hose clamp is called). The one on my existing hose / regulator is really rusted. Does the gas man sell these or do I need a hardware store?

Just on the LPG Vs Propane, any idea why the instructions would say propane only, is that one of those cover your arse things like "do not stick your tongue into an electrical socket" in case I was going to try to connect.... well I don't really know what other sorts of gas I would try to connect!

There is no practical difference so it doesn't matter what gas you use between propane and butane.
I have used both on my BBQ and noticed no difference at all.

Jubilee clips from  any hardware store but I would urge you to buy  a good quality regulator, some of the cheaper ones do not fit correctly and leak gas!

Terry

does anyone know about the gas bottle deliveries in Gzira? i.e what day and time and how much a bottle is? we need for a bbq.

Thanks in advance

This is a link to the fixed delivery points....

http://www.google.com.mt/url?sa=t&r … 4660,d.bGQ

Last one I brought cost 18€ plus deposit if you don't have one to exchange.
Make sure the guy gives you a signed and dated receipt for the deposit.

Terry

Thanks Terry, Gzira not on there though! Will have to ask around locally

You can get them delivered you need to set up an account with liquigas Malta online and they deliver direct to your door

Just come across that! Will do. Thanks

Chelleclover wrote:

Thanks Terry, Gzira not on there though! Will have to ask around locally

the truck comes on monday morning and goes around gzira, it usually hits my street at 6.40
you can't miss it - it horn's alot :D

if you run out of gas, on seafront there is a shop that sells gas, just bring your empty cylinder (or pay extra 10e) and buy full cylinder - but it is 5e more expensive then when buying from truck :)

It is best to get any new gas bottles from Liquigas or a registered truck, not the shops. You have to have an official Liquigas receipt to get the deposit back, should you need to.

I also bought a UK grill which mentions to use 37mbar regulator and it can be used with propane, butane or LPG. In Malta they only sell 29mbar to be used with LPG mixture gas cylinder. do i need to order a 37mbar regulator from UK to be used with LPG mixture gas cylinders provided here in Malta or can I stick with the 29mbar?

Thank you for the help.

I think you better check that with the manufacturer!