Is 23 million rupiah alot in Jakarta?

Hi... Can anyone advise me if I am able to survive in Jakarta on a 23 mil rupiah salary per month. Is this alot? What sort of lifestlye cab i be expecting? Thanks.

Yes it is a lot even if you have rent and travel expenses to pay out of that. Depending on where you live you will be able to live well and save, but of course that will be dependent on your lifestyle.

Thanks lukereg. Good to know.

Shd be a simple lifestyle for me.
Dun drink alchohol.
Need a gym membership.
Juz need a studio apartment in pondok indah. - i wonder how much tat wld be.
Meals at normal restaurants or coffeeshops other that street food if possible.
Internet.

Sustainable on 23 million?

Yes all very sustainable but you will need to pay for rent up front for a year. This is the normal procedure however I am sure you can rent monthly but that might be more expensive, say between 6 and 8 million a month. Gym around 500k a month. So there is still room to eat and live.

Awesome!!!

Thanks a tonne lukereg. Sure is helpful.

You may have to pay tax also, a health insurance will be needed also but if all is covered by your employer....then might be ok.

Pondok Indah is not a cheap place to live if you want to rent something there but as Luke said, it all depends on your life style.

Depends, :) if normal life more than enough. I got from my small survey  :           
-apartement @hamptons = $1000
-meal = $25 /daily
-taxi = $300/monthly

~all in = $2150

*note= u can saving more if u have a simple life, working by walking distance, can eat at Normal restaurant. And membership gym, no need. U get free once u rent an apartement. Tax, my husband company paid directly to gov of indo

You can rent a house in a local, security patrolled estate for as little as RP25 million/year.
That'll be a 2 bedroom, in a clean and tidy estate.
You can buy a small car on credit for Rp6 million/month; paid off in a year.
$25/day on food is only if you eat in western restaurants.
I usually spend closer to $5 (If I really go wild) I'm not starving or anorexic.

Its more that enough in Jakarta.

Rp23m is just under US $2K. If your paying rent from that you will really struggle. I live a good life on Rp30m a month, rent is another Rp12m. Admittedly I eat and drink out a lot and could probably get buy on Rp23m if I ate at home most of the time.

You haven't given any information about your marital status and dependents. All your answers so far seem to assume that you're single and out of debt. If so, then 23jt is probably ok. But of course, it depends on your lifestyle and expectations too.
In my case, I earn a little more than that. But I have a wife, kid and support three sisters-in-law (not uncommon in Indonesia) and I'm flat broke every month!
BTW, you can get cheaper accommodation than was mentioned above. For around 2.5 to 3.5jt / month, you can get a good kost (room with mandi) in the P.I. / Blok M area. But of course, that won't include the gym.
Eating street food, you can survive on Rp60,000 / day. Going to moderate restaurants, Rp150,000 / day (ie, for one person). Taxi from P.I. to Bk M is about Rp50,000.
Another tip: Credit cards are usury here. You'll pay 38% pa plus charges. If you must have one, pay it out every month - absolutely no exception to that!

Further comment:
"Happyhour" said that P.I. is not cheap. That's correct. A cheaper alternative may be the Fatmawati area. It is adjacent to both P.I. and Blok M.
As for "Granty 50", it seems to me that he's living the good ex-pat life here in Jakarta. Unless you're used to a rather privileged life, you'll be able to live comfortably on much less than he is suggesting.
Yet another thing: If you're going to work as an English teacher, brush up on your sloppy spelling.  eg, "She would" does not contract to "Shd".