Moving to Bali

Hi everyone!  Hope everyone is doing great today?! I am looking for any tips, ideas, information etc on relocation to Bali.  I am currently in UK. Have recently confirmed school places for our two kids at Green school for January. I am looking for information on nice areas to live in with accessibility to Green school. (Easier the better to begin with!)  Indeed any posts would be appreciated as keen to as informed as possible.

Many Thanks !

Sanur and Ubud are both popular areas for expats, especially expats with kids, and commuting to the Green School from either of those two areas is very manageable. 

The Green School is on Facebook, and you might consider hooking up there with other parents for their ideas, as well as joining a car pool depending on where you decide to settle down. 

Cheers!

Hi Ubudian. Thank you for your reply.  I have been doing abit research last few days and I think I'm leaning towards Ubud.  I have also looked into the Facebook page for greens and am considering asking for help from there.  My husband Sandy works in Jarkata and we will be joining him there in November before our new life in Bali. I think initially it will be difficult and challenging but I am hoping we can settle and the children take to Green school. I am not looking to work, I am hoping to have a peaceful life with my family, it is important for me to be with my kids. I hear the roads are very busy and I am sure not what I am use to in the UK. I think initially we may require help on the school runs, do you think a driver is a good idea and do you have any ideas on cost?

Many Thanks

Personally I would suggest your kids car pool with other Green School kids in your area.  The presumption is that the driver has already been vetted by the other parents.

In your shoes, not familiar with Bali, and not knowing anyone really well here, I would not consider entrusting my kids to someone I didnt have a great deal of knowledge about, or trust in.  If you decide on Ubud there are quite a number of expats here who send their kids to the Green School. 

In over 15 years of 24/7 living on Bali I have never once driven here myself.  The reason is simple, if you are bule (white) and in an accident, then you are automatically at fault.  The logic is simple, the accident would have never happened if you werent driving.  You surely have heard of Ben Franklin's old adage, "penny wise, pound foolish." 

For years I had a full time driver at my beckon call, and I paid him 1 million a month (but driving my Kijang which is a moderate level Toyota SUV).  That was a while back and I expect a similar situation (driving your vehicle) would run more like 2 million a month.  These days I just call anyone of many drivers I know whenever I need them. 

The freedoms in this kind of situation are considerable, most especially no worries about finding parking...just drop me off and Ill call when Im ready for you to pick me up.  Thank you hand phones!  And of course the best part is not having to concentrate on where Im going or how best to get there, but rather just enjoying the ride and the views.

I agree I think we would be much better off with an experienced driver and enjoying the view!  I would also not like to take any chances with getting lost (bound to happen) and the stress of it all and making sure the kids were comfortable in their new surroundings.  We have previously lived in the Middle East and driving there was enough to give me a few grey hairs! I'm not particularly religious at all but I would pray some days, the driving could be abit unpredictable.   I suppose the answer would be to find a driver we could trust.  I would never allow my kids to be without me, I am protective of them as are all mums,  carpooling sounds like good advice and always I am open to knowledgable points of view.   To be honest part of me can't quite believe I am willing to uproot our children from our home here and jet around the world to start this new life, it seems part terrifying and exhilarating in equal measures. Greens school was the first school I came across and we were so intrigued that Sandy visited and what was more he was impressed.  My lovely husband is not an easy man to impress at times, he is a straight spoken Scot afterall. (We did look into other schools)  I would think that the rents in Ubud are variable and on the up as it is everywhere.  We are thinking in the short term apartments or the like until we are aware of our surroundings and more familiar with the territory so to speak.  I have to admit I did read of some disturbing news regarding a British teacher in the UK news a few weeks back. Whilst I am aware crime happens of course I would be keen to live a life without ignorance (as much as possible) in our new home.   If you have any advice or thoughts I would appreciate that.  I am guessing you have had a lot of experiences living in Bali for 15 years. 

Kind Regards

Crime is definitely something to consider on Bali, although incidences of violent crime is rather rare here. 

As for me personally, I hardly ever consider it.  In fact, in over 15 years Ive only seen or heard of a police car in our village once, and that was when our neighbor committed suicide by hanging himself.

Still, one should be aware of personal safety and security.  A great deal of that can be accomplished by being a part of the village in which you live as opposed to segregating yourself.

hello louise,

i am also considering the green school for my daughter this fall and wondering about the commute.  i am looking at living in ubud - but wondering about the details of the commute back and forth.  did you decide on where to live?  find any more information about car pools, cost of drivers, etc?

many thanks!!!!

Hi lovebug108,

Thanks for the mail. Well our situation is we move to Jarkata November and then onto Bali end of December. My kids start Greens January. We know there is abit time before then and with that in mind I'm trying to get as much information together as possible. I would love to carpool if this was an option, a driver seems the best possibility going forward.  We have decided to stay in temporary accommodation when we first arrive so we can learn about Ubud and surrounding areas and what our best options may be. I would appreciate any advice or your thoughts on how you find Ubud and all things to do with your move. I put a wee mail for help on Greens facebook page but got no replies. :-(   I will continue to look for information in the meanwhile and am hopful I will meet some people who can help. Ubudian has been very kind and we appreciate his advice.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, just seen your post this morning.