Ebay.com and import tax

I intend to buy from Hong Kong a camera but I'm not sure. Will the maltese financial institutions charge an import tax for this camera? Or nobody cares?

They'll charge you 18% VAT. Electronics are exempt from duty. Try buying it from Europe so you won't pay VAT and it would be cheaper to return if faulty. I learned the hard way when I received a defective tablet from China.

Thank you. I'll look in co.uk then.

If you're using eBay, you can specify that you want results from the EU only. There's a tick box on the left hand side of the results page of the .co.uk site.

I buy goods from China via eBay on a regular basis, never been charged import duty or VAT.
The stuff is a lot cheaper and they charge nothing or very little for delivery.
It will be as much hassle sending something back to the UK as it will to China and I have found the Chinese companies or individuals more than helpful if the item is faulty (they just send you another without charge).

Terry

no VAT if item costs less than 22, no duty if less than  150

I do get charged VAT when I receive items worth more than 22 euros. Most electronic goods, including cameras, are exempt from VAT regardless of value.

I do get charged VAT when I receive items worth more than 22 euros. Most electronic goods, including cameras, are exempt from VAT regardless of value.

Sorry for the multiple posts!

I should clarify - the  22 euro VAT limit applies to a package, not to individual items in it - as long as the price of all the items in total is less than  22, then no VAT payable.

Duty can vary from 0% to 50% (or more) - typical is 10-20%, but yes some electronic items are 0% rated (not exempt). They are not VAT exempt/VAT 0% rated.

You should also consider: When you buy from within the EU, you benefit from consumer rights in terms of warranty, claiming for repair, return etc. See europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/shopping-abroad/index_en.htm and europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/buy-sell-online/rights-e-commerce/index_en.htm for more details.