Salary Expectation for UK citizen

Hi

Anyone can advise me what could be a decent salary per a month for senior civil engineer ?

I have been offered around USD 4800 per month basic salary , 800 USD per month for accomodation, 800 USD for transport per month and air ticket for family once in 2 years. Is it OK ?
What is the monthly rent in Tripoly for 2 bed room flat/house?
Thank you in advance

Hello there.

I PM'd you.

Libyanjag

2nd PM also on it's way.

I wouldn't get out of bed for a w@nk in a cold bath to go to Libya for that deal :rolleyes:

Sandman, where is this cold bath deal available ? - very interested ...  ;-)

Sandman6 wrote:

I wouldn't get out of bed for a w@nk in a cold bath to go to Libya for that deal :rolleyes:

I see your opinion of Libya has mellowed since you left my friend :lol:

Further to the OP's post, it all depends on your own situation. Do you have a family to support ?, are you a first time ex pat ?, are you hoping to save money whilst here ?. I am here with my wife, and whilst I won't disclose my salary on an open forum, I am managing to save a bit every month. The 800US per month would probably get you a car and a driver right enough. But as for getting anything really decent on 800 US to live, I don't think so, but as usual I stand to be corrected.

I live in Tripoli, so if you want any more info drop me a PM.

800USD = 1043LYD, you might find somewhere to live for that but it'd be nowhere near 'western' standards. I think you need to be looking at 2000LYD+ for a 2 bedroom house. If you've a family and want say a 3-4 bedroom place with pool & garden then 3000-4000LYD.
Air ticket once in 2 years is a crap deal. Most expats feel the need to get out of here more regularly than that. If you've a family, chances are they'll want to get out  in summer when it can be very hot and schools are closed. I think  a minimum of 1 trip back home per year.
I know quite a few people involved in civil engineering projects here and they NEED their holidays ;)

I got in here specifically to read sandman's comment again.
Marvelous! Just marvelous!

hey, last post bumped me up to 200 and am now a "serial expat" but I really am not. Attaining Internet credibility is hard work, I tell ya!

Edited for spelling

Hi All

Thanks for all information and now I understand it is not worthy to accept the offer. Will wait for any new offer.

Thanks again

MoEl wrote:

I got in here specifically to read sandman's comment again.
Marvelous! Just marvelous!

You know the voice of treason....:lol:

Hey Sandy - now that you're out of Libya are you going to tell us what you really think?

:D

All this time I felt like you were holding back.

gabacho wrote:

Hey Sandy - now that you're out of Libya are you going to tell us what you really think?

Believe me he was. I am sure in the fullness of time he will look back on his time in Libya with misty eyed fondness :lol:

Clansman wrote:
gabacho wrote:

Believe me he was. I am sure in the fullness of time he will look back on his time in Libya with misty eyed fondness :lol:

A little booze probably helps....

gabacho wrote:

A little booze probably helps....

What do you mean, "a little"???? :lol:

I was tired and emotional! ;)

One trip home for family every two years is sub standard for expats.  If you've a family with you, they will go crazy because social life disappears in summer.  Most families with kids are gone virtually all of July, and large chunks of June and August. 

As to heat - not so bad if you have a villa with a pool. And hard to get one for less than 3500.