Everyday life and cost of living in Tripoli

Hello all,

I'm new in here as  was trying to search a bit and got to this forum. I come from the island of Malta and will be getting to Tripoli in 2 months. Would like to know a bit on the cost of living in Tripoli like eating and  food ecc...Hope and sure that I get some info from you guys.

Salam melitahams,

I am not in tripoli. I apologize for answering when I don't have first hand knowledge.
I have trouble getting responses in this forum, so I thought my answer would be better than none.
Prices are relative. I come from the US so I don't know prices in Malta.
Housing is very expensive in my opinion.
Cars are expensive.
And I was told by 1 person that taxis are expensive.

I am told that food is inexpensive especially if you eat fresh food and prepare it yourself instead of going to restaurants.

There is a lovely website that I came across that helps, although I can't say how accurate the information is.
It is
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ci … ty=Tripoli

It tells you the price for specific things like milk, eggs, average cost for restaurants, etc.

I hope that helps.

I wish you safe travels, and God's protection while you are here.

Hello Melitah,

here's a general description of the situation here since 2011:

- all prices have increased and business' / citizens are struggling to get by.
- one must queue for basic commodities such as bread & fuel ( at the moment tripoli has been short of fuel since 10 days ) and with the arrival of the hot season, expect black-outs through the city.
- decent rent is hard to get by since the asking price is usually higher than what you'd expect to pay abroad.
- as a foreigner expect to pay even more for any product / service due to the presumption that you're being paid a fortune in foreign currency.

good luck.

Hi melitahams,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I have created a new topic with your post in the Tripoli forum for better visibility ;)

call me 0916557933 if you are nwe you need someone to get you in life here in this town bdwy am not libyan am from  bosnia and herceg europe

Normal cost .. not expensive like EUR