MOVING TO MURCIA, so many questions !

Hey guys!

My wife and I want to move to Murcia next year, between Jan until July. My wife will have a job teaching English, that she achieved through the Spanish government. I however will be looking for work when I'm there.

Firstly, we havent decided where we want to live within Murcia yet. Apparently Cartagena is the go. Any input or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated :-)

Second, I know Spain is in somewhat of a crisis when it comes to employment at the moment, but I was wondering what the current situation is for expats looking for work there? I will do anything, and I would prefer to be immersed in Spanish all day. I'm thinking construction/labour work/ fruit picking/ teaching English or if all else fails, bar work. I have lots of experience in hospitality, speak good Spanish, and also have lots of experience on work sites. How difficult is it at the moment to find work in the region of Murcia? Are the main cities a better or worse option when looking for employment? And is there any useful sites/ contacts that people know for finding work?

I've heard there is a Murcian dialect spoken by the people of Murcia, how noticeable is it from the standard Spanish, and is it worth brushing up on some catalan seeing as we're so close to Valencia?

Lastly what are the sites/ festivals that we can't miss while being in Murcia?

You're help would be greatly apprectiated!!

Thanks

Michael

michaeljames wrote:

Hey guys!

My wife and I want to move to Murcia next year, between Jan until July. My wife will have a job teaching English, that she achieved through the Spanish government. I however will be looking for work when I'm there.

Firstly, we havent decided where we want to live within Murcia yet. Apparently Cartagena is the go. Any input or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated :-)

Second, I know Spain is in somewhat of a crisis when it comes to employment at the moment, but I was wondering what the current situation is for expats looking for work there? I will do anything, and I would prefer to be immersed in Spanish all day. I'm thinking construction/labour work/ fruit picking/ teaching English or if all else fails, bar work. I have lots of experience in hospitality, speak good Spanish, and also have lots of experience on work sites. How difficult is it at the moment to find work in the region of Murcia? Are the main cities a better or worse option when looking for employment? And is there any useful sites/ contacts that people know for finding work?

I've heard there is a Murcian dialect spoken by the people of Murcia, how noticeable is it from the standard Spanish, and is it worth brushing up on some catalan seeing as we're so close to Valencia?

Lastly what are the sites/ festivals that we can't miss while being in Murcia?

You're help would be greatly apprectiated!!

Thanks

Michael

Hi Michael and welcome to Expat.com.
To be honest I think you will find it very difficult to find work. The type of jobs you have suggested will be done by locals. Perhaps you could look at teaching English but you would have to get a qualification first.

Thanks for your quick reply!

Yes i was looking at doing my tefl certificate as well, hopefully that could also be an option. Do you recommend any cities to live in?

Hi Michael

I am thinking of moving to [near] Torrevieja in September for a year to see how it goes.  I am looking more for office/bank/administration roles but would be interested to hear from you if you find anything before you go.

Good luck,

Brad