Shopping, Sales, & Bargains :-) :-) :-)

Hello all,
I found a website that says a summer dress is on average 104 LD, Levis jeans 109.29 LD, and Nike shoes 135 LD.

My question is...do they have sales, bargain stores, or outlet stores?

If so, where are they and what kind if prices can I expect to pay when I find great bargains.

I would love for everyone to share their prized bargains, even if it was a "once in a lifetime deal".

Tell us what you got, how much you paid, where you found it and how much haggling you had to do to get it :-) .

Thanks Everyone!

Hi duadua

First of all you have to be aware that online shopping doesn't exist in libya simply because people dont have debit or credit card it is a cash only society.

As for those websites you found they are selling articles for europeans and Americans who can use a card from back home. And the price they advertise totally reflects this.  A summer dress for more than 100 LD???? I know tripoli is more expensive but anywhere else you can buy 2 or more outfits for half that price. 

As for nike and lewis noone here care about those. Fashion here is not about turning your body into billboards for companies that make millions on the back of little Chinese and bengladeshi children and charge you an arm and a leg to put their logo on your chest. I work in uni with fashionable young people and you barely ever see nike or gap or addidas and the like which as you can guess from my rant above I think is a good thing.

shopping in libya like everything else is different you'll find all kinds of shops but mainly the devide is between shops for locals and shops for expats. Libyans buy decent products at reasonable price but in tripoli especially you'll find loads of shop selling european and american brands at very expensive prices. It's up to you then to make your choice. There is nothing wrong with local products and you'll save a lot too. In libya people like to dress well but that means looking clean fresh and elegant its not about the name on your tshirt.

Hope you're making progress with your projects... take care and see you soon in libya

Hey ! as sis said no one here buys from those websites specially with these prices , and i haven't heard Libyan bought with these prices before ! i think although that Libya isn't an industrial country but prices still not like this ,,
i don't know about females clothes and how much it cost but for men the highest price i know for a jeans or pants is 60 or 70 LD for the italian one which is the best quality ! anyway the average is not 60 or 70 LD it's less than that it's 20 or 30 LD and you can find a lot of shops and bargains in Znata , Jraba , Ben ashour or shara alzawia ,, even Gergarsh or Alseyahya will not be like those prices that you said believe me !!

Hi everyone, the website I referred to was not for shopping at all. It was simply a "cost of living" website for many countries and it shows   the cost for clothing, food, restaurants, rent, electric, etc
In addition, it let's you compare the cost of your own country to the country you select. I thought it was an ingenious idea really, but its too bad the prices are wrong.
Actually it's good news as everyone is saying these prices are high.
And for the record, I don't much care about name brands. I am all about the price.
However, the Libyans that I met here care very much about name brands. They are always bragging about their Italian clothes, Levis, or asking me about the expensive brands.
But the whole country could be in expensive brands and I'd be wearing my pitiful clothes with a brand no one has heard of. :-)
Now with food, I may buy name brands, just because I can't read Arabic and want to make sure I'm getting the right product.
It would be great if some of you would go to the website and either enter accurate information, or look it over and come back to this site to tell me which figures were inaccurate, and give the correct figures.
I feel stupid now, as I just went shopping because, based on those figures, I assumed things are much cheaper here.
It is near impossible to find shirts long enough to cover my bottom with full sleeves in summer fabrics in my area. They all are sheer or 3/4 sleeves.
In Malaysia I saw some Muslim women wearing short sleeves with a hijab.
I didn't know such a style existed.
Is it ok to wear 3/4 sleeves with a hijab, or would it be offensive and better to not even wear a hijab if i show 1/4 of my arm?
I don't want everyone to look at me like a freak. :-)

I am not affiliated with this website at all. I simply came across it.
If anyone wants to give me feedback, or correct their information, the website is:
numbeo.com

You have to then enter tripoli, Libya.

Thank you, everyone!