Cost of living in Serbia

Hi everybody,

It would be very interesting and useful to exchange informations about the cost of living in Serbia. The idea is to help those who would like to live in Serbia.
Don't forget to mention where you are living

Let's compare the:

> accommodation prices (how much does it cost to rent or to buy an accommodation in Serbia?)

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer or a coffee in a regular pub

Thanks in advance for your participation! :top:

sent by novi sad newbie in July 2007

Here in Novi Sad, Serbia  5 km. from town center prices are:

Apartment- 300 Euros - for small apartment, living room/sleeping area, bathroom, small kitchen, wood floors and hopefully a small terrace.

Food - 8,000 dinars per month - we cook everything at home.

Beer in a cafe - 60 dinars at a cheap place we know with very cold beer.

Coffee in a cafe - 40 dinars for Turkish style

Bus Fare - 29 dinars for each trip

Bills:
Electric - 1500 dinars per month
Satellite - 300 dinars per month
Phone - 500 dinars per month

Dinner at a nice traditional restaurant with live tamburitza music on the Danube - 1,000 dinars for two with some wine.

Education - Don't have kids, but have been told elementary school is free, but beyond that you have to pay.

Bar of chocolate (had to put this one in wink - 80 dinars

Yes, there's a lot you could say about living in Serbia, but I would echo what "Novi Sad Newbie" says - those are pretty much the prices right now. Basically, the cost of living is still quite low but growing. There is also a commensurate growth in the living standard too, so all-in-all I have seen drastic improvement since coming to Serbia in 1996.

You can now get reasonably fast cable Internet access (mere science-fiction in Serbia as recently as 2004) and the availability of goods, foods etc. is hugely improved. The main things I am missing still are Shredded Wheat and Tetley tea, but I suppose you can't have everything!

The other side of the coin is quite high food prices (though certainly nothing to break the bank), increasing rent prices and growing bills too... Still, I can thoroughly recommend Serbia for a laid-back, relaxed way of life!

Mark

It has been a while since I was in Serbia so I will take what novi sad newbie said at a face value. However, there is one correction I need to add regarding education cost...both elementary and high school are free of charge. College does cost, but nothing comparing to the US prices. For example, my friend is getting her masters for (about) $1000!!! Can't beat that!

Yes, schooling is free up to and including high school.

"Dogsrule", I got your private message and hopefully can give you some tips as I am still in Novi Sad, will try to find some spare time later today.

Mark,

No rush, I understand you are busy. Thank you sooooo much.

Novi Sad is the second city in serbia after Belgrade. If you rent a flat you need minimum 500 euros salery to live here, but it means you must cook, no restaurants, no often go to caffe.
I rent a new flat with 2 rooms in downtown 180 euro, bills includin internet and mobile phone are arround 90 euros. It means you have about 230 euro when you pay flat and bills.

Middle sallary in Novi Sad is 400 euros.

Agreed, so basically if you are on any kind of "foreign" salary you can live very well here :)

If you have 800E you can live well. If you have more then 900 you can live very well. In Belgrade it is not enough because flat is more expensive(300-400E) and you need more money for transport.

Hi community
I'll be coming to serbia 8n oct 2021. Some leads for renting an apartment would be highly appreciated

Where do you plan on going? Belgrade, Novi Sad, Niš? That would help in order to give you better recommendations.