Moving in to Siem Reap from the Philippines

Hi,

We are a backpacking Filipino couple with location independent jobs, so we were thinking if it would be doable in the long run (or at least a few months) to get a place in Cambodia, Laos, VN or even Burma. We are used to roughing it; i.e., no A/C, no TV, no hot shower, as long as there is WiFi and a place nearby where to rent bicycle. I've read somewhere that it's possible to rent a room for 2 in Siem Reap for less than $100 a month. Given our 'bare necessities' lifestyle, would it be perhaps doable to live for $400 a month in SR? or maybe in Yangon? My only requirement, apart from WiFi and cheap and clean accommodation - and of course delicious local food - is proximity to hospitals with tertiary care. I'm undergoing treatment for my overactive thyroid, and while a thyroid storm happens once in a blue moon, I'd like to be able to get to a hospital for emergency treatment.

Any insight would be much appreciated. And oh, if you are thinking of moving into the Philippines, I can help. I've lived in Cebu, Manila, Boracay, Palawan, Siquijor, Bohol and Negros Island and I could lend insight to the local culture and cost of living in these places.

Hello redpirate427,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Your topic is now on the Siem Reap forum for more visibility.

Thanks,

Priscilla

Hi this is my 3rd time visited here in Siem Reap Cambodia. This time i stayed longer time because of lockdown in philippines can not comeback at this period of time.. i like i love here..
I am planing to apply for a job find a job have a work for a maintime.. Im a filipina from Bohol Philippines i can speak Tagalog Visaya English..