Tipping in PH

This is Jun and I'm currently visiting Manila for 2 weeks(playing the golf courses around Manila). I was wondering what is the average tip you pay someone.  The reason I ask is because I gave my golf caddie 500P.  I don't want to seem like a dumb foreigner to the locals.

Thanks...Jun

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294245-s606/Philippines:Tipping.And.Etiquette.html

That is a good days wages here.  But I do not golf.   I do tip the peddle trike drivers extra. I weigh twice as much as a Philippino.  I tell them Me extra peso, weight so pay little extra. They like that idea a tip for the extra weight I am.  I tip taxi drivers only if they do not get lost. They get extra for the wrong turn they make no tip.  Take me the right way a tip. And I know town well enough I SPOT WRONG TURNS NOW.  And know the back routs as well in traffic time. That is no problem they go that way to save time.   So tip for the service they give is the way I do it. That is the idea of a tip.

Mr_Golf wrote:

This is Jun and I'm currently visiting Manila for 2 weeks(playing the golf courses around Manila). I was wondering what is the average tip you pay someone.  The reason I ask is because I gave my golf caddie 500P.  I don't want to seem like a dumb foreigner to the locals.

Thanks...Jun

dumb...100 was good

We don't really have rules for tipping here in our country.  In most establishments, tips are given in the form of service charge (look at the receipt) but aside from that, an additional 10% will do. 

The Php 500 you gave was a bit too much, Php 100 to 200 will do :)

Mr_Golf wrote:

Thanks...Jun

For a caddie, 400-600 is the norm. The caddie is performing more than just pulling your clubs, advising distance, putting, finding lost balls, etc.

Most courses don't pay the caddies.  They can only caddie for one round, which on average is 5 hours, and maybe 2-3 days during the week.  So say p500 for 5 hours work is not much.

A trike/taxi, exact fare is fine maybe rounding up to the nearest 5p. For a restaurant, maybe 40p for the entire table.

dhnindc wrote:

For a caddie, 400-600 is the norm. The caddie is performing more than just pulling your clubs, advising distance, putting, finding lost balls, etc.

Most courses don't pay the caddies.  They can only caddie for one round, which on average is 5 hours, and maybe 2-3 days during the week.  So say p500 for 5 hours work is not much.

A trike/taxi, exact fare is fine maybe rounding up to the nearest 5p. For a restaurant, maybe 40p for the entire table.

You must not play golf...I was a caddie for 4 years  and an avid golfer. A round of 18 holes is only 3 to 3 1/2 hours...In the Philippines a construction laborer works for 5 to 600 a day 9 hours on average...Much harder work than caddying..For 3 hours work a caddie would be happy to receive 2 to 300 and if he or she is a good one a 50 to 100 peso tip on top of that is a very good tip...The course usually sets the standard caddie rate and the golfer must pay that at the completion of the round plus a tip if warranted...

Also, I forgot to mention, when I caddied it was $3 for singles and $5.50 for doubles and if I got a $1 tip I was happy...That was in '63....when the minimum wage was $.85 cents an hour and the average construction wage was $2 hour even more than a Filipino makes in 2014...LOL..

So this substantiates the 300 pesos max for 18 holes plus tip...Keep in mind a college professor in the Philippines makes an average of only 25K a month...So a common laborer only makes and average of half that...

Thanks much for the tip.  I'll ensure to remember this the next time I visit PH.

You must have never played in the Philippines.  A lot of the Koreans and Philippinos gamble on every hole and drag out the game. I play every Sat at Riviera and know what I am talking about. We tee off at 6:30 sharp and if lucky finish by 10:30.  If you tee off later, then expect 5= hours.  Maybe if your playing the short courses you could finish in 3 1/2 hours.

At Riviera, the course does not charge the player a caddie fee. So the caddie gets a p50 for being available to caddie. So your giving a p100 tip means your paying her p150 for 5 hours of work. Ayala Greenfield charges p400 for a caddie so you would tip less.  The standard daily wage for Manila is p600 per day. In the provinces, its less. 

The guy was asking about tipping at courses around Manila.  If your in provinces, its cheaper.  I am all for supporting the caddies and p500 is not a lot considering the work they do.  Some cheapskates would say we are ruining them for themselves, but comeon, golf is not a necessity in life.  Those who can afford to pay the membership and monthly dues should not be complaining about a few thousand pesos a month.

Actually I have played a lot of golf and if you watch the pros on TV for the US Open the course played at 7562 plus yards..They generally finish in 3 1/2 to 4 hours on TV none the less...Riveria is a little over 6500 yds from the blue tee...however, I have never played in the Philippines so perhaps you're right the Koreans and others hold the others up but from my experience it is courtesy for them to let you go through if in front of them have no players...So with that being said an 18 hole round should be less than 4 hours normally...Kamyer started his final round at 3:35PM and was finished by 7:10...That is only 3 hours 45 minutes on a course 1000 yards more than Riveria...And dont tell me the Koreans are you play from the gold tees...Most TPC courses dont even allow playing from the back tees except in major tourneys....It takes approximately 35 minutes to play that extra 1000 yards...So with that being said I still stand by my assertion a caddie should not be paid 500 pesos for under four hours work...It is not hard work...Nothing like a constuction worker...If a caddie did 2 rounds a day at 500 plus tips he would be making more than an average college professor and many caddies in the Philippines have other jobs they go to at night...They just caddie to make extra EASY MONEY...

I myself always enjoyed caddying and felt the money was not difficult as a young person..AND ANOTHER THING MOST OF THE PHILIPPINE CADDIES ARE WOMEN AND ONE OF THEIR OBJECTIVES IS TO LAND A FOREIGNER AND SOME ACTUALLY DO...Did you ever think of that