Nightlife in KSA

Hello Everyone,

Looks like I'll be moving to Jeddah in September to teach English. All the research I've done has shown that there is no nightlife in KSA. However, every so often I find an article about a club/pub (which sells what sounds like moonshine)/movie theaters in a hotel or in the expat compounds. Is this true?

What do college-aged Saudis do on a night out? I refuse to believe that they go to bed at 9pm. Or maybe I'm just naive.

Thanks for any info.

M

What do college-aged Saudis do on a night out

They drive recklessly up and down Olaya Street, trying to get the attention of any girl who might be in the vicinity!  (I'm serious lol)

They drive recklessly up and down Olaya Street, trying to get the attention of any girl who might be in the vicinity!  (I'm serious lol)

Or... they go to a coffee shop outside Riyadh and smoke shisha till dawn!

i think jeddah is more open rather than riyad

i think jeddah is more open rather than riyad

Yeah, but that wasn't the question.  Can you tell the guy what college aged students do on a night out?

Agree with Alliecat. But just before Olaya street they bluetooth the girls in the Kingdom, then I see these college-aged saudis on saturday morning when I get back to work after the weekend as RTA's - thats if you want to know about the outcome.

im sure that any night life in KSA involving moonshine ect will not be posted or admitted to here for the whole world to see?

He asked about Saudis, Nelson, not expats.

I'm not so sure Saudis are into homebrew (of course, I could be totally wrong here lol).  That's what I find somewhat amazing about the driving here.  They aren't drunk or on drugs--it's just the way they drive!! :lol:

Friends,
please don't tease of our people even they have nothing to do in the night in your opinion but for sure we have a lot of things to do as per our habits and our community style.
Really I cannot understand why other people want us to apply the American or Western Countries styles to be cool and nice country. If the opening concept means to replace our special civilization and our believes, it is not welcome.
ladies & gentlemen, all the nations around the world have its special mentality, special believes and special traditional. and we are great nation have grate history with very regrettable present. Actually, we have an internal voices calling for opening into everything but we think this is not correct, yes we need to be modern and flexible but we don't need to be a copy of other nation. please understand this.

I agree with you Methanol that every country has its own mentality and thinking, and no country should be pushed into something it dosnt want to be..Then could you please explain what do the young people actually do in Saudi??

Nights out here for locals is generally,
Driving (if u wanna call it that...)
Coffee
Shawarma
Hubbly Bubbly
Dinner
Window Shopping

please don't tease of our people even they have nothing to do in the night in your opinion but for sure we have a lot of things to do as per our habits and our community style.

Surely you aren't taking offense for comments regarding the crazy drivers in KSA????  If crazy driving is what you consider 'communitty style,' God help you.

And if you read the posts in this forum, you should certainly agree they are  very even-handed.  We don't sugarcoat things but certainly we aren't 'anti' Saudi.  If this is what you are suggesting, I find it very offensive.

Octavion wrote:

What do college-aged Saudis do on a night out? I refuse to believe that they go to bed at 9pm. Or maybe I'm just naive.

M

They drive up and down the street creating traffic jams. They go shopping, they drink coffee and they drink juice.

Young Saudis, especially those that don't work are "night owls", they hearken to their cultural traditions of talking with friends all night long.

Makes it really hard to attend class or work the next day if you don't go to bed before 5:00 a.m., but many of them try it.

c'mon dont blame the driving! that happens wen they r not allowed to drink...

everyone has a wilder side to them...it is natural and has to come out...here it can be taken out only on petrol

Maybe they drink the petrol and that explains the driving?

However I must admit my driving is worse than them

I must admit my driving is worse than them

Is that really possible ?!? :lol:

Alliecat wrote:

I must admit my driving is worse than them

Is that really possible ?!? :lol:

Maybe if he was blindfolded and his arms taped to his side.

As a Saudi young man, I can tell you what I was doing before getting marriage (during uni studying) in Riyadh

During working days, I wake up for “Fajr” Pray then back to sleep up to 6:30 am then leaving for university. Back to home afternoon and I doing my social live with my parents, sisters and brothers. After “Magreb” Pray this is our family golden time (usually in KSA timing from 6:00 pm 7:30 pm) in this time we are watching TV and enjoying talking with our old father or old mother.  Because of this time is too short only one and half hour most of Saudi enjoying it with family. Some times we are hosting  some relative who are coming for visit.
After “isha” pray at around  8:00 pm we do our outdoor social life like visiting relatives to have a diner or doing our free time for shoping or having a coffee and because of weather, we are using night to do our daily plan, shopping, cafes, smoking shisha . As a student I was studying for one hour then I leaving to meet friends to do our free time. Sometimes we take a our coffee bottle (Dallah) from our home then we doing fast picnic near Riyadh in (Al Thumamah) Area.

After having marriage the system not much changed only I'm doing most of my activities with wife instead friends.

well
as a saudi who lived all his life here, i'll just write most of the things i do, so, that i might give you an idea ^_^

* at 4:30 I wake up for the (Fajer) prayer
* have my breakfast
* go to work
* at 3 o'clock back to home
* from 3 to 6 i have my launch pray (Alasser) prayer  and play some video games.
* pray (Almaghreb) prayer
* go shopping and get everything i need for the house- if there's any-
* pray ( Aisha) prayer
* then here comes the outdoor life, and it's different from day to another, but i'll list what i can remeber of my activities down here:
* meet friends, go to the gem, go to network games shop - since i own one-!!! go to Bahrain for a movie, go to Aramco camp , go to Alkhobar Cornish, go to the Half-moon beach, go to a coffee shop thou i don't like it that much, play football or tennis with my friends, take a walk in Alswaiket Area,….etc

those are some of my activities, but i really spend more time and most of the days in the network games shop with my friends or in front of my PS3! :D

these are the things that I could remembered sorry if i missed something.
Have a wonderful day guys:)

It was nice of both of you to share what your days are like.

Such views are helpful for us, who live with you and next to you to understand something of your lives.

I've taken to readin the old threads of an evening and some of this stuff is great :)

FYI -  i was watching a documentary on television the other night where "crash for cash" scams were exposed.

people in England crashing ON PURPOSE, to profit from the litigation to follow.

I hear driving in the kingdom is dodgy...but would anyone even dare to try such an escapade there? I doubt it!

mnd wrote:

* meet friends, go to the gem, go to network games shop - since i own one-!!! go to Bahrain for a movie, go to Aramco camp , go to Alkhobar Cornish, go to the Half-moon beach, go to a coffee shop thou i don't like it that much, play football or tennis with my friends, take a walk in Alswaiket Area,….etc

Thanks for enlightening us on the topic! I'm so glad there are actual Saudi people who are on this forum to give us an idea of what a typical day for native Saudis look like.

I'm just curious though - I know that moviehouses don't exist in Saudi... so it is actually ok for Saudis to watch movies in Bahrain? Why are moviehouses banned in Saudi in the first place?

I know Saudi's who will occasionally spend the weekend in Bahrain with their children doing nothing but going from one movie to the next in the large cineplex.

@Saq - I doubt Crash for Cash will be seen here. They do drive like crazy but not with that intent in mind although the fact that insurance is now compulsory may motivate them to drive even more recklessly.