Ecuador Coast Line

Is the Ecuador coast line a good area to settle down in, as a retirement living condition, cost wise versus Cuenca and inland? Single male from Southern CA who wants to relax and enjoy a more subtle lifestyle, soon.

Hi RRC,
I would suggest doing a bit of research on Bahia ..it is a great place for a 'home-base' while you explore the beach areas around the mid-coast region. There are many ExPats there and a lot of sailing ships go there to take a break from the seas.
I really loved my time spent there and would recommend it to anyone wanting a laid back lifestyle.

Good luck in your quest...Please keep up posted on your decisions,
Jan

Look up canoathrills on the web.  ItŽs the website of two friends that moved there and bought a bar.  Pete has a lot of information for expats and can help you figure out where a good match would be.  Hope it helps- Jon

savvyroundtheworld.wordpress.com

Hi RRC,
Check out Salinas.  We have a growing Ex-pat community here and we are more "developed" than some of our neighboring coastal towns.  Best advice would be to come down for a couple of weeks to explore all the great coast options that Ecuador has.  Let me know if I can help with anything!

We are interested in moving to the Ecuadorian coast around the Crucita area. How bad is the mosquito problem and are there banks or atm close by? Do you have to carry tp to all local restuarants?

Welcome to Expat.com tod&mary !

Maybe you should start a new discussion on the Ecuador forum?

tod&mary wrote:

We are interested in moving to the Ecuadorian coast around the Crucita area. How bad is the mosquito problem and are there banks or atm close by? Do you have to carry tp to all local restuarants?

Mosquito problem is about like South Florida by the Everglades (having live there for 25 years and here on the coast for 2+ years now -- that's my best take on it)

I always have one nasty mosquito who dives past my ear around 3am and I am beginning to believe it is the same damn sucker!  Anyway I use insect repellent and fall back to sleep.  And like in Florida, use insect repellent at dusk (and dawn if you head out early)

Anything with DEET is effective and so is the old standby AVON Skin So Soft products and AVON is available here in Ecuador.

I also use some inset repellent on my ankles and calves when I go walk on the beach -- there are lots of no-see'ums and sand fleas that just seem to adore gringa skin.

And if you have pets -- you will want to be sure to keep them on their Frontline type products -- fleas and ticks seem to adore gringo dogs too -- but finipronyl is easy to find at most pet stores and vterinarians.