Is Chile the one?

Hi,
Me and my parents are looking for a country in south America to "retire" , we want to stay in a place like Algarve/Portugal, that means the beach/tourist place in that country, from what ive read Viña del Mar is the Algarve of Chile.
What i want to know is the basic stuff like:

- how much would it cost a house ( not apartment ) near the beach ( not on the beach but walking distance ) with 2 or 3 bedrooms?

- is it possible to live with around $1200 a month ( not per person per couple/family ) with no worries/comfortable ( owning a house not renting )

- What are the best zones in Viña del Mar or what other places do you recommend?

i usually ask for crime issues but from every where i read seems to be a country with low crime thats good

Dear patagoniax,
And I thought *I* was negative on Chile!!

Though, Sephius, he does bring a great point in that we should HOPE you will visit before deciding to move down here. Viña del Mar may be beachy and fabulous but it's also a small town and as a result, outside summer, can be very boring.

And in my opinion, no, you cannot live with USD $1200 a month for a couple. Rents in Viña are pretty pricey in comparison to other small towns near there (i.e. Quilpue).
My mother lives ALONE on $1800 a month and lives reasonably well and comfortable.

I hope this helps.

Lots of luck,
Andrea