Moms living at Palm Springs Apartments or nearby?

Hi...I am moving with my family to Beijing at the end of June.  I have two small children 2 1/2 years old and 9 months old.  We will be living in the Palm Springs complex.  I'm looking to get involved in mom groups or play dates around that area and also up for ANY advice anybody has about moving to Beijing with small children. We are moving from California, USA for my husband's job.  I'm excited and anxious and would love to hear from any of you.

Sounds like our kids or more or less the same age.

Mine is a Jan 2012.

We don't live near Palm Springs but are frequently in the vicinity because we like Chaoyang Park (directly opposite your main gate). It has sections for everyone - Amusement Park with death defying rides, little kids play area, boating, swimming pool, areas to set up a tent and relax, (from time to time) large happenings. It also has various sports facilities example football (soccer), tennis and a man-made beach (originally built for the Olympics beach volley ball).

General entrance to the park is 5RMB, kids under 1.2m are free of charge, there are additional charges for the rides and facilities.

Oh thank you so much for the tips.  Yes must be close in age.  My daughter was born January 10 2012.  We chose Palm Springs because my husband thought it would be convenient for me with the kids alone all day while he was at work.  Based on what you're saying sounds like there's plenty to do and some stores close by as well.  That's a relief.  We will be there end of June so maybe our families can meet up at some point.  Where are you from and what brought you to Beijing?

So my son is 3 days older than your daughter.

I've been in China since 1998, Beijing since Jan 2003 and I provide a whole range of services for new assignees including organising the get togethers for Beijing Expat.comgers.

I won't list the range of destination services I provide here so as not to turn this into a self-advertisement.

If you/your hubby/his company need a hand please feel free to contact me.

Hi Lyn and Manlin,

I am in a very similar situation to you, LynV. My wife and I live in Providence, RI and we're thinking of moving to Beijing for a 3 year contract job. My wife would be staying home with our two kids. Our daughter was born in July of 2012 and our son was just born in April this year.

Because we don't want to have to bother with owning and operating a car on the chaotic Beijing streets we are thinking the best place for us to be is close to downtown where there are a lot of great amenities within a short strolling distance.

I have really only just begun the process of looking for specific neighborhoods in which to live, but I have heard great things from a few different people about the Chaoyang Park area. Another guy I will be working with is living with his wife and 15 month old daughter in Seasons Park in the Dongzhimen area and they have a very nice setup with indoor pool, playground etc and LOTS of stuff to walk to. Seems like there is no shortage of great places to call home!

We will probably be moving sometime around October and we will definitely be looking to make new friends to enjoy playdates with my wife and kids.

Hope your move goes well.

Peisfam hi

Seasons Park is also very nice

The rent will be (I think) less than Palm Springs.

Seasons Park is far from being walking distance to Chaoyang Park.

Will you / you & wife be coming over for a look-see visit?

If yes and you need help feel free to contact me.

Hi,
I live in Palm Spring to, but kids is not same age. I have one 4 year old son and one 3 month old. But if you will think about kindergarten there is one good one very close by, next to the RUG cafe. Otherwise Rug is a good cafe to bring kids also..there is a playroom...but guess you already know. Palm Spring playground is small but Park Aveney is big and is maybe fun to go for a change. And lots of indoors playgrounds at the shopping mall at the end of Chaoyang Park, it's a long but nice walk throug the park..or you can take a free ride with the Park bus. I will be back in Palm Spring in september ..so maybe we will meet at the playground.