Salary matter and travel from Alkhobar to Bahrain

Hi,

i am from Singapore.I have around 7 years work exp, i have masters degree and now working in oil and gas, pretrochemical industry. working as a project engineer

What salary can i expect for my profile. What expat package i can look for?

If i wish to travel from bahrain to alkhobar daily, will i be able to save and run my family?

I am looking for challenging and demanding projects to work for? Can someone enlighten me on the above information?

Is it wise to travel to bahrain daily or better stay in khobar daily? I personally dont want my wife to be restricted to house and prefer to be independent. i have a new born kid also. Given all these, can some one advise me. Thank you. 

Regards

You will be spending 2-3 hours commuting if you stay in Bahrain.  Stay in a western compound in Khobar and it will be fine.

You shouldn't get less than 15-20k, plus furnished housing in a compound, medical insurance, annual tickets.  Salary I mentioned is somewhat of a stab in the dark, as salaries depend primarily on nationality with Westerners getting the highest, anywhere from 2 to 10 times more than those getting the lowest pay, depending on industry.  Not many Singaporeans here so I am not sure how Saudis view/place them on the race scale.  But I am pretty sure closer to the upper end than to the bottom end which includes Bangladeshis, Yemenis, Somalis, etc.  Cost of living is very high in Singapore, so that's on your side.

As for challenging and demanding, let me tell you that hardly any professional leaves from here with the thought that they furthered their career or their technical knowledge or skills, save for those who come here straight after college.  So, don't expect much in terms of career growth.  One thing everybody does learn a lot of here is patience!

Thank you Trapezius for your reply.

The last line is something i got really impressed. I do understand Working in Saudi is means we earn or save a lot. But on the other hand i am looking for some interesting and challenging assignments to work for. Not just money.

Singapore is really a good place to live and work. i really loved it, but i am keen to working on rewarding assignment. All i know is there are plenty of options for me in terms of projects to work but i am desparately looking for some one who can help me to show a way and then i can take a lead from that.

Your information has given me a good insight on life of Saudi. Let me wait for others to respond to this thread.

You are welcome.

Have you looked at Dubai, Abu Dhabi, and Qatar?  Much greater chance of career growth there, much better for your wife and child, much lower frustration, and especially Dubai is a lot like Singapore.

Good luck!

Hi Trapezius

Many Many thanks for your guidance. I am looking for those opportunities as well... i am looking for oil and gas projects to work. (FPSO) any challenging assignment.

I am worried if agents will get into touch with me and i end up in a problem like less salary and stuffs....

Moreover i have a known company to help me but they are into infrastructure business... and i heard dubai has lot of infrastructure businesses than oil and gas...

If you get to know some one please let me know. I will be much thank ful to you...

For oil and gas, look at Abu Dhabi and Qatar, Bahrain too. (and yes, Saudi)

I would suggest creating profiles on the local job sites and searching for jobs.

monster gulf
bayt.com
naukri.com

And there might be more.  There also must be specialized websites or newsletters for the oil and gas industry with relevant job postings.  If I come across something I will let you know.

Thank you so much Trapezius. I am also writing emails directly to employers. Lets me see which one works out.

I am just worried if i write email to monstergulf these websites agents will contact me.

Anyways since you have suggested, i have uploaded my resume in monster. Let me see which one works for me.

By any chance if you or your spouse are from oil and gas industry, let me know any companies that strike your mind.

Regards

Hi...we r currently in Bahrain also and my husband  is working in alkobar...everyday he traveled...it takes 1 to 1.5 hrs going in and 2 to 3 hrs going bck to bahrain...that's only during Sunday to tue...on wed it takes 3 to 4hrs going bck to bahrain...the worst things is on thu...the minimum is 4hrs travel time going in to bahrain...that is if u leave the office by 2pm...but if u leave later than that it's a different story...it will be a hell queuing on the cost way that will cost u 5-6hrs...plus u need to pay bd2 in going in plus bd2 going out of coast way...bd4 in total for one day...
Hope it helped

Thanks "Happy wife" for your feedback.

So it sounds to me that, effectively we cant spend time with family and most of the time goes out in travelling to and fro Bahrain.

The cost you mentioned is bd4 is at the bahrain cause way. Similarly there should be causeway charge at the saudi entrance right?

May i know what makes you to stay, when your spouse effectively spends less time with you all...? I am asking this question to understand from my spouse point of view.