Selling/transferring my motocycle in Paraguay

I tried to give away my KLR650 to a friend in Argentina and found it was not possible, as the law does not allow it. My bike is there now and i want to ride it to Paraguay  in two weeks and give it away to one of my friends (a paraguayan living near Asuncion). Does anyone know how/if this can be done? basically, i just want to transfer the title. Otherwise, i am going to try and air freight the bike from Asuncion to the USA, (my plan B) so if anyione knows if THAT can be done and HOW it is done, I'd really appreciate it. Plan "C" involves shipping home from Buenos Aires, so info on any of these things would be most appreciated

What year is it? What's the condition? How many miles? Any link to pictures? I may be interested in buying it or I can help you ship it back.

Thanks for the offer. I love my KLR650, all dressed up for adventure. i rode it from California.It's all set up for adventure with Happy Trails cargo boxes, reinforced frame, all metal lines, and much more. I have lots of people who want to buy it and i know how to ship it from Buenos Aires. i want to give the bike to my friend (a Paraguayan citizen) so he can keep it at his home for me,as i do not want to part with it, but it has to be transferred from me to him so he can register it.I can't keep it in country for very long with just my tourist papers. That is what i didn't know how to do. If it is too much of a hassle, I would like to ship it home to San Francisco, but i only know how to ship from Buenos Aires and i would like to avoid the hassle of riding all that way so I'd like to ship it from Asuncion, but my preference would be to transfer it. I'd appreciate any info on either subject.

I don't blame you, I came here on my bike as well and won't sell it for a million years :) Transferring the title is not an easy task as your friend would have to import the bike legally and that costs anywhere from $1000 and up depending on the year and model, not even counting the registration and transfer cost. If it's older than 2004, that's even worse as there is a restriction on older vehicles more than 10 years.

I can help you ship it back to US (Miami) on a cargo ship for around 800 bucks and that means dismantling and crating it. You can also ship it by air from asuncion. American Airlines has direct flight to US from here and they do cargo as well so you might wanna give them a call for a price quote.

Third option would be to just leave the bike here with your friend and come back for it any time. Paraguay Customs don't have computers and the only thing that they will give you upon entering is a piece of paper that doesn't mean jack:) Granted, he couldn't ride the bike legally but no one would come and knock on his door for storing it.

When you decide to pick it up, just leave the country to Argentina for example and you are good to go. Believe me, I have done this over 30 times.

But a word of caution, don't trust anyone with your possessions in South America. I don't care how good your friend is or how close you are, if you care about that bike and want to see it again, take it home with you. Out of sight is out of pocket down here.

Thanks again for the advice. I have been going to Latin America since i was 17 years old (I'm 57 now) and know what you mean. I trust my friend. He lives down the street from me and has dual citizenship and has a house in San Bernardino where the bike will be kept.I would never leave it otherwise. His relatives there have offered to "watch" the bike for me, but I said no for the very reasons you state.It will stay locked up with no one having access to it. I know all too well the hassles of government in all of Latin America. That is why i wanted to know about shipping. I don't really want to ship it because I have bikes here in my garage, but wanted a bike stashed down there. But if it is too much of a hassle, I wanted the option to ship it home.Thanks for the tip on American Airlines. i will check that out so I can have a "plan B". As far as just keeping it there illegally, the papers will be checked when i ride the bike out of the country, so that would not work, unless I wanted to keep it in Paraguay,m then I would just have to hope the police dont pull me over. I got pulled over repeatedly on my way down.

raspano wrote:

the papers will be checked when i ride the bike out of the country, so that would not work,

That's not true. Border crossings at Porto Falcon and Ciudad del Este both have different buildings depends on entering or exiting. For example, on the way out of Paraguay from porto Falcon, you don't stop at the Aduana or immigration in Paraguay and directly enter Argentina and the only requirement for entering Argentina is exit stamp for yourself in the passport from the paraguayan immigration office INSIDE Argentina. NO ONE will ever ask you for your bike papers and Argentina doesn't care about your paraguayan import  papers either. The Ciudad del Este is even easier because the traffic so heavy and the bridge so narrow that you can't even stop if you even wanted too.

So if you are chaining the bike here, have no fear, just leave it and you can leave the country with it at any time. I shouldn't probably say this on public forum but $20 bills go a long way at checkpoints too, no matter the crime :)

wow.. that is amazing. That is great info to know.Just parking the bike seems like the easiest solution. One worry i had is how i cross borders into other countries with a bike that is titled in anther's name, so just keeping it without transferring it would eliminate that worry.I can keep everything current here so i wil have up to date bike papers for when i want to ride back into Argentina (they are unbelievably meticulous about that sort of thing there and each aduanero seems to make up his own rules).
I have heard of the twenty dollar bil thing.I just wasn't suer what the going rate was down there these days. Although that always works in Mexico, most of the other countries are not corrupt and that is just a myth people believe from seeing Mexico. In Argentina they are likely to arrest you, and in Chile also. In Peru you have a  25% chance of having it succeed, so thanks for that advice. Nothing substitutes for information from someone who has lived it. I wil definitely keep the option of crossing at Puerto Falcon or Ciudad del Este. Are you in Paraguay now? Would you mind if i e mail you from the road if i have an issue? Thanks for helping me out.

No problem, if you need any help shoot me a message and i'll do my best. Bribing works everywhere, not that i like to do it or even condone it, but sometimes it's the only way. Paraguay Police is as corrupt as it gets. As for the going rate in Paraguay, Policia Caminera is 20,000 Guaranies, municipal police outside of asuncion is 50,000G and inside asuncion mostly in the center is 100,000G. (Roughly $5, $11, $22). Just make sure that you have local currency otherwise the price goes up. I always have a 50,000G bill folded between my driver's license and registration and they prefer it that way. They will say thank you and you'll go on your way :)

Now if you didn't do anything wrong, don't pay them anything, just raise hell and ask for their chief.

More great info and I thank you again. I have escaping shakedowns down to a science. When they tell me that I must pay a fine, i hold my ground and tell them to write me a ticket.When they see a quick pay off is not coming, they always let me go. My fluent Spanish also turns very bad-- so bad I'm convinced they let me go just so they wont have to listen to it. But if I do have a problem at some time with my papers or if I get caught really doing something (like the time I made a U-turn under a sign prohibiting it) the details you gave are nice to know.