Hi! Im coming to Riyadh this month

Hi! Im coming to work in Riyadh this month. Im plan to live there for 2-3 years. Im having difficulties of getting some infos, so I would appreciate help.

As it seems life is quite different from European style. I would like some answers. Thanks!

1. Can I install internet in my accomodation and will it have filters? (for Skype and online gaming and such.)

2. What mobile operator is the best?

3. Whats the life tempo? For example when do you wake up, go to sleeb, work, when kids go to school, itc...

This is for starters. There will be more questions :D

Thanks again, my future friends!

Welcome to KSA man,

Here are your answers...
1. Yes you can install internet connection and yes it will be moderated, but you can use skype, msn, yahoo... etc. As for gaming, I used to play World of Warcraft and it works, lots of latency though, I'm sure most of the other games work too...
2. All mobile operators are pretty much the same (STC, Mobily & Zein) but STC seems to be the most popular.
3. Most companies start working at 08:00 till 17:00 not sure about schools though

Hope that helps :)

I was about to reply u since everybody around has gone for the lunch but for my surprise MadMaz i here and replied u well :)

and about Network;I would suggest STC sawa is Prepaid and AlJawal is Postpaid.Some people go with Mobily as well but i believe Stc covered most of the areas in Kingdom

Thanks for answers.

I heard something about sattelite internet, That if u re using it that theres no moderating. Im curious because i play poker with friends online.

No,It shouldnt be a problem.There r many who play Poker plus I know this craze is exceeding on Facebook too.

Satellite is EXTREMELY expensive, however.  I can't give you exact figures but I know others on this forum will.

What Maz didn't mention is that companies commonly work a half day on Thursday (the Saudi work week is 44 hours--they believe in working long, if not necessarily hard ;) ).  Where I work, it's 8-5:30 but we don't work on Saturday.

Oh.. and I forgot.. Welcome to the forum!!

and thanks, nonzie, for holding down the fort while the mice were out playing! :)

Alliecat wrote:

Oh.. and I forgot.. Welcome to the forum!!

and thanks, nonzie, for holding down the fort while the mice were out playing! :)

Pleasure is all mine and the mice do need to play sometime :P

thanks for answers.

Im so excited about coming in Riyadh, no matter the cultural differences. I think I will organize my free time good and enjoy it.

Shops (groceries) are working from 8h- 17h?

Hello Mudrinjo,
Ive been doing ALOTTT of browsing and been cross checking the info with my betterhalf in Riyadh! An interestingly odd n surprising thing that I found out was that single men are not allowed in malls on weekends (so women arent harrassed):rolleyes:I believe a mall called Localizer is more lenient!
The Pakistani taxi drivers get stopped alot to get checked!
Alot of places have the same name like so be specific (ie mall/compound/road etc) or you'll end up God knows where!

Did alot of school browsing and correspondence. The schools I liked are American, British and Multinational. Didn't try american (we follow the British curriculum)...British put the kids on their waiting list. Multinational had some openings. Met a Turkish fella who had kids going there and was quite happy. Do read their requirements for past school reports etc.
Hope this helps!

Hello Mudrinjo,
Ive been doing ALOTTT of browsing and been cross checking the info with my betterhalf in Riyadh! An interestingly odd n surprising thing that I found out was that single men are not allowed in malls on weekends (so women arent harrassed)rollI believe a mall called Localizer is more lenient!
The Pakistani taxi drivers get stopped alot to get checked!
Alot of places have the same name like so be specific (ie mall/compound/road etc) or you'll end up God knows where!

Did alot of school browsing and correspondence. The schools I liked are American, British and Multinational. Didn't try american (we follow the British curriculum)...British put the kids on their waiting list. Multinational had some openings. Met a Turkish fella who had kids going there and was quite happy. Do read their requirements for past school reports etc.
Hope this helps!

Thank you SF15!

I am single man. jizzz,what will I do on weekends (thats Saturday and Sunday? or Jumma Friday???) When are football games? Can golf or bowling be done through weekend?

I asked about schools just to get feel about life there. So life scheduale is pretty the same as in Europe/America?

Weekend is Thursday and Friday, sure you can enjoy all kinds of sports during the weekend including the ones you mentioned

Your welcome..The weekend ban is quite crappy considering the men are working week days and then cant shop on weekends if single.  sorry by 'when kids go to school' i assumed you were coming with a family :)
Best of Luck!

Satellite is EXTREMELY expensive, however.  I can't give you exact figures but I know others on this forum will.

I had it last year, US$122 a month and it sucked.  Terrible download speed, connections kept dropping.  It had no censor, at all, but unless you have certain likes, it just wasn't worth it.

And shopping from 8-5?...no business are generally open then.  Saudi is a "night time" culture.  Shopping for groceries can occur until midnight or later.

welcome

MisterStretch wrote:

I had it last year, US$122 a month and it sucked.  Terrible download speed, connections kept dropping.  It had no censor, at all, but unless you have certain likes, it just wasn't worth it.

And shopping from 8-5?...no business are generally open then.  Saudi is a "night time" culture.  Shopping for groceries can occur until midnight or later.

Sorry was out of town with friends (they threw me a party for two days at sea, for my leaving to Arabia). Well, my arrival to Riyadh is definitely close, and Im excited.

Misterstretch thanks on reply.
So sattelite is out of question. Then what is the best bargain? I would like to download some movies, music and play video games online.

I am "night time" type too, so this shopping thing in the evening is great for me. :D

welcome

Ty! :)

am "night time" type too, so this shopping thing in the evening is great for me.

But are you the 'being on the job at 8AM' type?!?  This place is killing meeeeeeeeeeee lol

Alliecat wrote:

But are you the 'being on the job at 8AM' type?!?

Who said I will be working from 8 a.m.? ;)

In my experience very few folks get to work on time here although they sure make it a point to leave on the dot..... Must be the heat?

We get a letter if we're one minute late :(

I was going to put something about 'being on the job in the morning', but this is a family show. ;):lol::lol::lol::lol:

And Hi Mudrinjo and welcome to the Blog.

musicman wrote:

In my experience very few folks get to work on time here although they sure make it a point to leave on the dot..... Must be the heat?

I am at work before required (now 0630, as it's summer time) but never cease to be amazed at the guys standing with briefcases in hand, watching the second hand of the clock and striding out the door as it just reaches the top of the minute.

Our work day finishes at 1330, and by 1331 the office is completely empty.

Hello to all,
I am considering a position with the RCA, and was looking for anyone who can offer some insight. It will be an accompanied tour so  information on compound housing, schools, etc would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has anything specific to working for them, I could use some honest feedback.

Cheers,
Shane

opfor21 wrote:

Hello to all,
I am considering a position with the RCA

What does RCA stand for?

At some international schools  in Riyadh they take off a whole days pay if you are 10 minutes late.... Some teachers get zero pay at the month end....

Im in Riyadh for some time now, just to inform you. :D

My occupation, beside job, right now is finding compound. Yes I know that here was written tons about it.

I would like this thread to be "how to (succesfully) find compound in Riyadh" from now. Any given information is pure gold.

I visited some compounds and they are filled and there is long waiting list. i know that is no way of getting it. What can I do else? Can my work colegues help me with their connections? Who is best connection? Is there way to bribe somebody?

- my other part of question is: How is living in compound? I am bachelor. Is there good socializing? Single womans? Partys? What compounds are best for that?

Thank you in advance.

Is there way to bribe somebody?

I love it!  :lol::lol::lol:

Is there way to bribe somebody?
Is there good socializing? Single womans? Partys? What compounds are best for that?

:lol::lol::lol:  Im with you Allie!   Someone please remind him he is living in KSA and there is none of that here!  :dumbom:

Did he say BRIBE? or Bride? Yikes!

I asked. Sorry. :)

Please dont spam the topic now with that.

Mudrinjo wrote:

I would like this thread to be "how to (succesfully) find compound in Riyadh" from now. Any given information is pure gold.

Sorry, afraid I might 'spam the topic' :P

Mudrinjo - Welcome to the Forum and Riyadh!  Im sure you will have a great time here, despite the lack of entertainment!  :)  Although, if you hang with us you will have some fun!

As for compound life, it can me enjoyable.  There are many out there with Bachelor accommodations, so don't be shy,  place you name on the list for each one you find attractive.  Who knows, there may be a miracle and you could get a call. 

Again, welcome!