Cost of living in Greece

Hi everybody,

It would be very interesting and useful to exchange informations about the cost of living in Greece.
The idea is to help those who would like to live in Greece.
Don't forget to mention where you are living

Let's compare the:

> accommodation prices (how much does it cost to rent or to buy an accommodation in Greece?)

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> price of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> price of a beer or a coffee in a regular pub

Thanks in advance for your participation!

Sent by Melusina in Dec 2005

What we paid in Athens, Greece:

> accommodation prices - 330 euros a month, 1 bedroom, 1 bath, nice sized kitchen, large living room - close to metro station

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...) it was 70 cents, I think it has gone up though - for the metro, didnt use the bus.  Cabs can get pretty expensive, because it takes cars a long time to make their way through the city

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)  for 2 of us, about 600 euros a month (ate out a lot)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance) well, doesn't count for us right now, as he is a doctor, so most of what we get is free =p

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity) we use lots of electricity, our bills were (and still are) about 100 euros a month, thats with blasted cold A/C in the summer =p

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone) internet, we pay about 30 a month for adsl, NOVA satellite TV is 50 a month, telephone with caller id about 22 a month.  Also, for apartment buildings there are "common" expenses, which in Athens included heating, rounded out to I guess about 30 a month, but you pay more in the winter, obviously, water bill was about 30 a month

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant nice meal for 2, with wine, around 50 euros

> prices of a beer and of a coffee in a regular pub  3 to 5 euros, VERY high

For the smaller villages, on Kos (the island) our accomodation was 265 euros a month, all the other prices really about the same.  In Litochoro, we paid 190 euros a month for what amounted to a 2 bedroom apartment.

Here in Thessaloniki, we aren't paying for the apartment (since it belongs to the family) but the other prices are the same.  But apartment costs in the city centre (where we live) and even in the near outskirts can be very high (for Greece), up to 600 euros a month for a 1 bedroom.

I live in Kifissia - northern suburbs of Athens
accommodation = anything from E650 one bedroom -  upwards - depends on what you want.  The next area down from here is Maroussi - rents about E500 and upwards.

Travel - 80c a ticket which is valid for 1.5 hours and can be used on the metro and the buses.  This ticket is valid in all zones and can be used to go from Kifissia to the centre of Athens. (journey time approx. 45 minutes)

Health - I've got private health care - again depends what you want there.

Eating out -  good souklavi places - 15 euros - alcohol ups the bill unless you drink the 'house' wine.

Restaurants - 30 euros upwards

I've got independent heating so the oil prices go or down according to price of petrol.  Last year 600l was around 480 euros. 

Telephone/internet - I've got Conn-x.  My bills work out about 100 - 160 every two months - but I phone abroad a lot.

Water - every 3 months - about 40euros

Electricity - between 50 - 100 depending on the time of year.

But kifissia is probably the most exspensive place to live so not the best place to give as a example.....

What about Souda Bay, Crete??? Can anyone give any input on all these costs of living there? I might accept a job there but need to make sure I can afford to support my husband and me.

> accommodation prices -  I am in Piraeus,about 10 min walk from the train station, rent is 300euros for 1 bedroom, 1 living room, 1 WC, & balcony, 42 SQ meters apartment.

> public transportation fares - New ticket has been issued for (almost) all transports: 1 euro, can use on all public transport(except airpotrt buses etc) for the duration of 1 1/2 hrs. Taxis are quite expensive and really NOT worth it.

> food prices - we are 2 adults, spend about 150-200 euros for supermarket per mth( more or less)

> health prices - doctor visits (with no insurance) about 50euros.

> eduction prices - havent studied in Greece

> energy prices - My electrity bill during winter,is about 80-90 euros every 2 mths, water is fairly cheap, about 10-15euros.

> common bills - Mobile phone, I am on pay as you go (card)if you check the deals available carefully in order to avoid monthly mob bills you can save a lot!
Landline: I DO NOT USE OTE(major landline co)I am with Vodafone, which has pretty good deals, I have 500 min for Greece and about another 10 countries-incl canada & US) plus 60' min for all mobile local phones for 16-18euros per month. Worth it.

> price of a good menu in a traditional restaurant: Depends, you can spend 20euros for 2 ppl or 50euros, it all depends AREA and TYPE of restaurant.

> price of a beer or a coffee in a regular pub: Coffee..the killer, you can pay from 1.20euros for a take out Frappe to 5euros in some fancy coffee shop! Beer at the corner store is like 1.30euros for a bottle, I have paid upt to 6euros for the same bottle at a Pub/ Bar...

Hi,

So it's possible to live quite well with 1000 euros in Athens?

Thanks for reply

Flo

Of course it is, its not always how much you make, its also how much you spend.

For instance I use public transit, that saves me much, I shop at many discount super markets and try to buy brand store names on things that I really dont see the difference.

My salary is 1200 euros,some people live on much less, 750-900.

Depends where you rent to, rents change drastically between "areas", I am lucky to have found 300 euros rent in Kastella - Piraeus. If you decide on downtown Athens, obviously you will pay more, when u just as easily can rent 4-5 metro stops away for 100-200 euros less.

You have to do plenty of research(and ask around), and you can make it just fine.

Anything you need you can ask me, if I can help I will be glad to:)

Yes Kifissia and all that area is VERY expensive.
Wherever u decide to rent, make sure you are close to public transit, its not even worth driving around here anymore, too much traffic and u end up taking more time.

I live in Piraeus and work a little further than Central Athens( Ano Liosia) now we have the Suburb train (OASA)which is right next to the train station in Piraeus( 5 min bus ride from my place), with the Suburb train( 5 stops, aprox 35 min) i am at work, if I used the train, it would take me about 1 hour. U gotta find the tricks in this City, cos it can be very overwhelming and unfortunately people are not always ready to help.

Hi

Thanks for your help.
Can you have a card or anything else like this for the subway, you know something your can pay monthly...

Flo

Yes ...there are tickets that can be purchased monthly and can be used for all public transport...trains...metro and busses or trams. The tickets can also be purchased at the metro station or train stations.
There is usually a ticket office outside some of the main bus stops that sells them but you need to get a small passport photo that is attatched to it.
The tickets that are purchesed daily can be used for one and a half hours on any public transport also so if your going around for a little while you can do it on the same ticket.

Hope this helps.

kristi.

For those who want to see Acroplis...Sunday is a free day to enter but it closes somewhere around 3...not exactly sure on the time but its a good idea to go earlier in the morning or lunch time....wear a hat if its hot as you have quite a few steps to climb and there is not much shelter.
Anyone can take photos there but no professional pictures are allowed.
Wear your most comfertable shoes and non slippery as the climb is uphill.
You can buy drinks from their kiosk inside at the top or a small snack but no meals are available.

A small hand held flodable fan would be handy for those who dont like the heat...keeps you dry and cool....a small bottle or water in hand and your day will be great.

Can be a good idea to pack a little lunch and you can eat it up the top while watching the view...and if your lucky ...under the shade of a tree.

Have a great day .

Kristi.

Public Transport , Tickets & cards

Ticket: 1 euro for adults,can use all Public Transport for 1 1/2hrs duration

24 hour Ticket: 3 euros

Weekly ticket: 10 euros

To get a card, you DONT need a passport photo,you can use ANY photo you have that shows your face(you can cut it in passport shape so it fits on the card), metro stops/ train terminals etc issue them in 5' min time.  Can be purchased at from the end to the first week of each month in Train, Metro,Subway Train stations or ticket booths outside one of the above.

ALL TRANSPORTS:
Monthly card for adults: 35 euros or 350 euros per year
(including: All buses & trolley's except Airport Buses, Metro, Train & Suburb Train)

BUSES, TROLLEY'S & TRAM ONLY:
Montlhy card for adults:15 euros per month or 150 euros per year

Depending on where you will live and where you will have to go on a daily basis you will then be able to workout which card if any you will need.

Hi girls

Thanks so much for your help

Nice

See you

This thread has been really helpful to me.

I'm (hopefully) relocating to Athens from the UK, and will be on a fairly low wage to begin with. Accommodation will be provided for me, which is half the battle, but I was very interested to learn how much food etc, would be.

Originally from Australia, I'm in London right now, and have gotten so used to paying through the nose for everything (even discounted things!) that I've been half expecting the same thing all around Europe. Athens doesn't sound half as bad! Massive relief. Thanks to all who've posted!

:)

Hi

I'm not sure what the cost of living is in UK, but I think were one of the most expensive countries in Europe(Greece).
I always compare price by habit with how much they used to cost in Canada, some things are ridiculously overpriced..!
Even supermarket shopping- for food.
I'm not sure how much your montly salary will be, but the fact that you wont have rent- at least not at the beginning is really helpful.(means about 300-400usd in your pocket and if you have no utilities either add another 60-100)

Meat is expensive: Ground Beef/Beef: 7-8Euros/KG
Pork is cheaper: 5-7euros a kilo
The trick with meats is where theyre from, Greek are always more expensive, Germany/France are the usual imported meats and are cheaper and as |I have tried all varieties, theyre just as good!
For pasta and rice, prices can vary a lot, brand names for pasta range from 0.90-1.00euros for 500gr, store brand 0.40 - 55euros.
Rice: store brand about 1euro - brand names: 1.50 and up.
Milk, once again we have the brands and non-brands(usually imported from Germany- JUST as good if u ask me!)
Brand names: 1.30 euros to 1.60euros for 1 LT, non-brand/imported: 0.90 to 1.00euros for 1LT
Coca cola: 1.50 for 1.5LT, 0.50euros for non brand
For fruits & vegetables, the cheapest is to go to the weekly "LAIKI" which is one specified day of the week depending on your neighborhood, takes place in the street and all farmers have tables with their fruits and veggies, you pick your own and its MUCH cheaper than buying at the supermarket, its usually mornings till noon so for some(like me) who work its tough to go to, then again depending on where you will, Athens or Piraeus there is the AGORA, which is similar to the above but on a daily basis, Thu-Fri and i think Tuesdays until late, you will find fruits/veggies , butcher stands, in Athens its near Omonoia metro station(about 100meters walking distance) this AGORA is called VARVAKIO AGORA, in Piraeus its 50M walk from Piraeus Train station,cannot miss it.

For beauty products etc, the two main monopolies are HONDOS CENTER(biggest chain) and BEAUTY SHOP- SEPHORA, they have makeup, soaps, etc etc, HONDOS CENTERS are located everywhere,makeup IS VERY expensive with what I used to pay, one L'Oreal mascara for instance is like 20 euros! U may wanna stock up on Mascara's, creams,and general makeup before you come. For shampoos, bubble baths etc, best buy is at supermarket, for same products much cheaper.

Going back to supermarkets, we have many chains, local and foreign ones(cheaper)

Veropoulos:Greek
Vasilopoulos: Greek
LIDL: German and considered discounted market(worth it on many products, meats etc
DIA: Spanish or smt like that, discount market once again not so bad
Foreign meats are also found at Greek origin markets, you just have to read the sticker on the prepacked meats or signs at butcher.

Heres some sites from Supermarkets you may wanna browse to get an idea on prices:
Vasilopoulos: http://www.ab.gr/2_products/index.php (click on flyer icon on the right)

Veropoulos: http://www.veropoulos.gr/eshop/ (click where it says download PDF format for this weeks flyer)

LIDL: http://www.lidl.gr/gr/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090705.index
DIA: http://www.diahellas.gr/%CE%A0%CF%81%CE … fault.aspx

I hope you meant Supermarket,lol, for taverns and fast food etc some prices can be very steep.
A coffe can be upt to 6euros if you're in a tourist area( Monastiraki, Plaka etc) average price is 3-4euros to sit and drink a coffee, if you take it to go from typical Greek coffee places 2-3euros.
same goes for Taverns in touristic areas, my answer- avoid, they will literally pull you by the arm to sit down!! haha

Anymore questions feel free, having grown up in Canada were life was cheap, salaries were high, people were civilized my research since ive been back to the homeland on these subjects has been quite intensive!

What area will you be moving to? Athens?/Piraeus? which neighborhood?

:):):):):)
Kathy

Oops, forgot another ladies necessities, beauty creams etc!
Most big brand names are ONLy available at Pharmacies(strange I know) say, Roc, Lancome, Vichy, Biotherm etc
Hondos Centers carry: Nivea, L'oreal,thos types.
THEY ARE VERY EXPENSIVE- If you use them, again i suggest stock up.
My opinion is also that hairdressers are a steal, though we cant avoid being women, a haircut and blow dry can go near 50euros.
They also automatically add: conditionning cream, "service"( i DONT know what that means till this day?Am i paying the char i sit on??) cream: 3-4 euros, service add another 2, depending where you go always, thats added on the "bill" and they wont "quote" you or add it in the cost of your cut if you ask -how much is a cut?
They can take up to 15 euros to "straighten-dry" your hair,its tricky,so you just ask to "DRY" it,to avoid this cost.Been had to many times so I thought I'd advise! :P

Anyways like I said, if you know exactly where you're going to move and wanna let me know, I can help lots more, having lived in both Athens and Piraeus some things Ive searched enough!

Hope most is covered!

Hi Kathy!

Thanks so much for all that info! I actually lived in Toronto for a period of time while I was studying so I know exactly what you mean about wages and cost of living over there. I was downtown near Yonge Gerrard and went to Ryerson University there....anyway, back onto the topic of moving to Athens; I don't know at this stage where I will be. I will be working with one of the schools and am going through recruitment processes at the moment (wish me luck!) Where as I have been on all the teaching blogs for ESL teachers, nothing on there talks in depth about costs. I know that I will be covered for housing (as I said) bills I will be making a contribution towards, but other than that, my money if my own, so to speak!

I did in fact, mean supermarkets etc. I am a vegetarian, so the cost of meat is not an issue, I also know a lot of people in beauty/hairdressing, so all that sort of thing isn't in my scope either (I'm starting to realise how lucky I am).

I know I will be in Athens somewhere. I do have a couple of friends in Athens who live in the Northern suburbs, but it'd be nice to expand my friendship group. I also want to (attempt!) to learn Greek, which would involve another alphabet etc,  but I am not too phased. I'm generally pretty flexible with learning, so fingers crossed!

Once I have some more details, I will let you know where I'm going to be situated:)

Thanks for the reply!

Sarah

Ηi Sarah,

I was living in Montreal!
Ok since you're a veggie I think you will be just fine as far as food is concerned, especially if you buy from the street Market( LAIKI or Agora's)since you got all your beauty connections then your OK :P

As far as the ESL teachers, I dont know what you meant by cost, do u mean how much you will be paid?How much an ESL teacher gets paid in Greece?

Also theres many FREE schools for Immigrants to learn Greek, I think if you're interested enough it may be worth it, usually on Sundays. Let me know & I'll find all contacts to post.

Buona sera Kathy!

Oh Montreal! Nice! I visited there a few times when I was in Toronto. Took a few road trips up that way :)

I'm lucky with the connections I have in the beauty department ;) But I remember living in Canada and how much cheaper cosmetics were there, even the high end face creams etc! London is on par with Athens from the prices I have seen (and paid!) here.

With the cost in regards to ESL teaching, I meant I will pay some of the monthly or quarterly bills where I will be living. I'm not paying accommodation, but I do make a contribution. Which I don't really mind. :) As a start, I won't be on a huge wage as an ESL teacher, but that's OK. I can supplement by nannying in the mornings and tutoring too.

Thanks for the information on the Greek lessons! That's great that I can learn for free! I'm definitely interested. I'm quite good with languages and picked up Italian with no formal training, enough to read the headlines in an Italian newspaper with a bit of help, so, I'm hoping I'll be OK after some time if I persevere with Greek. :)

Hey:P

Yes Greek is more difficult cos its a different alphabet altogether unlike all other Latin based languages.

Until you arrive if u have spare time you can check these links I found, for online learning, I dont know how helpful they will be but I suppose the basics will be covered:

http://www.kypros.org/LearnGreek/http://www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/greek.php

You can check these links too for Greek teaching(free) schools here for immigrants:

http://www.50plus.gr/article/30http://livingingreece.gr/2007/05/13/fre … e-lessons/:P:P:P

Hola! Thanks for the links! I'll look at them today at work (when I can get away with it ;) )

God I wish I were there in that heat right now! There's something wrong with calling it "summer" when we're only getting 20C!:cool:

heat is good, but being at the office 8hrs a day screws it all up, if i was on the beach OK but this is as depressing cos I have to see "it" through the window haha:P

I know what you mean :) it's the same in Australia! Not so bad here. Crappy indoors, crappy out. Same same :P haha

Just wanted to say thanks for all the info on this topic. Although we (my wife and I) are planning to come no earlier than 2011, it's good to get a feel for things early on.

Our biggest decision is where to go. We're utter novices with Greece, definitely need reliable Internet (I'm self-employed) but would like to live as far out of the city centers as possible.

I guess though that rent agreements tie you down for a couple of years -- right?

HI
I would like to know what the typical costs for the following are in CRETE, please

1) Electricity (annual) if I do not use the air-conditioning.

2) CAR MOT

3) Bank account charges for an ordinary savings account with cash withdrawal facilities but NO overdraft facility

4) Cats injections (annual boost & anti-rabies)

Cheers Dave S

Second Dave's questions (excepting cats, we have budgies, which is another matter entirely :))!

And here's another one: typical Internet costs?

In fact, I should maybe start another thread, since I'd really like to know what Internet access is generally like in Greece.

Cheers,

P.

Hi to everybody.
I'm new in the forum and i live in Thessaloniki, second city after Athens.
Unfortunately for us Greeks, last 4-5 years Greece became one of the most expensive countries in Europe!
I can hardly believe that you can have a normal nice life in Athens for 1000 euros/month! Only if you're a couple and you're sharing a small studio or apartment of 35-40m2, food, house stuff etc.

For Thessaloniki:
> accommodation prices:
300-350 euros for a small apartmenet of 33-40m2: 1 bedroom, 1 living room with kitchen and 1 bathroom.
http://www.homegreekhome.com/index.php?lang=enhttp://www.tospitimou.gr/en/index.jsp?mainAreaId=1

> public transportation fares:
We don't have metro (yet). Only bus = 0,50e/ticket
http://www.oasth.gr/service/tickets_eng.php
Thessaloniki is very difficult city for cars and transportation so i have a 600cc motorbike.
Costs me around 60-70 euros/month for gas/benzine.

> food prices:
Fast-food: gyros, souvlaki, tzatziki, chips, coke etc = 10euros/day/person. That's one "heavy" meal.
For morning you can have traditional pies (cheese, spinach, chicken, our 'mpougatsa' with chocomilk) = max.5 euros/day.
So, if you don't eat at all at home, fastfood will cost you around 15 euros/day/person.
Traditional tavernas: minimum = 20 euros, average = 25-30 euros/person.

Food at home: from supermarkets + other necessary home stuff = 200 euros/month.

> health prices:
(no insurance) A visit in a private doctor: minimum = 50 euros and afterwards you have to pay the drugs.
http://www.e-database.gr/Medicines_Prices/By_Name/10

> education prices:
Universities and colleges belong to the State and they are free for Greeks and Cypriots.
There are plenty of private universities and colleges (lessons are in a foreign language) but the annual cost is extremely high.

Best place to learn Greek in Thessaloniki is:
http://smg.web.auth.gr/index.php?option … &Itemid=34

> energy prices:
If you have an apartment, you have to pay "upkeep" for heating, use of elevator, common lights, cleaning etc.
That costs from 30 to 150 euros/month, depends of the size of the building, the number of apartments, the square meters you have, the floor you are, the month of the year etc.

Electricity is minimum 40-50 euros/month (in summer and if you live alone), average 70-80 euros/month.
Water is very cheap = 10-15euros/month.

> common bills:
TV: Greek TV channels are free via antenna or digital ERT.
Sat-TV: NOVA = 58,50 euros/month
http://www.nova.gr/eng/part19.asp
Cable-TV: Conn-xTV = 15 euros/month
http://www.conn-xtv.gr/PriceList.aspx

Internet: ADSL and ADSL2+ are based on the phone line.
There are many providers for phone+internet.
Best and most expensive is OTE.
HOL is a good private provider.
You can have phone+internet from 25 euros/month, depends of the packet you'll choose. The most common provider is OTE, so you can have cable-tv if you like.

For OTE:
Phone line: PSTN = 15 euros/month
http://oteshop.ote.gr/storefront/en/for … ction.html
ISDN = 19 euros/month
http://oteshop.ote.gr/storefront/en/for … undle.html

Internet: From 16,50 euros to 28 euros/month
http://oteshop.ote.gr/storefront/en/for … offer.html

YOU CAN'T HAVE INTERNET WITHOUT A PHONE LINE!
So, you have to add the prices and these prices are only the standard monthly fees, without the phones you'll make.
Plus the monthly fee for conn-xTV if you want cable-TV.

Mobile: DON'T make an annual contract.
"Pay as you go" with WIND F2G2 = 0,10euros/minute, 0,04euros/sms + other extra benefits
http://www.wind.com.gr/ConDows/00002000 … _eng_b.jpghttp://www.wind.com.gr/pages.fds?langID=2&pageid=1399

> price of a good menu in a traditional restaurant:
25-30 euros with a lot of Greek drinks (retsina, ouzo etc).

> price of a beer or a coffee in a regular pub:
Coffee = 3-5 euros.
Beer = 5 euros.
"Heavy" drinks = 7-8 euros.
Clubbing = 10 euros/drink!!

Best part of Greek life is this high intense nightlife and way of living, so if you want to have a normal life in Greece, you must have 2-3 coffees/week and 4-6 drinks/weekend = 10 coffees/month + 20 drinks = 100-200 euros/month.

Other expenses:
Ciggies = average 3 euros/packet.
DVD rent = 1,5-2 euros/day
Cinema = 8,5 euros/ticket
Greece is cheap in electric stuff and PC hardware.

@davestarr2:
1) Electricity is everywhere the same.
2) Hertz:
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/byr/inde … ocType=pUp
3) Depends of the bank. Mine account is this one:
http://www.alpha.gr/page/default.asp?la=2&id=320
4) Don't have a clue!

@Phlebas:
See above:
OTE = 15 euros(phone line PSTN) + 16,5 euros (2Mbps dl) = 31,5 euros/month without making any phone call.
Try to avoid private providers. They have many problems and the cc is awful.
But i can see that you're talking about 2011!!
Till then, the prices will change many times for sure.
Technology will be much more cheaper but cost of living in Greece will be much more expensive i believe!

Hope i've helped you guys & lads...

Sokrates,

Σασ ευχαριστώ πολί!

The property links in particular are really, really useful!

You might be interested to know that pretty much all of the prices you quote are cheaper than Germany, where I am now living!

All I need do now is find an accountant in Greece, so I can check self-employment regulations .. which look a little more difficult than Germany...

Hi Phlebas,
Germany is a big country and cost of living depends of where you live.
Cost of living in Berlin for example is less than living in Athens or Thessaloniki.
Also, cost of living depends of your way of living and Greeks used to have a "happy-go-lucky" life till few years ago. (spending spree, daily nightlife etc)
Anyway, self-employment regulations are not complicated:
You have to go to "OAEE" (ex TEBE), the Organization for Self-Employees and fill some papers.
You have to choose your profession, (in Greece we say: "you are whatever you declare!" so you can choose whatever you like!), fill some papers, pay some registration fees and you take a receipt book to make out ministrations/invoices.
First thing you have to pay OAEE for you insurance:
http://www.oaee.icop-11.net.gr/eisfores … nner_pgc=5
(every 2-3 years you're changing level)
Then the thing's going like this:
You cut a receipt for 850 euros for example.
19% is VAT and you have to pay it immediately.
19% = 161,5 euros, so you have 850-161,5 = 688,5 euros.
Then you have to pay "parakratisi"=tax deduction.
Deduction is 20% but you'll take it back at the end of the year.
So, 688,5*0,2=140 euros. 688,5-140 = 548,5 euros at your pocket.
And ofcourse the monthly OAEE fees: 548,5-195,5(first 2 years) = 353 euros/month NET!!
At the end of the year, if your total receipts are less than 10.000 or 11.000 euros (i don't remember exactly the amount), you'll take back the "deduction", which is 12*140 = 1680 euros.
Summary:
You cut every month receipts for 850 euros = 10.200/annual? Your NET "salary" will be 353*12+1680 = 5916 euros!!
You lose 60% of your income!!
So, nobody's cutting receipts! Most of the self-employees are working with "black money". ;)

Hello Sokrates,

Wow, that's another incredibly informative post. Thanks for the link. My Greek is only basic at the moment, but having the categories from OAEE is a v. useful reference!

The figures you cite are comparable to what I pay at the moment in Germany. Although the OAEE fee is actually better -- German health insurance is very expensive if you are self-employed... Do you know how the changing levels works? If I start at 1, when will I get to, say, Category 7, for example? Is it based on earnings at all?

If you don't mind answering some more questions I would be eternally grateful. We may even move to Thessaloniki, since my wife has contacts there :=)

Anyway, my main question, though, is related to being self-employed and renting a house/flat. Is it possible to do this? I have heard that you cannot do this, as you must own the property if you run a business in it.

I think this sounds odd, but cannot verify it anywhere.

While I don't mind renting a little office if I have to, I certainly don't want to buy a house just to be a self-employed translator!! *G.

Thank you so much and sorry for all the questions! It's difficult finding people that really know their stuff :=)

OAEE levels are changing every 2-3 years.
First 2-3 levels every 2 years, then for middle 2-3 levels every 3 years and at the end i think every 5 years.
Earnings have to do with the tax at the end of the year.
If your annual income is less than 10.000-11.000 euros, you'll get back your whole "deduction".
If your annual income is more than 10-11, then you pay extra tax of 15%-30%-40%, depends of your earnings.

Say for example that you cut receipts of 2000 euros/month.
2000 - 19% VAT = 1620 euros - 20% deduction = 1296 euros - 196e insurance(OAEE) = 1100 euros/month NET at your pocket.
At the end of the year, your annual income is 1620*12 = 19440 euros.
Till 10000-11000 euros is FREE/ZERO, so you have to pay tax for 19440-10000(maybe 11000) = 9440 euros(or 8440).
I think the tax for 19440's level is 30%, so you have to pay 30% of 9440 = 2832.
OK, but you gave already 324 euros/month for "deduction" = 3888 euros/annual, so you'll get back 3888-2832 = 1056 euros.
Summary:
If you cut receipts of 2000 euros every month, your NET annual 'salary' will be:
1100*12+1056 = 14256 euros = 1188 euros/month = you can live in Thessaloniki and maybe in Athens too, depends of what kind of consumer you are.

As a self-employee, you can have/give home address as business address too.
They don't care. Only if you like for marketing/commercial/advertisement reasons to open an office/shop.
You don't have to buy a house to run your business.
Rent a house and give the same address as 'headquarters'.
Only if you want to establish a  big company you must have different physical address.
Greek laws are very loose/soft. Don't bother with them.
That's why we're No1 in EU on cheating State (and State is stealing us too!) and corruption! :P

Buying a house in Greece is a very good investment.
Real estate is going down because of the crisis and you can find new houses even for 1100-1200 euros/m2. (outside of Thessaloniki, forget Athens)
A nice apartment for a married couple is around 65m2. That means 75000-85000 euros.
Take a loan and you'll pay 400 euros/month, a bit less than rent, and the property will remain to you for your great grandsons too!!
But if you travel a lot and like to expatriate often, stay at rent.

Cheers...

Sokrates,

Many, many thanks for your excellent advice! Truly appreciated!  The OAEE and business info is worth its weight in gold. It'll be a long time before I will be able to read the OAEE site and understand it in Greek *G.

And if it all works out (i.e. after six months or so), we'll certainly be thinking of settling in Greece, so we would only be renting for a few years at most.

Although the prices will probably have gone up again by then :=)

Cheers mate -- I owe you one. I'll let you know if we're coming to Greece this winter (which we probably are) and I'll return the favour :=)

thanks all

This is what we pay in Thessaloniki, the 2nd biggest city in Greece (1.500.000 inhabitants):

400 Euros for a 30 sq m studio including the electricity, gas etc. I don't have an aircondition but the studio has a nice view of the city's skyline (7th floor).

0,25 Euros student fee on the bus no matter where you travel in the city (it could be anything from 5 - 90 minutes of
journey depending on the traffic which is a major problem of the city)

0,50 Euros for the normal bus fee. The bus fees may seem normal or cheap but the quality is quite low (overcrowed buses which do not pass on scheduled times - sometimes you have to wait at a bus stop over 25 minutes!)

30 Euros for a 2 persons dinner at a traditional tavern with wine and usually the food is delicious!

50 Euros for a 2 persons dinner at a fancy restaurant with wine and gourmet dishes!

(I think eating outside comes at normal prices, bearing in mind that the quality of food is very high in comparison to other places in Europe.)

3-5 Euros for a cup of coffee!!!(6 Euros at a fancy cafeteria)
3-5 Euros for a glass of beer!!!(6-7 Euros at a fancy pub)

(Quite expensive in my opinion, but you can stay at the coffe house as long as you wish without having to order something more)

Cigarettes: Davidoff White (20 cigars): 3, 40 Euros (it used to cost 3,20 Euros some months ago)

Supermarket & grocery shopping (no alcohol included):
400-500 Euros for 2 persons per month. (I don't exhagerate and I don't eat a lot!!!)

I hope I have been helpful enough!

Once again, the cost to live in Athens/Attiki = "its not always how much you make, its also how much you spend":cool:

Yes I live with 1200 euros a month, and I do live very comfortably;)You really need to do your research and have patience, most people here want things done & ready ASAP, so they don't wanna be bothered, which results to spending cash you really didn't have to.It may be quite confusing at the beginning especially for a foreigner,once you get through that though you will see it is really worth your while, and pocket!

Lots of people live with much less,basic monthly salary is under 800euros!My last job was paying me 800euros!

It all depends of the area you decide to live within Athens/Attiki and how you manage your money!

INTERNET
For internet, there are LOTS of providers, OTE is like BELL worldwide, which used to be a monopoly, (residence line and internet) now we have many options for both services:

Ontelecoms:(ISP/Landline & cable services) http://www.ontelecoms.com/on/changeLang … n.jsp?null
-Internet & Landline current plan: Monthly Fee 32euros,Free calls throughout Greece, Free international calls(pls check countries included)0.17euros per minute towards mobile carriers

Vodafone: (ISP & landline-very cheap landline with overseas packages as well)http://www.vodafone.gr/portal/client/cm … _locale=en
FYR Telephony: Vodafone at Home 500 Greece
500 minutes per month for national calls towards fixed (local and long distance calls)for 6 euros first 6 months, then 12.50 per month(theres more plans available on site)

Forthnet: (ISP & Landline-also cable)http://www.forthnet.gr/templates/portal … c=10002035
FYR Forthnet 2play : Internet & telephony(Unlimited international & 60min towards mobiles) for  39,90€    

Hellas on Line(HOL.GR): (ISP, TV & Landline)http://www.hol.gr/default.asp
FYR: Internet * Telephony -(200 min withing Greece, 20min towards mobile carriers & 20min overseas) for 23,90euros
or similar plan to Forthnet at same cost.

There are a few other less popular ISP Providers as well, above are the most popular.

MOBILE PHONES

You have many options, contract, pay as you go, pay as you go and contract combinations.

Pay as you go may sound more economical, but you must read the small print on most cases, major Mobile service providers are, Cosmote,Vodafone and Wind.Then we have: Frog,Q-telecoms(best rates for pay as you overseas calls), and few others.

The major providers above give you 2 options when purchasing your sim card:

Cosmote:
-Regular Cosmote card- can be used as pay as you go or for contract
- Cosmote "What's Up" card, this give you special "plans" with all users who have the same card as you( ex:600 min and 600 sms towards all "What's Up" card users

Calls towards all other service providers are based per sec and rates vary. KEEP in mind all incoming calls are FREE with all, as opposed to US and Canada and perhaps some other countries.

Vodafone and Wind have similar plans, Vodafone Cu and Wind Free2Go.

Keep in mind that contracts are NOT so bad if you really just need to have a standard amount of airtime. Montly plans start at about 16-20 euros per month.
Vodafone: Vodafone Plans
Cosmote: Cosmote Plans
Wind:Wind Plans

Your best bet is to to buy a sim card of your choice and go along, if you have lots of friends in Greece u may wanna check whether they have a contract or are on pay as you go, if they're on pay as you go, try checking with which provider most of them are on and go with that for beginners, you can always chuck the sim card and get a new one with another provider once you discover your needs, or you can have several cards(very common here)but will end up carrying extra mobile phones!:P

It just goes to show that if you get away from the main towns and into rural Greece and away from the general tourist areas, you can save a fortune in things like accomodation costs.  I currently rent a maisonette in the hills above Arta in a small village.  We have two good sized bedrooms a large Lounge with a seperate kitchen which is big enough for a dining table.  Also a bathroom with a bath! all this for the grand sum of 150Euro per month!  Other bills are pretty much as descibed in other posts within this thread. 

There are disadvantages to this as we don't have broadband and we are currently using a Cosmote usb dongle which is little better than dialup (running at 1.3G none of your 3G+ here!) in this area but does have the advantage of being mobile.

The big advantage of being in this location is you have to come to grips with the language, we came here about a month ago with only a little tourist Greek and have increased our vocabulary by %300 already. Sandra can now say 12 words :D. Also we can get UK television with a 1 meter dish well except for BBC1 & 2.

I would urge any Expats who have not visted Epirus to make the effort if they are near enough as although it's a very poor region in economic terms it's vastly rich in it natural beauty.

Les & Sandra

hey i'm planning to study in Greece as international student.
So can you guys tell me about basic expenses.

- i'm planning to stay in hostel. what would be the rent per month? What all facilities would be provided to me inclusive of that rent.

- food expense per month with occasionally eating out.
  And expense for the same without eating out.

- Travelling expense - Metro, bus, taxi, trams.

and any other expenses which i ahould consider while coming to Greece.

Thanks

Ahmed,

for transport expenses if you scroll up this post you will see them, there is also plenty of posts above regarding eating out etc, but u have to consider that it all depends where and what you eat!

You can have 2 souvlakis and a coke for like 5euros, or you can go to a tavern and spend about 10-15 euros, and it does depend WHERE/area, like every country.

For eating in, I posted as well above as well as other members, I think if you're not heavy on eating meat dishes daily you can easily get away with under 40euros-50euros per week.

[
Supermarket & grocery shopping (no alcohol included):
400-500 Euros for 2 persons per month. (I don't exhagerate and I don't eat a lot!!!)
I mean these is a lottttttttttttttt,we also live in Thessaloniki and we are familly of 3 and we spend at about 70e for week with the daiper for the 2,5y.o boy (the cost at about 9e) and l cook at home every second day!!!!!