16 and going to korea by myself, advice?

Hello everyone!
I'm Meg and this august ill be going to Korea on exchange for 5 months. i will stay with a korean host family (Mum, dad and two older brothers) and go to a korean school. ill be living in dongdaemun-gu and attending an all girl school.
so i have two questions for anyone thats similar with the area and surrounding areas.
1. Do girls at all girl schools actually have male friends through clubs or activities outside of school? I'm really worried about this because i want to make friends with both genders and originally i wanted to go to a coed school. So, is it common for korean girls at all girls schools to have guy friends?
2. How can i get from dongdaemun to hongdae?
3. is it safe to go shopping at night by myself in hongdae? (i will be 16 when i go to korea so my korean age will be 17.)
4. Do you recommend any clubs or youth groups where i can meet korean friends?

Hello Meg03,

If you want to know more of the country you will be visiting, you can check out our different articles in our Living in South Korea Guide.

Also i invite you checking out the multiple other threads here on the forum so you can make yourself an idea of SK

Regards

Kenjee

Stop worrying. You'll be fine.

Yea, you'll be fine. It's certainly "safe" to be in Hongdae alone at night, but you may find the lure of local guys and chic clubs will be enough to get you in trouble with your host family for staying out late. You will likely be treated as a total adult our here, as your age will be difficult to determine. So just try to bear that in mind, and enjoy your stay!

Thank you for the advice!