Teaching during Ramadan?

I've been hunting around for information on this, but it is still unclear. Are there classes during Ramadan? Also, I keep reading that classes are poorly attended during the summer months, and often classes are cancelled - what does that mean for the teacher? Are you paid anyway, or are you held on some sort of unpaid holiday?
I'm asking because I received my visa, but have not heard yet from my employer when I will be coming. If they want me to come within the next few weeks, what will happen when Ramadan starts? Is it more likely they will bring me out after Ramadan ends?
Any thoughts?

yes, there are classes during part of ramadan (summer term).  go to the website of kfupm or psu and look at their academic calendar to find the exact dates.  of course you are paid as long as it is term time, regardless of attendance percentage.  there are set exam dates which you can also find on the calendars.

you will probably be brought in for the new academic year towards the end of august, assuming it is a work visa.  if it is a business visa (and it is illegal to work on a business visa, but companies flout this rule), they could bring you in very quickly, but i doubt it as the summer term has already started.

go to www.eslcafe.com and post there in the international forums (saudi section) maybe you can find others who are in the same boat with the same company/university.

Thumbs up Trapezius, I just want to add that working hours are reduced during Ramadan to a maximum of 6 hours, that way you will have more time to worship god *cough* watch movies *cough* also one should note that there is strictly no food allowed (all restaurants are closed) when the sun is in the sky

That's absolutely perfect information, Trapezius - thank you!  :top: