Car Insurance requirements

I know I can probably google this but I'd like to work smarter not harder...

I know all countries have different insurance requirements.  Heck, here in the US each state has its own requirements, i.e...  X for a car with a lien on it, X+ for full coverage, X- if you own it out-right, X+++++ if you're insuring a teen male driver, etc...  With me being the only driver in Saudi, and wanting coverage to protect against uninsured or under-insured drivers, can anyone give me any estimate on what I might expect to pay annually in premiums?

If it helps, I'll be looking for coverage on a large-ish 4 door, possible 4x4 SUV.

Thanks,

Rigger

Howdy partner!

Comprehensive motor insurance rates with www.tawuniya.com, the biggest insurance company here, is as follows:

4% of the declared value of the vehicle if you want to get it fixed at authorized dealerships for the make of your car
3% of the declared value of the vehicle if you want to get it fixed at non-dealership workshops

OK, I lied.  Those used to be rates, they have gone up recently.  I won't know the exact rates until the renewal of my insurance in November.  But from what I have been told, the rates have gone up by about 50%.  So you are looking at around 5-6% of the value of your car, as the annual premium.

For the type of car you are looking at, that would come to anywhere between 5k and 10k riyals annually.  I am assuming you will get a used suv ranging in price approximately from 100k to 200k.

This is the policy I am talking about:

http://www.tawuniya.com.sa/en/Home/Indi … fault.aspx

Click on leaflet at the bottom for, well, a leaflet on the policy, and on policy wording for the full policy in legalese... scroll halfway down for English.

(moderated: no free ad on the forum pls)

Jeejo,
Please excuse my ignorance on most things GCC related - but if you're not in Oman...?

R

(moderated: no free ad on the forum pls + register in the business directory)