Moving to KL next month

Hello expat-blog friends!  My husband and I are so excited to be moving to KL next month from Denver, CO (USA).  My husband grew up abroad (UAE, Kuwait, Cairo), but this is my first move to another country.  I hear one of the most important things you can do to adjust is to find some friends, so I am curious about who is out there on this site.  Where are you from?  What are your interests?  Where do you hang out?  What do you do for fun?  It would be great to find some fast friends. 

Thanks,

Lisa

hi everybody,seeking job.

We are not in need of a housemaid, thank you for asking.

[Moderated: Off topic]

Hi Lisa,

I wish i could say im around but im travelling end of this month and might be back in malaysia in 3-6months hopefully we can be friends.

kuala lumpur is a wonderful place, the people, culture, sights, taste and sounds :) there's lots to do and places to go. but one of the most important thing is to learn some malay if you really want to enjoy life and feel comfortable :) welcome to malaysia !

Hi Lisa,

Firstly, welcome to Malaysia! It's a new change, I'm sure, but kudos for making the decision to step out of your comfort zone - I know it can be difficult!

I'm a Malaysian, born and bred so here are some insights that I hope will help.

KL is like most metropolitans, it's a burst of colour, activities, people and most importantly, the food. I'm not sure where you'd be living, but almost everything is reachable by car, or, if by train/ monorail.

Culture - I'm sure you've done some research, so I won't bore you with unnecessary information. I'm sure you know that we're multicultural. Some things you might need to watch out for is travelling on Fridays. Most companies offer a 2-hour lunch for their staff for the Friday Muslim prayers, so it's best not be on the road from about 12.00noon - 2.00pm on Fridays - unless you want to spend your precious hours in traffic. Other than that, the people are very hospitable - if you get lost, don't hesitate to ask for directions. We are mainly 3 races - Malays, Chinese and Indians, so you'd be able to see mosques, temples and churches all around. We do not wear shoes in the house, it is considered impolite.

Weather - Your husband is from Dubai, and I assume that you've been to Dubai. The weather in KL can get as hot as in Dubai, with high humidity levels - so you sweat a lot! When it rains, it pours at times, so do carry an umbrella/ raincoat during the rainy season. Most houses have air-conditioning units.

Hang-outs - There are lots to do in KL. Comedy nights at clubs, a game of badminton at the court, swimming at the country club, joining a dance class at a studio, going out to the movies, watching a play, and of course, eating. You may want to check out timeout.com/kuala-lumpur for ideas. If you live away from eateries, delivery is an option, try foodpanda.com. Or you could try the local restaurants (we call them 'mamak') for a variety of mouth-watering choices. You must try the nasi lemak, roti canai and nasi kandar. How to know the best shop to go to? Well, Malaysians are avid bloggers, so you can check out online reviews, OR, go to the restaurant that is the busiest :) Lots of luxury eateries in KL as well. Try Taipan, or the Bukit Bintang area. Every Saturday, my friends and I play badminton in Wangsa Maju, so feel free to join us for a good (much needed) sweaty workout!

How to find friends - Ok, I find the easiest way to network in KL is to join a club/ hobby group. You will find many on Meetup.com. You could attend a Toastmasters' meeting, a book club or a hiking group.

Be secure - As in many countries, just be careful of your belongings at all times. Here, it's not wise to leave your handbag or handphone around. Get a good alarm system for your house, but if you have dogs (like me!), then you're ok. I don't wear much jewellery on me, just to be safe (why attract unnecessary attention?), but that's just me. Lock your house/ car doors.

Well, keep in touch and let me know how you're fitting in. I am quite certain you will find Malaysia a good home.
Good luck!

Sharm

Hi Edith, sorry to butt in but I believe it's not advisable to leave our phone numbers out here in public.

best regards,

manpin

Wow, thanks for all of the information!  We will be living close to the KLCC and we are both so excited to get out and explore.  Badminton in Wangsa Maju sounds fun, we'll have to come and play a round.  We are busy packing and making arrangements here in Denver, but will be there in a few short weeks. 

Thanks again for all of the tips! They are going to come in handy.

See you soon!!!!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I live in Michigan. I have traveled to KL twice in the last two years. There is an English lady, code named GRAVITAS, who lives near city center and extremely helpful. Perhaps you may send her a PM. She is just a wealth of knowledge and would give you the right kind of advise. My wife and I have met her last December. Wait till she sends a response or just send her a message.
KL is a nice city but only  to some extent. There are some areas you do not want to venture just like some areas in many US cities. KL has some very classic structures. Public transport is fairly reasonable. Malaysia as a whole is a food paradise however, depending on your taste, you can find food from various region of the world. The good thing of Malaysia are the people and many places to see. I loved Langkawi and Penang; but there are many other nice places.
Also, there is a gentleman from Denver, lives in Malaysia. He is an editor of an Expat Magazine. His name is Chad Merchant.
Good luck and enjoy your stay in KL.

[Moderated: no free ad on the forum pls]

I have been in KL for three months.  There are expat groups such as the American Expat group that you can join to meet people and make friends.  If you move into an apartment building that is also a great place to make quick friends. There is also a site called internations.org that has get events which are great for networking and meeting people.  Google has lots of good information and lists the expat groups that are available.  Also is your husband uses a relocation company they can give you lots of good information.  Depending on where your husband works living near KL City Center is very convenient as traffic is very bad during work hours in morning and evening.  Good luck with your move.  KL is a very interesting place but quite different from living in the US.