New issue on Debit/Credit cards, my Bank now says NO to DR,fraud issue

All, there was a topic I started before my May 1st arrival, and I know I could have replied to the older posts there however; I wanted to start a new subject line and newer topic due to the alarming news I received from my bank just today especially for newcomers .... Summary, great advice several months ago, no to Paypal transfers but they do have a master card which I was advised could be used here.... Others advised Bank of America, but I had just recently transferred to Chase... Long story short.. Had to bring a lot of cash with me for fees, pre-registered my Chase debit Card to be in "PC area of the DR til 10/31"  at the branch in USA...Planned to do so with Paypal (unrelated story there with how I thought it worked).

I used my Chase Credit card day one to purchase groceries and it went right through (this was at SuperPola...I got lucky with the local manager for my unit (in one respect!) as he exchanges $$ for his "clients" with absolutely no fees so other than store on day one, have not needed to use debit checking card, although I did have a secondary credit card approved for use and worked fine at Hard Rock Cafe.....

I present the following as just a warning and I wonder if I am being mis-informed by Chase Bank as they insist that our government put out a warning since I arrived??  Just this past Friday, I went to San Juan shopping center and took out cash first 20K RD or $460 ish  US... to last for month... purchased  couple items with RD$, then one store purchased with Debit card which apparently went through....Got through the line at the SuperPola where not many employees speak English and after giving my debit card again, I assumed she was telling me they were out of register tape when I asked for my receipt.. Thankfully, Yves (owners rep) arrived to pick me up and still not understanding, he asked if perhaps I spent over my limit and I started taking my bags (good thing he was there to pick me up or I might have been arrested!!! He had to explain that my card was rejected.  Assuming that I overspent, (told I had no limit), I handed her a Chase credit card that went right through.

Got home to find emails telling me Fraud alert on all the charges I made that day and after hour on phone, he promised all cleared up.  Tried to pay the CPS courier service via my Debit card today and rejected yet again?

Immediately called again...finally, gentleman says, after I explained did everything right,  that this area (he did not say simply PUnta cana but the Dominican Republic is on a State Department and customs list of too high credit and debit card fraud so my card will likely be declined!!!  Shocking and he says lady in Indiana months ago should have told me.. Well, so should have the guy on the phone on Friday after the fraud alerts he claimed were cleared?  I have googled everything with Fraud... Credit, Debit regarding PC and the entire Dominican Republic and gone to both consulate sites to find absolutely nothing....I inquired of him why if this was in effect as he says before my May 1st arrival when I went to Super Pola and used the card, now I go on May 30th and can't use the card.  Unfortunately, he says, there is no way to know which vendors will or will not take it (I emphasized this was a vendor who took it May 1, but not May 30th)....

Don't wish to elaborate on all matters of banking but certainly wonder if such an alert from our government was made (and he insists the alert is to the Dominican Merchants to not accept American cards for concern over fraud), has this not affected anyone else?  Seems in regard to my Dominican adventure that if not for a "cheap" and thoughtless American owner, an American Bank who it took 3 people to tell  me about a fraud alert that I can find no record of? would likely have been A+ perfect if not for the American side of things???  I hope if this is true, I have properly alerted but I can find no other information and would think it would be easily available?

While fraud happens here I think the issue is YOUR bank. I have many friends with American cards, they advise the bank they are here in the DR using heir cards. And they have NO issues.

You need to stop a strip off someone up there. They can easily flag your account for normal DR usage. They are being difficult.

And I've heard of no new or unusual warnings.

Sorry but I have never heard of anyone having your problems with CC if they register their DR with the company.

I use my US CC all the time. In fact just charged $30,850RD an hour ago with no problem at my auto repair shop.  We use our US debit card on occasion at the local ATMS with no problem.

Maybe you  need to talk to someone with authority at your bank or change banks.

Bob K

I agree Planner and Bob and I didn't want to scare anyone but this is CHASE bank... I can't believe someone would sit there and lie on the phone. As stated, I did all the right things, signed up in person at Chase bank identifying the card I would be using and the exact place/area in the DR right before coming. . Like I said I also went to US dept official sites and found no such warnings...I really think something else happened (someone made a mistake) and he's using some general topic about why some cards are declined and throwing that out there.  I appreciate especially the two of you answering as I know if there was some official info out there regarding the "US ADVISORY!! and denials in the DR" that one of you would have heard about it.

Can't really cancel a card from here but likely will call Supervisor manana... I have also found that of all the bills I paid online yesterday (with email follow ups thanks me for my payment, confirmations) that not one was deducted from my account as they always have been which means my acct is screwed up or someone put another hold on payments for no reason.  Help line guy says oh it always takes a week.. Well, it never has before so I'm a little concerned but mostly relieved that it's not something so widespread (knew he was misleading me).....

I suppose from now on, my mantra is ... Bob and Planner say so!! ... Thanks

hahahahaha  thank you honey. Please keep us posted and specifically  make sure to tell Chase - Bob and Planner say so......  OMG I am rolling with laughter over that concept.....   

Seriously keep on them!!!!

Not really an insurmountable issue but last year I discovered that my credit union debit card was no longer being accepted to obtain cash at any of the several ATM's that I tried, including the Scotia Bank where it had always worked successfully during past years.  Fortunately I had enough cash for my relatively short stay but naturally I don't like to have to protect that.  Any as I'm returning again this year for a few weeks I wanted to make sure I wouldn't have the same problem so I contacted the Meridian Credit Union again and was informed that the DR was not on their safe list and it would not work.  I'm now looking for an alternative bank that will provide a debit card that will not let me down while I'm there.  Thinking the Scotia Bank as they have a branch there and they are part of the Global ATM Alliance.. We shall see.  I did read that the DR was involved in a huge multi million dollar ATM scam so I can understand the reluctance of a relatively small credit union to expose themselves.  Very inconvenient though.

Any bank in the DR with an international name, such as Chase, Scotia or Popular ARE NOT BRANCHES of those banks.  They are Dominican owned & operated according to Domincan banking laws,  I repeat, they are not branches of those banks so do not expect the same rules & services. They can't rectify problems you may have with your home banks & should never expect them to do so.

You should do fine with a Scotia Bank card.

Bob K

True enough and I realize that.  However the Scotia Bank website does show the one in Puerto Plata as being part of their Global ATM Alliance and  it appears on their branch location map as well, so they are indeed affiliated. That being said although I have used my old debit card at that ATM at that location for several years successfully until last year, it does have its Dominican quirks.  Still subject to local banking laws as banks are in most countries.  It sometimes runs out of money on holiday weekends and generally has a lower  limit on cash withdrawals which is even more restrictive on weekends when it's busy.  I just opened a Scotia account today with a debit card that should work so I was assured.  Fingers crossed.

They may list it, but the local bank adheres to Dominican laws which may at times be at odds with your needs.  Knowing the week end & holiday funds run out you know how to circumvent that by getting what you need a day or two earlier. Have fun playing the game.

Thanks .. been there done that.. all part of life in the DR.. a paradise in some respects one has to be prepared for and roll with.. W.