English speaking friends in Tunis

Hi I'm due to live in Tunis in August. My husband starts a teaching job in September so I am looking to make English speaking friends to help me get to know the area as I will have a lot of time on my hands. I am bringing two dogs over with me too. Many thanks in advance Trish x

Hi Trish,

You are welcome in Tunisia

August is a fantastic month actually it is the best month to go to the beach and to attend some concerts.

My name is Ilyess, I'm a translator and it would be a great pleasure to meet you and your husband :)

Hi Ilyjan.

Thank you for your reply. That would be lovely. We have never been to Tunis before so it would be great to have friends in this area. As of yet we don't know what date in August we will be there. Or which area of Tunis we will be living. Is there anything we should know as newbies.

Many thanks Trish x

Well, I think Al marsa would be a good place to live especially that it is near to the beach and  to the tourist areas of Tunis!

My husband is working in the British international school in Tunis so hopefully we won't be living too far from there. And as I don't know the area I can't say where about that is. It will be much easier once we get out there and get settled x

I ensure to that it will very easy and that within few weeks you will know Tunis better than Tunisians :D

Let's hope so I'll have a while to get used to it. I'm looking forward to getting on the beach and chilling for a while ha ha. X

For the beach, well the beach of La Marsa is not bad but when you get here you will discover more beautiful beaches especially in Bizerta and Nabeul!

Thanks that sounds good. I will enjoy finding different beaches x

Hi Trish!

My son goes to the  British International School of Tunis. He is actually in year 1 going to year 2 in Sept.
The school is lovely and I, as a parent I see it as a big family. The majority of the kids know each other from nursery to year 5 :). As for the best area to live here in Tunis, La Marsa is a lovely place to live in, but is a bit expensive. So for a decent safe place for an expatiate, you may have to consider an amount of 1200 Euros / month of a 2 bdrs flat. Please see the following website for further information  http://www.tayara.tn/.
Of course, there are some other nice less expensive places to live in here in Tunis, and I am sure Mr. David will be more than delighted to help with this :)
As for English speakers, the majority of the persons (staff and parents) in the school should speak English, even the Tunisians not in the school speak decent English and are very welcoming and friendly. So I am sure, you will not feel lonely for long ;)

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and welcome in Tunis...

Nardjess

P.s: Unlike the English summers, the summers here in Tunis here are very hot, so be careful when you come in August :)

Hi Nardjess.

Thank you for your reply. It is great to know that the school my husband will be working in is so nice. ☺️ We are looking forward to living out there and making lots of friends. I am sure it won't take us long to get to know the area and get our bearings.

Yeah I know the temperature seems to be getting hotter every day we look ☺️ It will be a real change to our very wet British weather and prob take some getting used to. Do you work. What do people do during the day or do they just spend all day on the beach 😉 x

You're welcome Trish!

I am sure you will like it here! It is really lovely, safe and the people are so helpful and friendly.
I personally do not work, I have a husband for that ;) Only kidding :) . What happened is that I gave myself 6 to 9 months to find a job, the time to get used to the city, know the area better, getting used to the crazy driving  here... etc, but on the mean time my husband got a better opportunity elsewhere, and therefore we will be leaving Tunisia by the end of the school year. Where do you live in the UK? I, myself lived in London for about 5 years, in fact, my son was born there!
Take care

Nardjess

Oh that's a shame it would have been nice to have met you. But good thing that ur husband has got a better job. Where are you moving to. Good luck with your move. We live in Morecambe at the moment which is the north west of England.

Yeah I'm sure i will be like you give it a few months to get used to the area etc and let hubby work 😉lol. X

Yes I know would have loved meeting you too! But you never know :)
I have never been to Morecambe, but I heard that it has a lovely seaside!
We are going to the UAE, hopefully for 3 to 4 years at least, it will give our son some stability as we have been moving around quite a lot with my husband actual company. We did not find a school for our son yet, so you can imagine how stressed I am! But, I have contacted few ones and hopefully will be offered a place soon! Wish me good luck :)
Have a lovely week end.

Good luck Hun hope u get him a place soon 😊. U have a nice weekend too I'm sure u will with the sunshine as it is not so sunny Morecambe it has been raining all day. I won't miss this weather lol x

hi trish
i'm tunisian and i'm sure that you will not find any problem to find you balance in here,
sure you will have some problem first but you will be impressed by the way we will treat foreign people,well i hope that you will enjoy your time in tunisia
wish you all the best

Hi thank you very much for that lovely reply. It's just going into the unknown that is scary. Not knowing what to expect where things are etc. I'm sure I'll find my way round and it's a whole new experience and I hope I find friends quickly cause I love meeting new people x

Hi my name is jennifer just moved here to tunis living in lac 2 . let me know if i could be of any help :)

Hi Jennifer I'm now living in la marsa we have been here 2 weeks now in our home and i am finding things to do esp going to the beach 😊 x

Hi Trish, how did you found the life in Tunis? From outside it looks quite scarry with all this bad news around . I am living in UAE but my next step can be Tunisia , as my husband is tunisian  and he is attached to his life there.
Regards,
Gela

Hi Gela

I'm finding it ok here I'm not living in Tunis Central just on the outskirts of la marsa and it's lovely here. I find it a little lonely when my husband is at work but it's great to have the sun everyday when i wake up and know I can just goto the beach if I want. If u do come and live in Tunisia I recommend la marsa as it's been a nice place for us to live upto now.

When ru thinking of coming here maybe we could meet up if ur not working either

Speak soon 😊

Trish x

hallo Trish, nice to meet you. My name is Gigi ( gigione l'africano). I am italian end i live in La Marsa too.
I suggest you for an French cours  www. institutfrancaise-tunisie.com    87 Avenue de la Libertè, BP- 1080 Tunis  tel.        71 105 200. it's the French embassy's school Very nice place, professional and cheep.
If you want i can explane you how to go there with a public transport.
I also i'm searching english spekhing friends why, after two year in tunis i loose my english !!
See you ! :cheers:

I can do that next summer

hi nice to meet you.
could you please help me, about January I will travel to Tunisia and would please help me locate the address below and tell me if there is or not because I can not place it on the google map
Rue Amr Ben
Kattab Kalaa Kebira
4060 Sousse
Tunisia

Dear, are you living in Túnez now??

hi, could you please help me to locate the following address below,  I will be traveling soon and will go to the following address, but I can not find it on the google map. Please can you tell me if this address since it corresponds.
Rue Amr Ben
Kattab Kalaa Kebira
4060 Sousse
Tunisia

hi nice to meet you.
I understand that you live in Tunisia and would like to ask assistance to find an address that can not be found in google, I'll be very grateful if you help me, I would probably travel to Tunisia in January next year and go to the following address.
Rue Amr Ben
Kattab Kalaa Kebira
4060 Sousse
Tunisia

Hi yes I'm in Tunis now in la marsa but I don't know where that is ur looking for as yet I maybe able to find out for you. X

thank you very much, would you kindly find out for me.

monistar:Sousse is 1h:30 on highway southern the cpital Tunis and Kalaa Kbira is near sousse

@Monistar: You can find the location that you are looking for on google map by typing the following:
Rue Omar Ibn El Khattab, Sousse, Tunisie

The street that you are looking for is in Sousse, 143 kms from Tunis Capital. :)

hi, please could you please help me to traslate this text.

salem ana firhane ala gather inti walit tarafi tatkalamina
twhachtik barchaaa barchaaaa ya marti monica!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! roud balik ala rouhik barchaaaa ala ghater halim ok?????ani antathiroki fi airport inchallah!!!!!!!!!!!!
ala 5ir and ila illika!!!!!!!!!,i wait you forever for see you face to face because really really really i miss you so so so tw7chtik barchaaa barchaaa barchaaa,hobik halim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sbah nour hobi monica!!!!inchallah tekone inti lbes orani twahachtik barchaaa barchaaa roud balik ala rouhik barchaaa barchaaaaa, nhebik barchaaa ya marti
rajlik halim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!besslema taw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tw7chtik barchaaa,nehbik barchaaa
salem, lbes 3lik,inchallah tkone inti lbes orani tww7chtik barchaaaa barchaaa, roud balik 3la rouhik barchaaaa barcha 3la 5ater nehibik barchaaa barchaaa, rajlik halim!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi, hi, please could you please help me to traslate this text ??

Hi I don't understand Arabic I'm sorry I an English x

To Monistar, here is a translation of the different messages :
- salem ana firhane ala gather inti walit tarafi tatkalamina (HELLO, I AM HAPPY BECAUSE YOU KNOW HOW TO SPEAK (OR YOU LEARNED HOW TO SPEAK)
-twhachtik barchaaa barchaaaa ya marti monica!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( I MISSED YOU A LOT MY WIFE MONICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
-roud balik ala rouhik barchaaaa ala ghater halim ok????? (TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF BECAUSE HALIM IS OK?????)
-ani antathiroki fi airport inchallah!!!!!!!!!!!! (I WAIT FOR YOU AT THE AIRPORT INSHALLAH)
-ala 5ir and ila illika!!!!!!!!! (GOOD NIGHT AND SEE YOU!!!!!!!!!)
-,i wait you forever for see you face to face because really really really i miss you so so so
-tw7chtik barchaaa barchaaa barchaaa,hobik halim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( I MISSED YOU LOTS LOTS LOTS, YOUR LOVE HALIM)
-sbah nour hobi monica!!!!inchallah tekone inti lbes orani twahachtik barchaaa barchaaa roud balik ala rouhik barchaaa barchaaaaa, nhebik barchaaa ya marti (GOOD NIGHT MY LOVE MONICA!!!!INSHALLAH YOU ARE DOING OK AND THAT I MISSED YOU LOTS LOTS TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF LOTS LOTS, I LOVE YOU VERY MUCH MY WIFE)
rajlik halim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!besslema taw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (YOUR HUSBAND HALIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SEE YA FOR NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tw7chtik barchaaa,nehbik barchaaa ( I MISSED YOU A LOT, I LOVE YOU A LOT)
salem, lbes 3lik,inchallah tkone inti lbes orani tww7chtik barchaaaa barchaaa, roud balik 3la rouhik barchaaaa barcha 3la 5ater nehibik barchaaa barchaaa, rajlik halim!!!!!!!!!!!!(HELLO, YOU ARE OK, I HOPE THAT YOU ARE DOING OK AND THAT I MISSED YOU A LOT, TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF A LOT BECAUSE I LOVE YOU A LOT, YOUR HUSBAND HALIM!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks so much !!!
your are very nice.

you welcome

Jennifer, I just moved here in July and live in Lac 2.  Got married to a Tunisian in October and looking to meet friends.  Are you married per chance?  Are you from the US?  What do you have as hobbies?  My wife and I are trying to meet people to go out and see museums (the Science Museum looks great and my wife confirms it is as she's Tunisian), and karaoke or try new places to eat and just to go out to dinner with other people to socialize.  Also, we're geeks so we looking for other geeks into gaming and RPG Board Games.

Hi am lamin Sabbally from Gambia banjul stay in Tunisia nabuel , it my great pleasure to be as friend .... indeed if you  aspects my propose.....thank you

Hi Lamin sabally,

This is an old thread. We recommend members to participate on recent threads of the forum so that they may get better interaction.

All the best,
Bhavna