Greetings from Germany!

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm an American who moved to the Cologne area earlier this year. Glad I found this forum; it should be nice talking with others who are sharing similar experiences in a new country =)

Welcome on board Lindsay :)

So far, how's life in Cologne ? Do you like it?

Hi Lindsay-

I am new to the ex-pat blog too. I plan to move to Germany in Oct/Nov 2010.  Participating on this site is a part of my pre-departure research.  I'd like to learn more about you experiences thus far.  What made you move to Germany?  I am doing it on my own for a change of scenery and the experience.  take care!

Hello, and thanks for the responses!

Although in reality I live in a region called "the Eifel", it's not all that exciting around here, so I try and go to Cologne at least once a week. I was there yesterday with my boyfriend who lives in Aachen (also a beautiful city; I might move there in October) and  I just love being around so many people! The city is my favorite place to be. Good stores, nice scenery, and having a Dom Kölsch on the steps to the Kölner Dom is a great way to end the day ;)

An au pair job is actually what got me over here in the first place. I'm also intending to start school here in April 2010, and I thought working here for a year first would give me a better idea if I really could imagine staying in a foreign country for so long. I also spent a month in Berlin last summer, but have to say I prefer west Germany, though I'm planning to study in the north, in Kiel.

I'm here for a change of scenery too; I love California, but I wanted something new. The process of managing to stay here and go to school are however more difficult than I at first expected; Germany is a rather bureaucratic country.

what do you plan on doing in Germany?