TV and 110/220v

I'm not bringing much with me but one thing that is making the trip is my 55" Samsung Smart TV.

I know about the move to 220v circuits in KSA and that running a 110 appliance on a 220 circuit will cook the appliance.  Are step-down converters available?   Should I just leave the TV in the States?

Thoughts?

Rigger

hey rigger64. I dont know how much it will cost you to transport the tv from the states to ksa, mind you transportation and handling aren't the best skills of KSA airport  (they are doing their best i guess). You probably know that there are numerous options in KSA to buy original legit electronics, be it samsung, sony... the works and Im pretty sure they are way cheaper here as compared to the States ;)

BUT IF you take that decision to tag it along then I recommend you get an electrician to set up the electric plug connection and test it for you before you connect an expensive beauty  :kiss: I lost my iphone dock :( but ended up getting a much better one for a fraction of the price in the UAE  XD  :offtopic:

note: when an electrical switch says 110 v it actually is 127volts here and when they say 220 its actually more... that's something you should consider when connecting something precious even if your plugging a 110 device in a 110 plug ;) a stabilizer is a very safe solution. best of luck and welcome to the community

The few electronics that we brought have lasted so far (laptops, PlayStation, bluray) but our printer died. Your sons would probably appreciate it staying with them.

Totally your call, but if on a weight limit for shipping your wife & daughter may want other things to come that are not as heavy.

What ever you do, do not forget to have your TV insured, mine got broken but luckily it was insured and the insurance agent bought me a new one from the market.

Hmmm, I would be quite worried bringing a TV, especially a big one like that!  How exactly are you bringing it?  Obviously, it is not coming with you as luggage, right?  Or is it?  Special shipment by a shipping cargo company?  What if it gets damaged?  As riazcdki said, you should insure it.

To answer your question, transformers are available, but 110 V connections are also available here.  Most homes that I have been in have had a mixture of 110 V and 220 V outlets, albeit more/most of the 220 V variety.  If there is no 110 V outlet where you will be staying, or if there aren't enough of them, you can have one of the 220 V ones converted to 110 V by an electrician.

The outlet is not the problem, I would just be more worried about bringing a massive flat screen TV, especially if it is a prized possession!  If you want to get one here, a 55 inch Samsung Smart TV will run you about $2k to $4k, depending on the model:

http://www.umg.com.sa/index.php/product … s/smart-tv

Of course a Stupid TV would be cheaper than a Smart TV, running you about $1k for an LCD or a Plasma one, and about $1.5k for an LED one, for 50-60 inch models :)

Thanks, Trap.  Much appreciated!   Company is paying for household goods shipment.   Since we're not bringing much in the way of furniture or anything else I'd like to have my TV.  It will definitely be insured during the move but I can't see spending on the $$ on another one if this is less than a year old.   Will make sure I check out 110v availability and ask about converting if I need it.   Dumb TVs are OK, but with my Smart one, getting my NetFlix (via VPN) and other streaming is so much easier.

@ Stressedmom - You're so right, my sons would love having it - but they got the old one when I bought this one.  The old one was a 46" Samsung and they use it mostly for gaming!   :lol:

@ Oliver - I appreciate your input.   I'll look into the conversion if needed.   Per Trap, I may not need to worry about it.

R

riazcdki wrote:

What ever you do, do not forget to have your TV insured, mine got broken but luckily it was insured and the insurance agent bought me a new one from the market.

Insurance is a must!!  Thanks!

R