How to visit Vung Tau

Hi, any ideas how to visit Vung Tau? I would like to do a day trip from vung tau but not sure how.

MeowMiao,

You can take one of the buses from HCMC to Vung Tau for less than 200,000 VND (less than $10 USD).  Try Phuong Tran (orange colored buses) in the backpacker area (Pham Ngu Lao - street name; District 1).

You can also try to rent a motorbike and drive to Vung Tau but I would only suggest that if you go with another person, have a license (of course you can get around this but it is technically illegal), and have experience on a motorbike.  Motorbikes can also be rented in Pham Ngu Lao.

The trip to Vung Tau takes you through the newer tunnel under the river.  You will probably take the ferry as well (I'm not sure if the tour buses do) to get to Vung Tau.  Try to go on the weekdays when there is less people and you will have your pick and more leverage negotiating accomodation rates.

A day trip will be tiring because each way will take about 4 hours from HCMC.  See if you can stay for a night or two (budget hotels can be as low as $15/night near the beach) so you can enjoy Vung Tau a little more.  "Back Beach" has nice long beaches and check out the bakery west of Back Beach.

Have fun!

If you decide to visit vung tau and money isn't an issue, definitely go during the weekend. Its absolutely dead during the weekdays there. I also recommend taking Phuong Trang they're located on Pham Ngu Lao / De Tham street and will take you to Vung Tau within 2hrs..I believe they usually have a bus to HCMC - VT hourly during the day.

You can take the Thien Phu van for 100,000 dong. It now takes 2 hours. There are plenty of hotels on back beach from 250,000 up. Plenty of western and vietnamese restaurants. This is a tourist town. Best breakfast is at the Green Hotel on Tuy Van St. Come and enjoy. Easyto rent a motorbike to see the city.

Meowmiao wrote:

Hi, any ideas how to visit Vung Tau? I would like to do a day trip from vung tau but not sure how.

Hi,
I'm Vietnamese and living in Vung Tau. At present, I'm working at HCM city. Sometimes, I often organize a tour to Vung Tau for costumers (often is expat).

If you want to go to Vung Tau by yourself, you can choose Phuong Trang bus for moving. Phuong Trang station locate at 272 Đề Thám street district 1. Price: 110 000 VND (~6 USD) per ticket. You will be got free water on bus. You need about 2h15' from HCM to Vung Tau.

When you come to Vung Tau, you can rent a hotel or motel. Some of hotels I suggest those are Sammy hotel, O cap hotel,.. Price  is about VND 400 000 per night (not include 10% tax). For saving you can rent a motel at Thuy Van street. Price is lower than a half. Hotels/motels I suggest also locate at "back beach".

To eat sea food, you should have a local person to accompany you. Because some restaurant will get you more money than its value.

Especially, I think you should go "Xich lo" for sight seeing ( 1 kind of especial transport in Vung Tau) price VND 100 000/hr

In the case, you need a trip with a local tour guide. Please feel free contact me, I will help you as much as I can. :) 

Contact me at: [email protected]

Is it possible to rent a taxi in vung tar for a day? as i can't drive

Contact me on facebook
Gary Whitwell. I will try to help yoi.

Hi,can you reply me here?

Sure. There are plenty of taxi companies here so you can have your pick. Depends on how much you want to pay and what you want to see.  If you are adventurious, you can use motorbike taxis. Or you can take the tour. Depends on how long you will be here and how much you want to spend. Usually everyone just lazes on the beach.