Considering leaving the USA to move to Philippines

You are choosing wisely to retire in Palawan.  They are going full-swing in improving everything about Palawan, making it a world class destination.  I got to meet the current president of the Palawan Chamber of Commerce, and expat himself, Bart Duff.  He's definitely taking no slackers along while he pushes forward.  Keep watching at Palawan.  There will be very reasonable accommodations mixed with higher end ones to make it a great destination for everyone.  Whether for a quick visit or a retirement destination, this city is my top contender for the future best destination in Asia, better than Bali and others.

tommieboy999 wrote:
vetretreat wrote:
tommieboy999 wrote:

i live very comfortably on 600 dollars a month. of course not in the big city. my rent is 150 per month.. 300 for food.. and 50 for cable/internet.. another 100 for eating out a couple times a week.

Let's see, you live COMFORTABLY on $600 a month...Let us do a little addition:

150   Rent
300   Food
100   Eating OUT
  50   Cable/Internet

600   TOTAL
That means you have FREE POWER, FREE GAS, you get your WATER from the local stream or river and use IODINE pills to treat it, You never get sick or need medication, You have no teeth so no need for a dentist,  You walk or bike everywhere you go and your bike is equipped with a rack so you can load your groceries to get home, You don't drink or go to bars for entertainment, all the tricycle and jeepney drivers love you and will never charge you in case you need to go on a long trip, you hitchhike to Manila to upgrade your visa extensions and immigration is very gratuitous to you and never charge, your average day is watching cable or on the computer better known as a couch potato, of course your wife or GF has no need of extras in their life so there is no added expense for them because they are  of the simpleton clan...You are content with all the above and never get bored because you have the same beautiful scenery to amuse you day in and day out...MAN AM I EVER ENVIOUS OF YOUR COMFORTABLE LIFE...Please show me the way....

I have a motorcycle.. I don't drink or smoke..  however I forgot to include my electric which has never been above 50 or 60 dollars. I don't use gas. I only have electric. water is 50 pesos (one dollar) for unlimited use.. I go to the gym which is 20 pesos per day... so, im up to 651 dollars per month. any questions smart arse?

and as far as entertainment goes my fat feathered friend... lets test your theory.
I don't need to drink myself into oblivion each day to have a good time
my expat friends and I go to the gym 4 or 5 days a week
we go swimming at the beach a few days a week
we go swimming at the falls a few days a week..
we hike up the mountain and eat fruits and drink coconut water along the way
we hang out at my friends restaurant a few days a week..
and I still have time to watch some tv at night
yes! I never spend more than 650 a month on all my expenses
read it and weep

if you want to spend 2-3000 dollars a month fighting traffic and choking on pollution while looking over your shoulder when walking down the street.. Cebu or manila is great. not to mention catching tb or hepatitis from the bar girls you enjoy watching...  if that is what you call living, be my guest. ill stay right where I am.   im able to save most of my hard earned money and enjoy fresh air 24/7

tommieboy999 wrote:
vetretreat wrote:
tommieboy999 wrote:

i live very comfortably on 600 dollars a month. of course not in the big city. my rent is 150 per month.. 300 for food.. and 50 for cable/internet.. another 100 for eating out a couple times a week.

150   Rent
300   Food
100   Eating OUT
  50   Cable/Internet

600   TOTAL
That means you have FREE POWER, FREE GAS, you get your WATER from the local stream or river and use IODINE pills to treat it, You never get sick or need medication, You have no teeth so no need for a dentist,  You walk or bike everywhere you go and your bike is equipped with a rack so you can load your groceries to get home, You don't drink or go to bars for entertainment, all the tricycle and jeepney drivers love you and will never charge you in case you need to go on a long trip, you hitchhike to Manila to upgrade your visa extensions and immigration is very gratuitous to you and never charge, your average day is watching cable or on the computer better known as a couch potato, of course your wife or GF has no need of extras in their life so there is no added expense for them because they are  of the simpleton clan...You are content with all the above and never get bored because you have the same beautiful scenery to amuse you day in and day out...MAN AM I EVER ENVIOUS OF YOUR COMFORTABLE LIFE...Please show me the way....

I have a motorcycle.. I don't drink or smoke..  however I forgot to include my electric which has never been above 50 or 60 dollars. I don't use gas. I only have electric. water is 50 pesos (one dollar) for unlimited use.. I go to the gym which is 20 pesos per day... so, im up to 651 dollars per month. any questions smart arse?

Smart arse?? And you called me sensitive...LOL...You need to look in the mirror a little harder....As I said before, show me the way...I still wonder, you and your wife or GF have no need for medical, dentist, or little extra things in life for which you call being comfortable...Being from Canada and used to cooler climate I guess you enjoy being in a hot box with no A/C ever so I guess that is why your power is only $60(Philippines has the highest power prices in all of Asia)...I also guess you drink that tap water at 50 pesos a month...My tap water bill runs 100 month but my drinking water runs 500 month for four...If you don't use gas I guess you push your bike around which keeps you in shape after spending day in and day out watching TV and slamming others on your computer..:)..You really must have one of the least boring lives of all the expats I have talked to with a grandiose equation of $651 a month...But it is possible to live on that and even much less if you want to maintain a bare existence in the PI like most of the natives...DON'T BE SO SENSITIVE...

Now I'm FAT & FEATHERED...LOL...I am  6-2 and weigh 185, 33 waistline, and I don't waste money on the Gym...I workout at home, do Tai Chi and ride 15K a day on a bike not a motorcycle and I dont Live in the big city and my rent is 10k for 100 sqm, 3 bed/3 bath right on the water with a free garage but my budget for a family of four to include immigration, excursions to see the country and its beauty, food, power, water, gas(both cooking/auto), insurance, auto maint, medical, dental, eating out, donations to neighbors, clothing, gifts for wife/children, laundry supplies, toiletries, occasional repairs, part time house maid, occasional masseuse and the many miscellaneous things which go with a COMFORTABLE LIFE; costs me approximately 11 to $1,200 monthly...I don't do bars or girls who favor them..I have a beautiful college educated wife whom would do anything for me because I make sure she has the little inexpensive extras which make her happy in life...

Im happy for you that you are content with swimming the falls and hiking the mountains cracking coconuts and eating all the plentiful wild fruits which I myself have a hard time finding except for mangoes or lychees during the season...

Perhaps you are not as bored as I thought...

Albert Sotelo wrote:

You are choosing wisely to retire in Palawan.  They are going full-swing in improving everything about Palawan, making it a world class destination.  I got to meet the current president of the Palawan Chamber of Commerce, and expat himself, Bart Duff.  He's definitely taking no slackers along while he pushes forward.  Keep watching at Palawan.  There will be very reasonable accommodations mixed with higher end ones to make it a great destination for everyone.  Whether for a quick visit or a retirement destination, this city is my top contender for the future best destination in Asia, better than Bali and others.

Which city on Palawan are you referring to Albert???

Thanks Albert. I went there around three years ago and I thought the people were very  friendly and helpful. I didn't see a lot of beggars or run into many hustlers.  For whatever reason, there is plenty of room in their tricycles which is a good thing if you are over six feet and around 240 pounds. I didn't feel like a sardine like the ones I rode on in Olongapo, and Manila. I don't believe there was a taxi service when I went there. Hopefully, as the city gets bigger, somebody will open one.  I'm not sure about the health care there. That is something that will have to be researched as I get closer to moving . I think the best advice that I have seen in these forums is to rent a place in a city that you are thinking about retiring in  for a couple of months to see if you like it. I'll plan on doing that once I retire.   Four more years, four more years, four more years. Seems like it's taking forever.

I was talking about Puerto Princesa.  I have a feeling Albert was also. It is the largest city in Palawan. Well, it is , if the Chinese don't decide to bomb it.

what a very interesting thread! I agree with the idea that taking the time in any place in the world before you make your final decision to stay for good is a MUST. What you see and what your hear from other people is not enough to make your final decision. To see is to believe. There are good and bad experiences, there are good and bad people wherever you go. In most cases, if you think you will experience the good things in life, you will. If your actions are towards the good, most likely you will experience the good. As a single person, you have more flexibility to move around and to choose where you want to stay. As everyone mentioned, your budget, your choice of location as to whether you want to  be in the metro or the suburbs will dictate where you can stay. We've been living here for more than four years now in the Southern most part of Metro Manila and we are happily enjoying the safe neighborhood, the proximity to the malls, the hospitals, the airport, the financial district and the outskirts. Electricity, food, water, good internet connection are all expensive that's why my husband has been working on how we can live a more self-sustaining and energy efficient lifestyle. It is still in progress but I believe that we will get there soon. Moving here as a single person might require you to get the SRRV visa with a deposit requirement which you can use to partly buy your own condo when you decide to live here later on. Meantime, do your due diligence in experiencing the beauty of the Philippines. Filipinos are good to people who are good to them. If you register with the US Embassy, you will feel more secure knowing that in the event of any catastrophe, you will be contacted to find out if you need any assistance. Staying in well secured condos is more ideal while you are searching. Most of my expat friends stay either in Makati or Ortigas Center and commute by taxi, or MRT or sometimes bus.
Let me just remind you and the rest of the expats: the requirements for all of us to file the FBAR and 1040 and other pertinent IRS/FTB requirements. FATCA (Foreign Account Tax Compliance ACT) has now been implemented in all Financial Institutions in the Philippines starting  July 2014). I will post more details later...
Pinaymentor

MIGHTYLAR wrote:

I was talking about Puerto Princesa.  I have a feeling Albert was also. It is the largest city in Palawan. Well, it is , if the Chinese don't decide to bomb it.

Yes, I was referring to Palawan's capital, Puerto Princessa City.  In the works is a better healthcare facility which is a major aspect of Puerto Princessa's push for global attractiveness. 

As for China, I am sure they would rather waste their efforts on a more populated target like Manila or Cebu.

Highly unlikely the China and Philippines would ever get into any kind of major military action over the islands in question. It would be a local "shoot 'em up" in the neighborhood. It might spill over to neighbor islands like Palawan, however. Sorry to hear so much building, etc. going on there. It will take away much of the charm for me.

I agree....It's all about PESO is king..

Ponani wrote:

Sorry to hear so much building, etc. going on there. It will take away much of the charm for me.

Same here.  It has happened in Boracay and also Tagaytay. 

The first time I went to Boracay around late 1990's with my siblings and parents, I really had a super great time.  We had to sleep in bamboo huts with just a fan and mosquito nets at night, The clean and cool sea breeze was very relaxing.  There were no restaurants.  Very few tourists. The locals who were very friendly cooked for us freshly caught seafood which we bought from local fishermen.  The sand was powdery white.  The beach was clean with no algae. Probably one of the best vacations I've ever had.

My American husband and I went to Boracay in 2005 and things were very much different.  Restaurants lined up the shore.  There was so much development.  The beach was overcrowded. There were lots of foreigners with prostitutes (and with my husband with me in my pre-maternity body, I was not surprised if I was mistaken for one) At the beachfront resort we stayed in, we had a pedophile as a neighbor with a young boy, probably age 14 or younger, who looked very upset after a night at the room he shared with male foreigner, probably he didn't know what was going to happen to him when he was handed over to that disgusting man.  I reported this to the front desk, but they just ignored me, saying that the boy probably looked young for his age.  Awww, c'mon. 

The beach was littered with algae. What used to be "pucca shell beach, which used to be filled with tiny sea shells, is now know as simply pucca beach, because all the shells are gone. On our boat ride back to the airport, our boat picked up another foreigner with a young Filipina, probably age 14, who was made to look older by styling her hair with cornrows,, and making her wear 5 inch platforms and henna tattoo. It was the worst vacation ever.   It was so sickening, such that when we came back to Manila, I had a fever, stomach ache and was throwing up. I got so sick, either from what I had seen or from the pollution from the beach.

I remembered back in 2003 when my husband and I got married in Tagaytay, the winds were stronger, the air cleaner, and we saw a beautiful view of Taal Lake.  Now, at the same time of the year then, the winds were not as strong, the air was warmer, there are now rows of condos here and here.  And I heard that condos and resorts will be built near the late in the near future.

Now, Palawan might suffer the same fate. It's sad.  The charm of these places are lost, at least for me.

vetretreat wrote:
tommieboy999 wrote:
vetretreat wrote:

150   Rent
300   Food
100   Eating OUT
  50   Cable/Internet

600   TOTAL

Smart arse?? And you called me sensitive...LOL...You need to look in the mirror a little harder....As I said before, show me the way...I still wonder, you and your wife or GF have no need for medical, dentist, or little extra things in life for which you call being comfortable...Being from Canada and used to cooler climate I guess you enjoy being in a hot box with no A/C ever so I guess that is why your power is only $60(Philippines has the highest power prices in all of Asia)...I also guess you drink that tap water at 50 pesos a month...My tap water bill runs 100 month but my drinking water runs 500 month for four...If you don't use gas I guess you push your bike around which keeps you in shape after spending day in and day out watching TV and slamming others on your computer..:)..You really must have one of the least boring lives of all the expats I have talked to with a grandiose equation of $651 a month...But it is possible to live on that and even much less if you want to maintain a bare existence in the PI like most of the natives...DON'T BE SO SENSITIVE...

i thought your talking about gas for cooking. yes I use maybe 100 pesos per week for petrol
the tap water in camiguin is the best in the Philippines, many expats here drink the tap water however I pay 100 peso for 4 bottles and it lasts me the entire month and sometimes 5 weeks.
as far as medical, I have never had to go to the doctor yet.. but the money I save living here will make my first visit much easier
my friends and I have recently built a small boat which we use to fish a couple times a week.. so, no need to buy fish anymore. my vege garden and fruit trees help also  .. theres nothing like living on what god created.. my good friend has a website and he can help you get started growing your own food. he is a graduate of texas a&m and he has been a professional horticulturist for many years. add him on facebook and he will gladly answer all your questions about gardening in the Philippines.  James Musslewhite.   Peace

Just noticed Royal Caribbean has a new 10 day cruise out of Hong Kong in Oct/Nov 2015 that will be stopping in Manila, Boracay (tender, not docked) and Puerto Princesa on the way to Singapore.  This could help explain the "improvements" taking place.

tommieboy999 wrote:
vetretreat wrote:
tommieboy999 wrote:

i thought your talking about gas for cooking. yes I use maybe 100 pesos per week for petrol
the tap water in camiguin is the best in the Philippines, many expats here drink the tap water however I pay 100 peso for 4 bottles and it lasts me the entire month and sometimes 5 weeks.
as far as medical, I have never had to go to the doctor yet.. but the money I save living here will make my first visit much easier
my friends and I have recently built a small boat which we use to fish a couple times a week.. so, no need to buy fish anymore. my vege garden and fruit trees help also  .. theres nothing like living on what god created.. my good friend has a website and he can help you get started growing your own food. he is a graduate of texas a&m and he has been a professional horticulturist for many years. add him on facebook and he will gladly answer all your questions about gardening in the Philippines.  James Musslewhite.   Peace

If you drink the tap water and perhaps it may be the best when it leaves the source, but keep in mind it normally fills a water tank on top the roof of the house or condos you live in and those tanks are often contaminated with bacteria, roaches, etc...I personally would never drink the water coming down from those tanks; that is why it is recommended only to drink purified water which filters all bacteria and chlorine which almost all public water sources in the Philippines has...Chlorine consumed daily is a known cause of some types of cancer...

mugtech wrote:

Just noticed Royal Caribbean has a new 10 day cruise out of Hong Kong in Oct/Nov 2015 that will be stopping in Manila, Boracay (tender, not docked) and Puerto Princesa on the way to Singapore.  This could help explain the "improvements" taking place.

That's right!  Thanks for adding this bit of information.  Puerto Princesa will be a stop to the Royal Caribbean cruise ships soon.  A hotelier contact of mine confirmed this plans last year when I was conducting a business study for them here in Baguio City.

I've spent the last three winters in Katipunan, near Dipolog . Zamboanga del Norte, Mindanao.  Summers in Alaska. I live very comfortable with a gf on $1100 a month Social Security and I am on the beach!

Twistedfisher wrote:

I've spent the last three winters in Katipunan, near Dipolog . Zamboanga del Norte, Mindanao.  Summers in Alaska. I live very comfortable with a gf on $1100 a month Social Security and I am on the beach!

Same as myself...right on the water with a garage with living expense of $1100 month..

Dear expatblog moderator,

How about adding an Excel graph that would have approximated key economic indicators per household of each contributor (voluntarily) such or similar to the headings below.  It could be expanded further if we have further interest.

CITY/BARANGAY      Persons per household    ELECTRICITY  GAS  WATER  GASOLINE  FOOD   HOTELrates

On the CITY/BARANGAY, we could indicate how far our location is from the central business district.
If electricity or natural gas is in use, how much is the per month expenditure?
Gasoline for vehicles.  Maybe a better way is to indicate what general type of vehicle and or transportation is used.  Public transportation?  OWN?

Water consumption could be split up with mineral water, city water or well water.

Food could mean general groceries (including cleaning supplies and personal stuff). 

I put hotel rates and/or accommodations in the area considering that one has to visit first to investigate a city before moving.

We might get some volunteers that might want to share a little bit more details, too.

What do you think?

Hi Albert,

Thanks for your suggestion that we are noting down.
Meanwhile maybe you could start a new thread that we would stick on the forum and allow other members to update.

Regards
Armand
Expat.com Team

Welcome to the Philippines, If you decide to move here. As others have said if you have never been here visit first make sure this is where you want to live. I have lived here for 5 years in Cagayan de Oro Mindanao. I is a nice city growing pretty fast. Currently there are 4 large malls and another one being built. There plenty of US franchises available here you can get US products at most of the malls and supermarkets but they are expensive, The Philippines has a 250% import tax. Here is a web site for housing http://www.ayosdito.ph/ prices for all areas of the Philippines. I am large also 6'3" and 259 lbs.I find jeepneys to be uncomfortable and most always crowded so I ride taxis I can go anywhere in the city for less the $5. Banking I have been using my visa debit card issued by my credit union in the US. I have no local bank account in the Philippines. There are ATMs everywhere but they will charge P200 per transaction. It cost me about P1,000 a month to get my P50.000 for my monthly living expenses. My credit union gives me the prevailing exchange rate so I am probably saving money as the local banks give lesser rate. I have an air con in my bed room and my electric bill runs less the P4,000 a month. If you want to cool your whole it will be expensive. The Philippines has the most expensive electric in the world as they don't want to invest in efficient plants such as nuclear. They are very much into climate change but have very dirty air and water,  go figure. Water is cheap P200 a month and P400 for drinking water. internet is slow but readily available thru several different providers. I checked a web site for internet speeds around the world and they only country with slower internet then  the Philippines was North Korea and they have no internet. You will be able to do whatever you want but will be slower then you are used too. As for clothing you better bring what you need. I wear size 13 shoes available only by special order, expensive. 2x tee shirts can get for $8 each, My waist size not available. That's my experience here if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

I bank BPI down town on the centro the devided street with the park in the middle just up from Joly bee.  I can get 20,000 for 200 peso there. On Visa.  Then go to cogon or uni top market to shop. I have more nice shirts than I can handle on sale from Giasons for 60 to 75 peso each. Cargo Shorts if you ask you can get on the second floor at the small cloths shop at cogans if you ask she keeps them hid in a box in the back. And sets out Philippine sizes. Just outside the big cloth store there.  You need learn to walk around here and ask a lot.  Boxer shorts are hard for me to find here. All else I find in cloths.  I also buy at save more here.  Food cost less than America here. 7,000 peso max for electric. 2 aircons, big screen TV.  But water is under 400 peso a month.  One thing I found was putting shower curtains white on shower rods will drop the temp in the house 2c. in sunny windows if white. And windows here are drafty or most are that will block the drafts out from them. That is for 2 adults and a child my bills. I know you send me private messages but they never get to me.  We meet downtown every Wend. at the broken chicken here. Across from the bingo hall not far from bpi bank around 8pm. Mixed lot from were ever. German, oz, americans, Canadians,what ever. From the BPI on the centro down town it would be 2 blocks towards the malls and 2 blocks to the right and you will see the bingo hall. cross street and far side from there on right. I have 5 g internet not cheap and works 75% of the time here.  I live very well here on 20,000 peso a week. And have a little left over from that for special trips. That is for the 3 of us here. Going down town to the parade today city day here

As for size 13 shoes I know of 1 shoe repair store here. That will make you a pair of high quality dress sandles.  Not cheap heavy soles that will last 3 years boot type, good leather, and brass buckles.  But competitive with what you will pay special order. And very high quality long lasting shoe. But a bit stiff till broke in. You might ask at some repair stores they do have coblers here of some skill.

Hi my name is nanette i would like to apply to u as your permanent house helper i can help you in all house work .. i am turn 40  and a single mom. I work hard and flixible can work in any job ..  i love animals and fafm

You need A/C.  Many class 2 cities will do.  Smaller cities are cheaper.  I would say with internet. A/C. Taxies, imigration & all. Big eater Good food.  U.S. $1500 to $2,000 a month.  I assume you want a place with large bed  & work area.  So 3 rooms or more.  In better location. You can cut corners & bring that down.  I would try 6 months here first. Some travel & eating out.  Going the poor rout is not always best.  Internet is improving here but far from American standards.  Figure 5 average 10 with luck on speed. You pay for speed here.

You need to come here on a tourist visa and see what you are getting yourself into.

PERIOD.

If not you just might be buying a ticket to he77....  ALL depends on you and what you like and can tolerate....

P. S.

You can't get a ticket to heaven on American airlines.  Wherever you go, there you are.  So your problems sually follow you :)

SO HOW DID YOU MAKE OUT  ? SO MUCH ADVISE ! I ALSO HAVE ADVISE IF YOU WANT IT !   JACK

OH I SEE THIS WAS 2014, SO 3 YRS LATER WHAT HAPPENED ? DID YOU MOVE TO THE PHILIPPINES ????

jwillwon3 wrote:

OH I SEE THIS WAS 2014, SO 3 YRS LATER WHAT HAPPENED ? DID YOU MOVE TO THE PHILIPPINES ????

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=191087

Make sure to write correctly and clearly on the forum so that everyone can understand: avoid cap locks and SMS language.

i have been to camiguin many times and i see all the new roads and construction. maybe the camiguin charm will be lost when there are too many people on that tiny island. i will be there in a few months as i have two friends who have homes there. dale on hibokhibok and duncan on the ocean near mumbahao. too bad the tree house burned! we they rebuild it ?  j

yeah. and she married his Filipina girlfriend. the thing is that his Filipina gf is married. but she was able to get annulled within the year. the lawyer who handled the case is a good friend of mine. :)

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please refer only to the housing section. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Ray3131 ~ Again? Eastwood is a long way from Palawan. Perhaps you should focus your marketing efforts elsewhere.