Considering leaving the USA to move to Philippines

Hello everyone :D I am new here by the way. Now I have quite a bit of questions and everyone here seems awesome so here goes.

After doing my research it seems moving to the Philippines is what many like to do. The cost of living I hear their vs the USA is quite different. I am curious about or around what you guys and gals would suggest it would cost for my needs. I am new to all of this and never looked into it until now. I am not super picky. I am a big guy however lol. So basically these things I WILL need, well to make me happy at least lol.

I get hot easily, so a/c or air conditioner is a must. I also would need very strong internet connection constantly. I am an entrepreneur. So internet connection is a must. I also like I said am a big guy and I like to eat. Other then that not too picky.

Now what about transportation? Is it needed or can I go pretty much anywhere their by other means besides car?

Curious about my money also. Can I keep my money in the USA and still live their and access it? I hear many like to do this supposably.

Would like a decently safe place also locks/windows etc etc the basics. As well as a cumfy bed and the basics. I like my privacy very much as well

Other than that right now I think this is it. I will ask more questions as I remember them all. I appreciate replies and help everyone. I am completely new to all of this so sorry for any dumb questions. Let's chat and talk about my options.

Hi, you need a studio pad (not necessarily condo) with aircon. I suggest that you live in Cebu City coz Manila is overcrowded and budget wise, your money is worth more in Cebu than in Manila. You may live near Schools, Hospitals, or IT park, WHY? because in these places you will cheap foods at A-OK price. You dont need to buy a car coz its not so traffic in here and the taxi cabs are not that expensive. The way you said about yourself, i think you can live here for 50,000 per month or just $2,000 per month. Luckily, you will not experience internet problems here in Cebu. just mack me if you need further info. :D

hello welcome here philippines..i think you will enjoy staying in philippines but depend where place you want to stay..for me manila is bit crowded and very hot  and you can exp also about transportion is always hv heavy traffic.. but if u wish to stay tagaytay baguio dakak boracay:) im sure u enjoy but please be careful those pick pocket ;) behind ur jeans;) dont used iphone or any expensive mobile on the street specially in manila,.and if u are big eater its ok ;) but not much hhhhh im sure u enjoy here in philippines if you have a friend that you can trust

Have you been here before?  You should visit for a few weeks before you decide to move here. 

This is what you might experience the first time you move here.

The moment you land at the airport, you'd notice that it's so hot.  You hurry to your airconditioned cab and can't wait to get to an airconed hotel or your contact's airconed place.  Eventually, you'd want to get your own place, only to find out that the better ones cost a lot. And when you do find one with a reasonable rent, you'd be shocked when you receive your huge electric bill, huge because of prolonged aircon use.

On your ride from the airport, you'd notice the bumper to bumper traffic, where tailgating is the norm. It's unnerving and scary when the cab gets "trapped" between two large buses.  You might think, what a tragic way to die that my last day on earth is being squished in between two buses on the first day of my new life in the Philippines. You might even start praying (as what some of my relatives visiting from America do when this happens.)  This will happen a lot of times, but surprisingly, your driver doesn't even get into a fender bender.

For a few days, you'd be trying the local cuisine. Later you'd start to crave food the way it's prepared in America.  You might try to find an American breakfast place, but find later that it's not the same. Beef and other meats here are tough. You can find imported USDA beef, but they will be unbelievably expensive (and I'm not talking about the premium cuts, but just your regular cuts that you get from Safeway. Food from America is expensive.  A quart  of Hagen dazs ice cream is US$8. I wouldn't even mention how much blueberries cost, if you can find them.

So, you might try something that's more familiar, something cheaper. You might go to an American franchise place like McDonald's or Wendy's and notice that the price, say for a Big Mac, is cheaper here when you convert the price to a dollar. But when you get your order, you'll notice that you'll get like 75% to a half of your regular portion in the states. One order doesn't quite do it. (The first time I ordered a "small" Frostie, I was surprised I was given a shot glass size. It was as short as the short side of a dollar bill.) So, you will actually have to pay more.

As you stroll at malls or other public places, people would sometimes stare, like you were wearing an oversized madhatter hat. It can be uncomfortable.

You might try out the public transportation. You'd discover that open air jeepneys is much less to be desired, as it's hot and you'll breath in a lot of pollution. After you've tried riding a bus for a few months, there will be a time where you'd find your wallet and cellphone missing. You really have to focus when crossing the street.  When a driver blinks his headlights while you're crossing, it means, "I'm not going to stop for you, so you should either hurry up or wait until I pass." 

So you've decided to drive your own car.  You might rant or curse at first at drivers, especially inconsiderate drivers of jeepneys and buses, that you are actually the one who has the right of way but the other driver will not acknowledge it., That lane markings are just a "suggestion", as driving here is like traversing through a river, where vehicles are like fish which will try to get in front of you if here's two or more feet between your car and the one in front of you.  So, tailgating is the norm.

Internet connection is slow, even with the more expensive, higher priced plans. Even with that, the internet company will put a disclaimer that the "high speed" is not consistent, but that they do guarantee that the speed will not go less than 25% of the speed of your expensive plan :P.

Cellphone connection is really bad.  Whichever carrier you choose, your call will get dropped after about 3 minutes, if you can get a signal at all. 

Despite that you've chosen a place that the landlord claims is "flood-free", the roads will still be sometimes unpassable due to floods, which rises easily even with moderate rains.

You might be living in a nice condo with nice amenities that it feels like living in first world comfort or like a resort. But at the corner of your eye, you might get a view of a squatter's area at a distant, and then come back to the reality that you're in a third world country.

The first year would be difficult, but do take comfort that many expats continued to stay and have adjusted, though at varying degrees. Over time, you'll get used to it and adapt / adjust, if you're patient enough.  You might use the aircon less, or just in the evenings, so you can have a good night's sleep.  (I would recommend an aircon with a timer.)

You will flinch a lot less, than in your first day here, when you see that other cars are inches away from your car during heavy traffic. You will learn the art of driving here, such as not making a right / left signal when you need to shift lanes during heavy traffic, otherwise, other drivers will not let you move into that space.

You will realize that the best way to have food that's prepared the same way in America is to prepare it yourself. You might email your relative to send you the recipe to your family's favorite dishes.  And save by doing substitution.  Like if you need to get the same antioxidants from blueberries, you can try a local fruit called guyabano. (I don't know if it's just me, but banana blossom heart tastes a lot like artichoke heart, though bigger and cheaper.)

The staring . . . you'll get used to it.  Sort of. Maybe.

rhica37 wrote:

hello welcome here philippines..i think you will enjoy staying in philippines but depend where place you want to stay..for me manila is bit crowded and very hot  and you can exp also about transportion is always hv heavy traffic.. but if u wish to stay tagaytay baguio dakak boracay:) im sure u enjoy but please be careful those pick pocket ;) behind ur jeans;) dont used iphone or any expensive mobile on the street specially in manila,.and if u are big eater its ok ;) but not much hhhhh im sure u enjoy here in philippines if you have a friend that you can trust

Or he could stay in Vigan, a beautiful old Spanish town and capital of Ilocos Sur.  If he is by himself, Ilocos Sur is a great place to meet beautiful, well mannered women.

A debit card works at most major banks.   You can get a form on line from BPI here and have your bank sigh it there. Then bring it with you to them and open a checking account here. Just do a money transfer to it.  And in 24 hours you have money in your checking account here. Put in what you like to have here and leave the rest in the U.S.    Large size is a problem finding cloths here.  I wear a large in the U.S. I am XXL here.  So learn to buy when you find your size here. Bring cloths with you. Shorts, tee's and such.   At the market is best to find cloths. But you need ask.  Be surprised if you ask what they have setting in a bag in the back in larger sizes they don't set out. As those don't sell well here.   Internet well you can get it here. Philippines does have it's well earned reputation to uphold there.  And in power outages as well.  So not the best.   Plan on spending more here the first few months than in the U.S.  As the taxi's like to take you to the high priced places.   Go on line and look up your town  locate the markets and such, get out and walk around town, learn the area.  The better you know your town the cheaper it is to live here.   That is why many expats tell you a maid will save you her wages and more buying for you.  She knows the town.  If you know the town you will save even more here.

I have looked at some places. I watched a video of someone who is single and moved in Moalboal. I believe he said it was 8k pesos. Was decent enough for me from what I seen. I also seen some other ones in other areas for 8k as well. Some were 2 story apartments. I am single and will not be with family and kids.

that is true if you live outside cebu city ... there are lots of places in the south of cebu other than moalboal. and you can live there for 10k-30k Pesos a month or roughly $220-$660 a month. ;D

To be honest the Philippines is a 6 bit to the dollar Country, That will cost you 10 bits to the dollar to move here. For the first 2 months.  I would not recomend Cebu. Davio, or Manila. but a town large enough to have a imigration office is a must at first.  Till you can get your 6 month stay visa.  If you are afraid to get out and walk around in the day stay home.  You need to learn the city you live in.  (Moderated: too generalised comment here) and will take you the long way around and get lost often till you can tell them were to go and were to turn. Were to shop and such. Learn to take the jeepney and the routs. If you are afraid to live in a area move on.  Tip the peddle trike drivers 5 peso as well. The average Philippino weighs 100 K you weigh 200K.  Taxi drivers for extra stops and waits and if they unload your goods fron trunk to doorstep.  U.S. 200 a month to $500 a mont for lodgeing here. 6 month to 1 year contract. Over U.S. $500 a month rent and you are into high class living like a king. Yes till you learn how to live here. you will pay more than in America. If you get out learn your town and area it will cost .75 cents on the dollar to live here. Make freinds deal with there clans and it will cost >50 cents on the dollar to live here. But get out! Make freinds, fit in. Most are afraid to do that.  Pickpockting is a National sport here not a crime as well.  So learn to protect your billfold. and wear older shoes when out. Philippino's look down on Americans. Good leather shoes and they think you have money to spare. To many Americans come here and isolate themselfs from the Philippinoes.   If you have to live in fear. It is not worth being here.  Get out walk around learn here.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

http://www.pra.gov.ph/main/srrv_program?page=1
Not sure what you consider regarding resident permit. I just sent this one to another guy.
Exept for the provice you have very good internet connection. Airconditioning only requires electricity which is available everywhere(few exceptions)
I live in Manila. For security reasons I will recommend condo in the city with security access control.
You can access your us money by means of credit card most places. But I would recommend to have a bank account since you will need some cash. Metrobank I use. Very good. You have internet banking in all Banks.
Banking system is good and very secure. Depositors a protected upto P500000.
It is relative cheap to eat out. Lot of choices of western food. You can get a good meal for $10. $20 for a couple.
You can get around by Taxi. I would recommend to have your own car long term.
Knud

What's your monthly income? If I was you, I would probably go to some of the cities where the old US Military bases were. Like Angeles City,(USAF)  or Olongapo(USN). The reason why I am saying that , is there are a lot of retired US Military there that are expats and they can show you the ropes.  Like telling you where the inexpensive hotels are, what doctors to go to, the places to avoid, etc etc .  I was stationed in Olongapo in 1992, and went back two years ago.
I lost in a lot of pool and dart games playing against some old Navy guys. It was like I never left the place. I'll retire there in four years. Maybe you can beat me in pool like every body else does.

MIGHTYLAR wrote:

What's your monthly income? If I was you, I would probably go to some of the cities where the old US Military bases were. Like Angeles City,(USAF)  or Olongapo(USN). The reason why I am saying that , is there are a lot of retired US Military there that are expats and they can show you the ropes.  Like telling you where the inexpensive hotels are, what doctors to go to, the places to avoid, etc etc .  I was stationed in Olongapo in 1992, and went back two years ago.
I lost in a lot of pool and dart games playing against some old Navy guys. It was like I never left the place. I'll retire there in four years. Maybe you can beat me in pool like every body else does.

Cebu is way too much better and more safe than Angeles or Olongapo. :D most of the retirees are buying properties and living in mactan island. try to google about mactan and you'll know why :)

professor cebu wrote:

Cebu is way too much better and more safe than Angeles or Olongapo. :D most of the retirees are buying properties and living in mactan island. try to google about mactan and you'll know why :)

Yes, they are very proud of killing a certain Spanish sea captain whose crew made it around the world.

mugtech wrote:
professor cebu wrote:

Yes, they are very proud of killing a certain Spanish sea captain whose crew made it around the world.

ill take that as a compliment coz u know the history. hahaha

As usual, there are some great thoughts in this thread, so no need repeat them.
But, from your posting - have you been to the Philippines before? If so, did you stay awhile (like more then a month)? I strongly advise you do so before you make any unchain gable life decisions. Living in the Philippines ( or any non-US country) is different. Some costs are less, some much more. If you eat local, like a Pinoy, you'll eat cheap. Eat like a Kano and you'll spend a fortune on imported sour kraut, etc. housing less, but electricity, etc. can be more.  Don't like heat? You won't like the PI, it 's a tropical country! Yes, you can run from aircon to aircon, but then, why go Philippines? Strong internet? Depends where and when. There, not terribly dependable though. Transport. For first year, use public. Then consider options.

My advice, go on an extended stay to PI, visit Manila, Cebu! Others - each for a week or so. Explore, what do you like, what's a problem? Then go home and think about whether such a drastic change makes sense for you. I see far to many people make "bad choices" on little information. Don't be one of them. Me? I'm " a big boy too" and I love the Philippines and have for 40 years.
=====================

zinsavage123 wrote:

Hello everyone :D I am new here by the way. Now I have quite a bit of questions and everyone here seems awesome so here goes.

After doing my research it seems moving to the Philippines is what many like to do. The cost of living I hear their vs the USA is quite different. I am curious about or around what you guys and gals would suggest it would cost for my needs. I am new to all of this and never looked into it until now. I am not super picky. I am a big guy however lol. So basically these things I WILL need, well to make me happy at least lol.

I get hot easily, so a/c or air conditioner is a must. I also would need very strong internet connection constantly. I am an entrepreneur. So internet connection is a must. I also like I said am a big guy and I like to eat. Other then that not too picky.

Now what about transportation? Is it needed or can I go pretty much anywhere their by other means besides car?

Curious about my money also. Can I keep my money in the USA and still live their and access it? I hear many like to do this supposably.

Would like a decently safe place also locks/windows etc etc the basics. As well as a cumfy bed and the basics. I like my privacy very much as well

Other than that right now I think this is it. I will ask more questions as I remember them all. I appreciate replies and help everyone. I am completely new to all of this so sorry for any dumb questions. Let's chat and talk about my options.

i live very comfortably on 600 dollars a month. of course not in the big city. my rent is 150 per month.. 300 for food.. and 50 for cable/internet.. another 100 for eating out a couple times a week.

At tommieboy999, your $600 dollar budget might be "comfortably" suited for Camiguin, but perhaps not as revealing as perhaps a list of typical services and goods in a general area. 

I propose that we all contribute a list of specific economic indicators in our general areas to have a more appropriate indicator.  For starters:  transportation (public commute vs. vehicle and vehicle maintenance); general doctor's visits, dental visits, medicines, grocery items, public market items, specialty items (food), typical restaurant expense (cafeteria style vs. fine restaurant).

In Taguig City, where my husband and I lived for two years before moving to Baguio City, I'd say about $1000 per person would be more appropriate.  That would include a few nights out of town on weekends where bottomless cocktails are $8 (a bargain!).  This also includes a maid full time doing all house chores.

At tommieboy999, your $600 dollar budget might be "comfortably" suited for Camiguin, but perhaps not as revealing as perhaps a list of typical services and goods in a general area

I have lived in 8 different cities in the Philippines.. the most expensive was Cebu where I paid 850 total for everything.  if your spending 2000 dollars a month anywhere in the Philippines, your living high on the hog and your wasting your money needlessly. maybe your eating out everyday and clubbing every night.  or your paying typical foreigner rent rates. my guess is they see you coming a mile away.

Figure it will cost 75 cents to the dollar to live here. Manila Cubu and such more.  Eat you can do very well here. Fish Pork, chicken, are good--- Beef is easy to find for soup meat if slow cooked 3 days. Learn the markets here shopping at the malls will cost much more. Taxis are cheaper than owning a car in the U.S. for most. Learn the jeepney routs and a cent and a 1/2 to 6 cents will get you most places about town. From my home to the big malls cost 11 peso 43 peso to the dollar.  Rent a car & driver for me is 500 peso a day + gas used for long trips. That is just a person I know with a 3rd rate car with air. But you need get out and make freinds here. Many can not do that or will not do such who come here. $2,000 a month U.S. and you can live quit well here.  If you are set up here. That is extra! Allow for inflation over the years once here. Life here is what you make it same as any were else.

tommieboy999 wrote:

At tommieboy999, your $600 dollar budget might be "comfortably" suited for Camiguin, but perhaps not as revealing as perhaps a list of typical services and goods in a general area

I have lived in 8 different cities in the Philippines.. the most expensive was Cebu where I paid 850 total for everything.  if your spending 2000 dollars a month anywhere in the Philippines, your living high on the hog and your wasting your money needlessly. maybe your eating out everyday and clubbing every night.  or your paying typical foreigner rent rates. my guess is they see you coming a mile away.

$2000 a month in Makati or Global City you will live very meagerly...To really live comfortably there you need in excess of $3000 a month...Rent alone is over $1200 month for a nice 2 bedroom condo furnished with appliances and basic furniture...I have seen some units less than 70 sqm go for $2000 a month, but have fantastic 180 degree views of the city...

Thanks for all your input Tommy. I am retiring in the Philippines in four years and you have been very helpful. I was thinking about to Palawan, but with all the problems with China I don't know if I should be that close to the front lines. Hopefully, the powers that be will have gotten everything straightened out by then. Take care and keep up the great posts.

Dont worry about living in the phil,all u need is toknow where u stay and get condo or apprtment near to ur work so that u cannot encounter the heavy traffic espaecialy in manila..

Hi everybody,

Please note that some inappropriate posts (insults and off topic) have been removed from this discussion.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

People can make recommendations that a certain city or town would be the best for expats.  But what worked out for them might not work out for you. And you cannot really know which city or town or condo / residence is best suited for you and your budget until after you've tried staying there.

Many have recommended Makati City or BGC if you plan to stay in Metro Manila.  But rent in those places are a lot more expensive compared to other neighboring cities.  Me, I live in Quezon City.  Rent is cheaper compared to Makati or BGC.  (I don't rent though.  I have my own house.) Some shudder at the thought of living here.  But there are areas here that are suitable, like where I'm at  (at least to me) . 

I live near 3 malls (less than a 5 min drive): SM Fairview, Ayala Terraces and Robinsons Malls. A public market and a small hospital (Commonwealth Medical Center), and my work are about a 5 min drive.There are many 24-hour convenience stores and pharmacies. The office of my most VIP client is walking distance away.  (So if the fax is not working, I can just walk there to hand over a price quote.) A major hospital (FEU Medical Center) is about a 10 min drive, which has more resident doctors at their ER compared to Commonwealth Medical.   My kid's schools are about a 3 to 5 minute drive. So, I can pick up the kids from school, bring them home, and be back at my work in 15-20 minutes. My husband's work is farther than mine, but still just a 30 minute drive or less depending on traffic. It doesn't get flooded where I'm at.  (But a few miles away, at Fairview, it floods easily at areas near a creek.) This is my niche.  Most of the things I need are here. I'm happy at my place in Quezon City.

It may take several tries to eventually find your niche.  I would recommend my area, considering that it would be easy to get your basic needs, a hospital, shopping areas, no floods. (There are laundry services nearby who charge per kilogram of clothes' weight) The condos have 24-hour security.  I've noticed that there has been an influx of foreigners at my area, especially after a condo, Redwoods, had been completed, where there are foreigners who either own or rent a unit.  There are two more condos being built here: Trees Residence and Neopolitan.  You can give my area a try when you get here.

FilAmericanMom wrote:

People can make recommendations that a certain city or town would be the best for expats.  But what worked out for them might not work out for you. And you cannot really know which city or town or condo / residence is best suited for you and your budget until after you've tried staying there.

Many have recommended Makati City or BGC if you plan to stay in Metro Manila.  But rent in those places are a lot more expensive compared to other neighboring cities.  Me, I live in Quezon City.  Rent is cheaper compared to Makati or BGC.  (I don't rent though.  I have my own house.) Some shudder at the thought of living here.  But there are areas here that are suitable, like where I'm at  (at least to me) . 

I live near 3 malls (less than a 5 min drive): SM Fairview, Ayala Terraces and Robinsons Malls. A public market and a small hospital (Commonwealth Medical Center), and my work are about a 5 min drive.There are many 24-hour convenience stores and pharmacies. The office of my most VIP client is walking distance away.  (So if the fax is not working, I can just walk there to hand over a price quote.) A major hospital (FEU Medical Center) is about a 10 min drive, which has more resident doctors at their ER compared to Commonwealth Medical.   My kid's schools are about a 3 to 5 minute drive. So, I can pick up the kids from school, bring them home, and be back at my work in 15-20 minutes. My husband's work is farther than mine, but still just a 30 minute drive or less depending on traffic. It doesn't get flooded where I'm at.  (But a few miles away, at Fairview, it floods easily at areas near a creek.) This is my niche.  Most of the things I need are here. I'm happy at my place in Quezon City.

It may take several tries to eventually find your niche.  I would recommend my area, considering that it would be easy to get your basic needs, a hospital, shopping areas, no floods. (There are laundry services nearby who charge per kilogram of clothes' weight) The condos have 24-hour security.  I've noticed that there has been an influx of foreigners at my area, especially after a condo, Redwoods, had been completed, where there are foreigners who either own or rent a unit.  There are two more condos being built here: Trees Residence and Neopolitan.  You can give my area a try when you get here.

What is the rent cost of 2 and 3 bedroom units with 2 baths in that area....Thanks...

vetretreat wrote:

What is the rent cost of 2 and 3 bedroom units with 2 baths in that area....Thanks...

Rent depends on how much the landlord thinks his unit is worth.  For a fully furnished 2-bedroom unit at Redwoods Condo, which is next to Ayala Fairview Terraces mall, rent is roughly around PhP18k to 25k.  I don't know how much for a 3 bedroom. Homeowners' association dues are computed based on the floor area of the unit. One of my clients owns a 3-bedroom unit. She said HA dues for her bigger unit is PhP5.5k to 6k per month.

Thanks FilAmericanMom...So the total would be about 25 to 35k per month not counting utilities which will probably be in access of 5K per month for power and then there is the gas/ water bill and also I'm sure they charge for auto parking...Am I right???...But still less than half of what most comparable Makati and GBC units would cost....

Are those quotes for one or two baths...??

I may have been misunderstood earlier when I posted a comment on the $600 budget for Camiquin Island.

What I wanted to show is that as a third world country, the Philippines does have a high-end (even very high end) area and a very lower end $600 area as in Camiquin islands.  This is to give everyone a good idea of the spectrum whereas to choose to live.  If you have a business or inclination to live in a high-end city, we have a few that will definitely compete with amenities most first world cities would have (and I say this with tongue-in-cheek trepidation), plus a personal driver, maid/s or personal butler.  One single expat I met hired himself what he prefers to call a "henchman".

The perspective of whether living expenses are cheap are very subjective.  After all, you choose to live comfortably on your own.  Whether it is cheaper will depend on where you currently live.  BGC or Makati is a bargain compared to Dallas, TX, for sure.

The 2-bedroom units only have 1 bathroom. 3-bedrooms have 2.  Probably most, if not all, of the 3-bedrooms are owner occupied. Parking would be PhP3.5k to 4k Back in 2011, I was planning to buy a 3-br unit as a starter home for my family to live in, but they were sold out. I also considered that my 2 very young kids would ride the glass elevator until they get bored, or they could accidentally drown in the pool. The compound with 5 (or was it 4?) 5-story buildings has electrified fences and 24-hour roving security.

For you guys would want to stay near my area, you might be able to find more info through google.

FilAmericanMom wrote:

The 2-bedroom units only have 1 bathroom. 3-bedrooms have 2.  Probably most, if not all, of the 3-bedrooms are owner occupied. Parking would be PhP3.5k to 4k Back in 2011, I was planning to buy a 3-br unit as a starter home for my family to live in, but they were sold out. I also considered that my 2 very young kids would ride the glass elevator until they get bored, or they could accidentally drown in the pool. The compound with 5 (or was it 4?) 5-story buildings has electrified fences and 24-hour roving security.

For you guys would want to stay near my area, you might be able to find more info through google.

Now I know why I have chosen beautiful Mindoro...No air pollution, Sweet water, black top highways with little traffic, almost no jeepneys, very little dengue and no malaria, beautiful sunrises and sunsets, no beggars, very little crime, friendly people, 95 sqm ground floor condo with 3 BR, 3 baths, free garage, with veranda right on the beach for 10K a month...Almost no need for A/C so utilities are less than 3K monthly...But has some drawbacks, very slow BB internet, no land line phone service, occasional brownouts, must travel 50 clicks for good shopping, substandard medical and quite a bit of boredom if you like variety....Overall the PROS outweigh the CONS....

Dang it ! You say you are a American living in the Philippines and it seems by your post you don't want any other Americans to move there ! Lmao

Dude, I have visited many places inn the world.I am from Austin Texas.You need to visit places and stay there a few months before even thinking of moving there.It's all great to see a video or even visit a place on vacation! It's a whole different thing to live there. I enjoyed many parts of Asia though I never felt the people were that friendly to Americans in general.I did make some good friends but nothing like  many other places such as Brazil,Costa Rica ,Canada etc....  ! First thing is to compare true cost of living of your city and the city you want to live in.Almost never expect to find a good job as a expat in a new country! If any country seems too good to be true ! It's cause it's most often bs ! Many parts of Asia you can't own a home as a expat.As you can in the USA and in a few other countries ! Good luck !!!!!!!!

rc206 wrote:

Dude, I have visited many places inn the world.I am from Austin Texas.You need to visit places and stay there a few months before even thinking of moving there.It's all great to see a video or even visit a place on vacation! It's a whole different thing to live there. I enjoyed many parts of Asia though I never felt the people were that friendly to Americans in general.I did make some good friends but nothing like  many other places such as Brazil,Costa Rica ,Canada etc....  ! First thing is to compare true cost of living of your city and the city you want to live in.Almost never expect to find a good job as a expat in a new country! If any country seems too good to be true ! It's cause it's most often bs ! Many parts of Asia you can't own a home as a expat.As you can in the USA and in a few other countries ! Good luck !!!!!!!!

What up there rc, Owning a home in the US can be a real nightmare...High taxes, maintenance costs, Association fees, the expense can go on and on and when you have had enough of it you find you cant get your investment back so in many cases you end up taking a loss...I have been in mid Texas...Great to visit but live I would take the Philippines any day...

tommieboy999 wrote:

i live very comfortably on 600 dollars a month. of course not in the big city. my rent is 150 per month.. 300 for food.. and 50 for cable/internet.. another 100 for eating out a couple times a week.

Let's see, you live COMFORTABLY on $600 a month...Let us do a little addition:

150   Rent
300   Food
100   Eating OUT
  50   Cable/Internet

600   TOTAL

That means you have FREE POWER, FREE GAS, you get your WATER from the local stream or river and use IODINE pills to treat it, You never get sick or need medication, You have no teeth so no need for a dentist,  You walk or bike everywhere you go and your bike is equipped with a rack so you can load your groceries to get home, You don't drink or go to bars for entertainment, all the tricycle and jeepney drivers love you and will never charge you in case you need to go on a long trip, you hitchhike to Manila to upgrade your visa extensions and immigration is very gratuitous to you and never charge, your average day is watching cable or on the computer better known as a couch potato, of course your wife or GF has no need of extras in their life so there is no added expense for them because they are  of the simpleton clan...You are content with all the above and never get bored because you have the same beautiful scenery to amuse you day in and day out...MAN AM I EVER ENVIOUS OF YOUR COMFORTABLE LIFE...Please show me the way....

I love Texas and it's way cheaper in Austin Texas than it is in the Philippines. It's much safer and you can own your own home. The economy is one of the best if not the best in the United States. So far we have had no Terrorist Muslim groups trying to do anything here in Texas ! We don't have any terrible tsunamis  or giant crocodiles !Good luck on living Philippines  or any parts of Asia  i've traveled all over Asia and never felt safe. And even though I have friends there. The people in general are not that friendly to foreigners. Especially towards Americans. Unless they want something from you. This is why I will be buying a Beachhouse soon in northeast Brazil  the cost of living there is very very cheap   And the areas that I'm looking at are very safe, the food ,the music ,the Scenery all are great! And Brazil has some of the nicest people in the world and most are very friendly towards Americans! Just like Texas has some of the friendliest people  ! Except for all the people that have moved here from New York LA Chicago etc. lol. No place is perfect but I travel around the world and so far Northeast Brazil is the place for me! Good luck on the Philippines and enjoy!!!! The other thing is I can own a home in Brazil just the same as I own a home in America. Just at a much better price and better scenery. And the costs Of owning a home in TX  and Brazil is much cheaper than renting in many other parts of the world  ! You have the peace of mind that you own it. If you take care of it and you buy good property them the cost of maintaining it is not that high! Good luck. One iast thing. The house I bought amost 2 years today. Is worth $90,000 more than I paid for it in South Austin Texas. So. I would say that's a pretty darn good investment for me. Show me where In Asia that you can make that ? Show me where in Asia where you can really own the property free and clear ? Good luck.  I not saying there aren't places for Americans to live nice in Asia but I no sooo many Americans that moved to Asia and didn't like it all and moved right back! I have not met one American that moved to Northeast Brazil and didn't like it!!!! Later.

rc206 wrote:

I love Texas and it's way cheaper in Austin Texas than it is in the Philippines. It's much safer and you can own your own home. The economy is one of the best if not the best in the United States. So far we have had no Terrorist Muslim groups trying to do anything here in Texas ! We don't have any terrible tsunamis  or giant crocodiles !Good luck on living Philippines  or any parts of Asia  i've traveled all over Asia and never felt safe. And even though I have friends there. The people in general are not that friendly to foreigners. Especially towards Americans. Unless they want something from you. This is why I will be buying a Beachhouse soon in northeast Brazil  the cost of living there is very very cheap   And the areas that I'm looking at are very safe, the food ,the music ,the Scenery all are great! And Brazil has some of the nicest people in the world and most are very friendly towards Americans! Just like Texas has some of the friendliest people  ! Except for all the people that have moved here from New York LA Chicago etc. lol. No place is perfect but I travel around the world and so far Northeast Brazil is the place for me! Good luck on the Philippines and enjoy!!!! The other thing is I can own a home in Brazil just the same as I own a home in America. Just at a much better price and better scenery. And the costs Of owning a home in TX  and Brazil is much cheaper than renting in many other parts of the world  ! You have the peace of mind that you own it. If you take care of it and you buy good property them the cost of maintaining it is not that high! Good luck. One iast thing. The house I bought amost 2 years today. Is worth $90,000 more than I paid for it in South Austin Texas. So. I would say that's a pretty darn good investment for me. Show me where In Asia that you can make that ? Show me where in Asia where you can really own the property free and clear ? Good luck.  I not saying there aren't places for Americans to live nice in Asia but I no sooo many Americans that moved to Asia and didn't like it all and moved right back! I have not met one American that moved to Northeast Brazil and didn't like it!!!! Later.

Where are the best places in NE Brazil to live and how much do you need monthly to live comfortably including medical and transportation...Also, do most of the locals speak English or does one have to learn to speak Portugese...It is not an easy language to learn...

Hi. If you will go to the expat part on Brazil then check with the expats that live near Fortaleza. They can give you I more info. They can also give you a site that will compare your city with Fortaleza   I am looking at small towns near there like Cumbuco and others. Which are much cheaper. I also set up trips for people that like to go to brazil. I am in Mexico right now but when I get back   I will shoot you some links and info. I live Brazil but it's not fir everyone. It's a much slower pace but the people are sooo nice. As fir English   Their is a small expat to be living there but you want to learn some Portuguese for sure I have visited many places over the years I recommend anybody is thinking about leaving their home country to visit several countries for several months before they decide to move. I use the Rosetta Stone and I highly recommend it for Portuguese or any language. The most expensive things that I have found are anything that is imported to Brazil like electronics cars etc. It's best to buy those before you come to Brazil. I really recommend people traveled to several countries and stay there several times for at least a month at a time to get idea where they want to move to. Never go by just what people tell you because everybody is different in their taster not the same. Brazil has a good economy and a stable government for the most part! I know Ecuador is much cheaper but I don't like the government. Brazil you can own property just like you can US as an expatriate here. Talk to you soon.

rc206 has not lived in the Philippines.  (Based upon his profile flags.) 

I certainly love Austin, TX.  Yes, there are never going to be tsunamis there.  Hardly has there ever been any hurricanes neither.  If given the opportunity, I'd move there.  The only aside is how hot it gets during the summer.  OMG HOT!  You can't have it all, Austin.  But, you are certainly a great city.

Brazil certainly is also a terrific place.  I don't mind learning Portugese or Spanish, even. 

All I know is that I am lovin' Baguio City right now.  Is it the pine tree forest outside my window, or the morning cool breeze?  I do know that it is never going to be as vibrant as Metro Manila.  I also do know that my personality at my age has changed to a more docile creature of habit.  I enjoy good/great company anywhere.  Baguio has lots of that.  I enjoy the beach, too.  La Union is only an hour away. 

As an advocate of retirement here in the Philippines, rc206 is absolutely right.  One must visit first, extend for a certain number of months at least, before committing to retiring here in the Philippines.  We are doing exactly that with our bed&breakfast.  We encourage expats to travel, stay, enjoy.  Then, come back and retire in the future.  Our b&b will eventually be converted to a retirement haven for expats (as our business plan).  I am looking forward to more post like rc206, to be able to compare destinations.  In my plan, I'd like a network where we could retire with a choice of several destinations.  I'd like to spend a few weeks in Brazil, a few weeks in TX and a few more weeks in Europe.  Any other retirement b&b's out there want to collaborate?  Please contact me.

This sounds like a great ideas ! I was in the Philippines when I was in the Navy and I was there again about three years ago. And don't give me wrong I did like the Philippines. The friends I made there were wonderful. I don't want to discourage anyone from moving there or anywhere else  My main point is to spend time at the places you're interested in and to visit them several times to see if it's the place you want to retire. Texas is not perfect and it is hot in the coast of Texas does have hurricanes . We also have drought floods and tornadoes too. As you said no place is perfect. I'm hoping to live part of year in Texas and part of the year in Brazil. As I love both places. I will also be traveling to other places to check them out as well. Thanks Albert for your post.