Moving to Oslo

Hei!

My name is Grant, I am a 26 year old civil engineer, originally from New Zealand but currently working in the UK. Due to relationship with a Norwegian lady, I am looking at the potential of moving and working in the greater Oslo area.

Interested in ideas for the best way to meet people, make friends and find my feet if I was to make the shift!

Do we have a generally positive outlook on life in Norway, and for someone in my shoes?

cheers,

Grant C

gcla068 wrote:

Do we have a generally positive outlook on life in Norway, and for someone in my shoes?

I can't speak for the rest of the "we" here but as my first anniversary of full-time Norwegian life approaches, I'm pretty happy with life here. Love the access to the forest, love where I live, love the variety of people I'm getting to know, and I'm actually quite happy with my experience with the (sometimes controversial) healthcare system.

Civil engineering jobs in the Oslo area are abundant- check linkedin for some ideas. What I don't know is how easy getting a work visa is for such positions.

Morning :)

Thanks for the reply!

Have you tried taking on the language? I have heard this is quite important if planning to fully embrace the life?

As a New Zealander and not a a EU passport holder it may be a touch more difficult but hopefully there is a way!

cheers,

Grant C

gcla068 wrote:

Have you tried taking on the language? I have heard this is quite important if planning to fully embrace the life?

Yes, I've taken classes and have been working with the written language for years. It's not just essential for full life embracing as you say, but also because the English penetration in government offices is not quite as deep as in some places. I lived in Iceland for years before coming here and in most cases there you can expect people will be able to switch seamlessly to English. It's less likely here IME.

If you know another Germanic/Scandinavian language, it's a relatively easy language to pick up (although it can be difficult to keep all the similar vocabulary properly segregated). I know Germans who have achieved B1 level in a year of study while also working full time.

Hi Grant C,

I created a new thread with your posts on the Oslo forum for more visibility.

Thank you,

Priscilla  :cheers:

It looks good for you.

You have qualifications that makes you attractive for the Norwegian market. I would recommend you to learn some Norwegian prior to arrival, so that potential employers see you're serious about your project. It would show them you will continue to learn the language while in Norway.
It will also prevent you from falling into the usual Anglophone pit:
- doesn't know Norwegian > "everyone" speaks English to you
- see that English is not enough > learn some Norwegian
- everyone you know is used to speak English to you + new people hear your struggles and your accent > don't switch > no progress in Norwegian > stuck as a wallflower.

Your relation with a Norwegian lady will greatly ease your integration here. You will meet her friends, who probably know some foreigners or friends who...
Norwegian classes are also a great way to make two or three friends. You can also join clubs and pubs.

good morning , i want to ask about my situation i live in poland  i have my residency  for one years , i want to know , if i can work in norway any work , any job, and where , any adress ? if someone there can help me  , we be in contact  phone and email ,

First off: do you hold a Schengen/EU passport?

I answered to BABS1965 on the French-speaking forum.
If you are not a EU citizen but have residency permit in Poland, you can travel to Norway without visa.
For the rest you can check here: http://www.udi.no/en/want-to-apply/work-immigration/