Extended Stay In Puerto Rico

Hello all -

I am considering going to Puerto Rico for an extended stay (approx. 5 months) before I move on to do an international MBA program. I really just want to go down there do get away from the hustle and bustle of the mainland, enjoy the sun/sand/surf, and to get my Spanish back up to speed. I'm at a pretty high level of comprehension right now, just need to get my speaking skills up to par.

I have plenty of money saved up so that is not an issue. My main concerns/questions revolve around getting around and choosing the right area of the island to suit me. Is it possible to get by without a car? I would be hesitant to buy one while I'm there so that I could avoid the hassle of reselling it 5 months later but if it's a necessity, I would be able to. Would a scooter suffice? Also, I'm not sure what area of the island would be best suited for me. I'm from Florida so ideally I would like a place very close to the beach, preferably with decent surf. I would also like to be in a town with a decent amount of people/cultural offerings. I was thinking Ponce but I don't know how the surf is there.

Anyway, sorry for the long post and thanks for reading all the way thru if you did. Any advice, good/bad/neutral is welcome. Cheers!!

David

Getting around without a car is possible if you have another means of transport. Public transport is (very) limited. I personally wouldn't want to use a scooter - traffic here is, ehm, hectic.. Then again many (young) people use scooters.
For surfing you want to be at the north coast and if you you need a decent size town close by I would recommend the North-west corner of the island. Mayaguez is a decent size town.

Here's an overview of the surfer beaches: http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/Central_A … erto_Rico/

Gary wrote:

Getting around without a car is possible if you have another means of transport. Public transport is (very) limited. I personally wouldn't want to use a scooter - traffic here is, ehm, hectic.. Then again many (young) people use scooter.

I don't think I would mind a scooter for travel in and around the town I live in, but would it be possible to drive it from say Mayaguez to San Juan? I know it's about 2 hrs or so, would that be possible via scooter or would I have to rent a car to visit other parts of the island? Also, could you give me just a general overview of the cost of living i.e. price of a beer in a bar and/or in the grocery store, groceries, etc.? Anything you think a regular 27 yo male would buy.

Thanks Gary!! I've read alot of your posts and you seem to give honest, helpful advice. Thank you for being active and reaching out to those of us who are interested in sharing some of the island with you!

Dave, I would definitely not travel from Mayaguez to San Juan on a scooter. Like you say it's OK for local traffic but IMO that's about it. If you want to visit the rest of the island you would be better off to look for a special deal at a rental agency and rent a car for a week or so.

The cost of living should be more or less at the same level as in the mainland USA.

Hi, I agree with almost everything Gary said, except for the scooter. Bare in mind that Puerto Rico is a tropical, thus rainy place. It rains almost everday, you will get wet very often if you choose to move in a sccoter. From my point of view a car is unavoidable if you want to know the island. As Gary posted, the Northwest of the island is the best place for surfing. While Mayaguez is a more important city, I would prefer the neighboring Aguadilla, it is a GREAT!!!! place to live and the surfing beaches are located there.

Thanks for your input!! I've been told alot about Aguadilla, Rincon, and the surrounding area. I am looking into that side of the island but what about the East side of PR? More specifically, the Luquillo and Fajardo areas? It seems that that area is close to alot of activities (not the prime area for surfing but that is ok) i.e. rainforest, Culebra and Vieques, nice beaches, etc. It is in proximity to San Juan and tourism is big there so there may be an opportunity for a small, part-time job doing something (not important what it is, just something to keep me busy).

Ideally, I just want a town that is big enough to meet people and offer things to do (outdoor activites as well as some sort of social scene) but not too big to where I will get lost in the shuffle. I only plan on being there for about 4 months before I move on to Argentina for an MBA program so my time in PR is meant to 1) get used to hearing Spanish again (I am conversational but just need to get back in the groove of speaking it, shouldn't take long) and 2) enjoy the island life for a little while before I get back to the grind.

Any thoughts/suggestions on this idea? Thanks for what you have already contributed, any more advice is greatly appreciated.

David

Thanks for the heads up! Sounds pretty hectic, but not unlike the way they drive in Spain or other parts of the world that I have been to where the lanes that are painted on the road are more for decoration than anything else:) What are your thoughts on purchasing a cheap car for 4 months while I am there? I know the island is loaded with automobiles, are there alot of used car lots or "for sale by owner" cars available? I've checked craigslist but I wanted to get an opinion from someone who lives there. I wouldn't want to spend more than $1000 and would want to sell it before I left. Any thoughts? The car thing is turning out to be the biggest sticking point for me now. I will be there at the beginning of Sept. for 4 days to check it out but any more advice is always appreciated. Cheers!!!

David

Just to remind you that this post is dated 2010 expatter12!;)

Harmonie.