Looking for friends and a job!

Hi everyone. Thought I'd test the water out and see what's happening on here. Me and my wife are moving to Abu Dhabi around October so am hoping to make some friends. We have lots back home but don't know anyone in the UAE! Well I don't anyway... My wife will know her work colleagues as she already works with them in the Netherlands. We are going to join some sports clubs when we arrive and jump straight in the deep end and try to mingle in with other people. We have never been to the UAE but have heard plenty of good things about it. We are excited for our new adventure but I'm worried about not getting a job. I like to keep busy and don't want to be on my own everyday having nothing to do and not knowing anybody! I'm sure I'm just worrying a bit too much but I think it's understandable.

Hello there
Welcome to you and your family ..iam mohamed and expatriate here . Iam seeking English speaking friends too

Hi Steve,

I am also from the UK, London more specifically. I have lived in Abu Dhabi for nearly 2 1/2 years with my girlfriend, and love it here. I work for a British company out here so luckily have managed to meet people pretty quickly.
Everyone is in the same position when they move out to a new country so your worries are understandable.
Once you move out here or even beforehand, dont hesitate in getting in touch with any questions, I am happy to help wherever I can.

Krish

Hiya Steve

Hope the move goes well for you both. Are you moving here with your wife's job? I am going to be nosey now - is she Dutch? What with working in the Netherlands. I have a very close friend who is Dutch and would love to meet up.
Do you plan on working here? If so what kind of job are you fancying? I don't think it will be too difficult to get a job, if you want to work somewhere just go there directly and take your CV, make them see you and know you are here. 1 thing as a guider for your CV, upload a picture onto it if you haven't already got one on, most companies out here like to look at a picture ha (strange I know)

Get in touch if you have any questions :-)

Laura

Hi Laura. Thanks so much for the thread you sent over. It's not quite my sort of thing but really appreciate the help.

My wife Saoirse isn't Dutch, she's English too. Saoirse commutes to Holland most weeks. The project she's working on moves over to the UAE.

We are excited about it all. It will be so nice to see sun everyday! How did you end up in Abu Dhabi? Are you enjoying it? Is it easy enough to meet people?

You're welcome  :)

Long commute to Holland but great opportunity. It will be great to move over here, sun all day long! I've been here 4years and love it, I came out here with my fiance, he got a job here and I moved to be with him too. It's the best move we ever made, we've got more friends here than in the UK! When u arrive let me know and we can't get together.

laura

Do u beleive in God,if yes,so don't worry,if He decide for you to come to uae,He will do better for you...I am in Abu dhabi....keep in touch.....

Thanks just what i needed my name is Solomon Ogbode whats yours? God is great He is the owner of every thing

My name is Ibrahim,I am doing job in Abu dhabi...where you from?when u r comming???these days weather is very hot...all time air condition??

Really, i need to find a job in the uae can you get one for me? am hard working and ready to do any job i basically, reside in Africa,if i get a job now, am ready to come.

Hi Steve,

I too moved to Dubai a while ago from London. It is initially a daunting experience to pack up and leave. Don't fret, you will make lots of friends when you move there. People are very friendly! You also have to make the effort to speak to people and not sit back and wait for it to happen. Abu Dhabi is more laid back than Dubai. I have no doubt you will enjoy your stay. Finding a job can be challenging. It all depends on experience. It'll definitely be easier for you to look for work while you're out there. Contact several agencies, and sites such as Bayt.com, Dubizzle, monstermiddleeast, nakurigulf and even totaljobs.com are useful.

I hope it's an easy transition for you and your wife. You'll love it out here!

Good luck!