How long can it take?

Hi,

Hubby had interview by phone and then by skype in April, but when he contacts both the agency here and the company that the jobs for, they tell him he needs to wait. 2 weeks ago they contacted him to finalise what they were going to offer, but we've still heard nothing. In one breath he's been told they want him, but then he gets no replies on what's going on.
As a family who have just sold our house and need to move out in 8 weeks, it would be nice to know what's going on.....we feel like we are in limbo.
Xx

did you get an offer or not? usually the offer part is quickly done, the wait is for the visa, in my experience.

Not had the offer in writing yet, only been told verbally over the phone by both agent here and the company there, they called just 2 weeks ago to ensure that they had all included in the package that he'd asked for......but now he emails them and just gets told.....they will bet back to him!

sarahngeoff wrote:

Not had the offer in writing yet, only been told verbally over the phone by both agent here and the company there, they called just 2 weeks ago to ensure that they had all included in the package that he'd asked for......but now he emails them and just gets told.....they will bet back to him!

You are talking about a country where even job offers in writing can be reverted let alone a word of mouth. I have been sent a draft contract for review and then no response for weeks. And upon inquiring I was told that the position has been  filled internally (whatever that means). Also things here take forever in approvals. Take this as a preview of how business is conducted here. If I were you i would set myself a cut over date after which you can execute your backup plan.

Sarah,

I sympathyse with you and I can understand what you are going through. There is hardly any point in telling you "what you should have done" since you can not undo a lot of things. Perhaps our other forum members will read this and will be saved from similar agony.

The  recruitment agents or the "HEAD HUNTERS" are normally on a commission ( which is normally 1 month package of your salary), since the middle east in general and Saudi in particular is surrounded by lots of myths and fears in the minds of western expats, a lot of people turn down the offer at the last moment, as a solution the agents "overbook" which some times results in situations like yours. I honestly believe there is no job waiting for you and companies do not  make verbal offers.

One of our friends has made a comment on how un reliabe the written offers are in KSA, I do not want to get into an  unnecessary discussion, I have lived , studied and worked in the UK for long years and I can prove to you that the law in Saudi is more protective of the employees as compared to many so called first world countries.

A practical solution is that the husband takes up the job in Saudi and the wife and the family stays back for up to 6 months, once the initial hurdles e.g. probation, housing and kids education are sorted out, only then comes the time to sell your property and belongings.

I wish you good luck.

There isn't any law stopping your hubby applying elsewhere. He can get the application process started elsewhere and, as long as he's open with all parties, no one should take offence (if they do maybe it's best not to do business with them). As said before, things can take a long time here, but that in no way means the recruiter's being dishonest, just that you have to be pretty flexible and understand things are done differently, compared to back home.