Confused... help please

Hi, me and my parents are thinking on moving to Uruguay, but im confused...
Is it worth it living in Uruguay? Ive read that we can live with no worries with $1000 month some people say only with $3000 a month for each person, others say even more( if thats the case whats the point in leaving Europe? thats double or more what a normal person make a month... ), so which one is it?

I live in Algarve/Portugal and i wanted to move to a similar place but cheaper living, for those that dont know Algarve in Portugal seems to be similar to Punta del Este ( place where people go for vacation, very lively in the summer more calm in the winter ).

We are thinking on buying a house ( so no rent ).
So can anyone tell me how much does it really cost to live in Uruguay? Not like a king but with no worries.
(in punta del este or similar/closer place/area )

ps: right now im between Uruguay, Ecuador and Panama, what are your opinions between those countries?

This article has some numbers that might help....
http://www.olauruguay.com/2010/06/27/co … uick-guide

Shirley

Sephius

Hi

For 3 people ( I am assuming for you and your parents)you can live comfortably with u$1500/month , give or take a few hundred.
Punta del Este is probably the best place to live in all of South America but is expensive. You are better off living in Montevideo or La costa de Oro,( La costa de Oro is about 45 minutes from Montevideo) buying a nice house in the neighborhoods of Pocitos or Prado. As far as safety Uruguay is by far the safest when compared to Panama or Ecuador, it has better infrastructure, more educated population, better schools etc, Being from Portugal yourself you will find a lot of similarities with your country, in the architecture of its buildings and its people since Portugal played a very important rol in Uruguay's history and development. its proximity with Brasil makes it possible for people to understand portugese. Also, if you are of school age, you can go to the university for free, never have to pay a single cent, unless you choose a private one.
Anyhow, should you have anymore questions i'll be happy to answer them. I am a native uruguayan living in USA for many years.